Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    I bought my aspherical mirrors from the same guy on ebay in late summer of 2015 (BP helped me smuggle those in to winter wonderland during his visit).

The driver's side has held up no issues. The passenger side has developed large brown spots due to heat/moisture or whatever reason. It started from the sides and then spread towards the center of the mirror just like the picture posted here by another member. This led me to believe that it might be moisture seeping in...but it seems BP has a different (and probably correct) theory.
    Rus mentioned most of them fail due to a bad seal between the glass itself and the reflective coating. Water seeps in and reacts with the blue tint, causing it to rust. In removing my old mirrors, one piece of glass came completely detached from its backing, and the other was starting to come up. He mentioned that heating had nothing to do with it - glass without the blue tint does not rust. I figure if this pair from the new batch goes bad, I can have them replace again, and this time they will not be heated!
    - Evan - Karting Thread - YouTube -

Quote Originally Posted by E_Rak View Post
    Rus mentioned most of them fail due to a bad seal between the glass itself and the reflective coating. Water seeps in and reacts with the blue tint, causing it to rust. In removing my old mirrors, one piece of glass came completely detached from its backing, and the other was starting to come up. He mentioned that heating had nothing to do with it - glass without the blue tint does not rust. I figure if this pair from the new batch goes bad, I can have them replace again, and this time they will not be heated!
    Interesting. The seal on my glass looks fine; I don't see how water is getting in there. I wonder how it happens...

Also, my rust spots are on the bottom, so if water was getting in, it would have to travel upwards to create those kinds of rust spots.

Here's a couple of pics:

You know, looking at these pics... I do realize that all that salt may be contributing to this. Salt seems to get EVERYWHERE, and with the water, it is helped with travel. Hmm...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Also, my rust spots are on the bottom, so if water was getting in, it would have to travel upwards to create those kinds of rust spots.

You know, looking at these pics... I do realize that all that salt may be contributing to this. Salt seems to get EVERYWHERE, and with the water, it is helped with travel. Hmm...
    Water is not 'travelling upwards' so to say. Moisture seems to be getting in between the glass and the reflective coating and the coating then starts to rust every which way possible, including upwards. Its akin to a metallic door panel starting to rust from the bottom and then the rust spreads upwards.

Yes, I think salt might also contribute to the rusting just like how it speeds up rusting metallic on parts in our cars.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Autozone.com
    The two I got from Charlie are doing the same thing but haven't gotten any since I rarely drive it in the rain and it hasn't been in snow since 2008
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930