Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    It happens when I go full throttle and then start to ease off of throttle approaching redline. Or, it is also happening if I try to hold the RPM's at about 5k or so and lightly modulate the throttle. Very annoying, and a bit dangerous when I was in the long sweeping turns 8 and 9.

Video is up from one of the earlier sessiosn that day:

https://youtu.be/79K8W73SZ24
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    ESS Twin Screw Stage 2 - Wavetrac - Headers - Borla - BMW Performance
    Turner Motorsports - Powerflex - Hawk Performance

Build thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...yan-s-2003-ZHP
    Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
    Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
    It happens when I go full throttle and then start to ease off of throttle approaching redline. Or, it is also happening if I try to hold the RPM's at about 5k or so and lightly modulate the throttle. Very annoying, and a bit dangerous when I was in the long sweeping turns 8 and 9.

Looks like a good time. Thanks for sharing.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Yes
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Which brings me to this e46 chassis, I really think its sweet spot is 300whp or so. With a summer street tire in the stock sizes and LSD, its just the right amount of power. The car is able to put it down quite nicely. I also think this chassis is very well balanced. I did not have any problem turning in at all (I employed trailbraking, which means the front of the car was loaded upon turn-in and it worked really well), I never felt like the front end was plowing at all, it turned in very well, went neutral mid-turn, and then rolling onto the throttle caused the weight to shift and the rear end to bite down and power out. I REALLY liked the way the car felt today.

I'm also happy to report that I didn't notice any heatsoak with the TS2 at all, and I ran her HARD today. It was a pleasure overtaking mustangs, C6 corvettes, and really everything I came across. I'm sure there were quite a few surprised drivers to see an almost 15-year old little 330i pressing in their rear view

I did however have challenges with my tune from ESS. I've had an issue where the car will buck if I ease off full throttle above 4k RPMs. And, on the track, this is downright scary and dangerous. So I'll be taking this up with ESS and demanding they address it.
    that is great news about the lack of heatsoak... and WOW did the speed build quickly above 70MPH in your video!

re: the chassis - now that you've done a track day with all of that rubber in the rear suspension, imagine how well you'll get the power down with some tweaks. spherical RTABs and lock down the rear subframe and diff and you'll be amazed at not only more grip, but how smooth it will be.

thanks for the video! i love the semi-muted bits.... i can appreciate your frustration.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    that is great news about the lack of heatsoak... and WOW did the speed build quickly above 70MPH in your video!

re: the chassis - now that you've done a track day with all of that rubber in the rear suspension, imagine how well you'll get the power down with some tweaks. spherical RTABs and lock down the rear subframe and diff and you'll be amazed at not only more grip, but how smooth it will be.

thanks for the video! i love the semi-muted bits.... i can appreciate your frustration.
    lol! You nailed me! I couldn't let everyone hear my potty mouth lol! There was a miata out there that day that I swear drove 30mph around every corner, it was brutal.

Funny you mention the spherical RTABs, I was just researching those last night. I'm trying to find reports whether NVH is increased with them or if its not noticable. I was thinking Bimmerworld but synchro design works look super sexy and are sealed. I'm not sure how either compare to Turner's monoball RTAB either though, so I have more researching to do. I also think its time I get adjustable rear control arms so I can finally get the camber setting correct back there.

And look at that, I did what I said I woudln't do and am already finding more mods to make

I need to get a OBD dongle too, that speed in the video is GPS based so sometimes it bounces around a bit. With a OBD dongle I'll be able to get the actual car's speedo speed overlayed on the video along with RPM and throttle inputs too.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

lol! You nailed me! I couldn't let everyone hear my potty mouth lol! There was a miata out there that day that I swear drove 30mph around every corner, it was brutal.

Funny you mention the spherical RTABs, I was just researching those last night. I'm trying to find reports whether NVH is increased with them or if its not noticable. I was thinking Bimmerworld but synchro design works look super sexy and are sealed. I'm not sure how either compare to Turner's monoball RTAB either though, so I have more researching to do. I also think its time I get adjustable rear control arms so I can finally get the camber setting correct back there.
    the syncro design works' ones have a sleeker aluminum casing compared to the BW ones, but inside they appear to be using the same bearing - a sealed OEM bearing. either would be a good choice!

i run the BW ones (the syncro ones weren't available at that time), and i can happily report no increase in NVH. the feel of the rear end, especially under power, is so much different.

i would also recommend replacing both outer control arm bushings with OE M3 units - you'll get better wheel/hub articulation too.

re: the control arms - i elected to keep the factory ones, but i boxed them in for strength. the adjustable ones are nice, just expensive for me when i don't need more camber adjustment than the stock eccentric bolts provide (i replace the bolts - mine were corroded so badly!).

peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

the syncro design works' ones have a sleeker aluminum casing compared to the BW ones, but inside they appear to be using the same bearing - a sealed OEM bearing. either would be a good choice!

i run the BW ones (the syncro ones weren't available at that time), and i can happily report no increase in NVH. the feel of the rear end, especially under power, is so much different.
    That's great to hear that kind of feedback!

i would also recommend replacing both outer control arm bushings with OE M3 units - you'll get better wheel/hub articulation too.
    Already done, did that when I did some rear bushing maintenance a while ago. I just noticed poweflex have come out with the rear control arm inner upper and inner lower poly bushings, those might be a nice upgrade too.

re: the control arms - i elected to keep the factory ones, but i boxed them in for strength. the adjustable ones are nice, just expensive for me when i don't need more camber adjustment than the stock eccentric bolts provide (i replace the bolts - mine were corroded so badly!).
    Nice, my car for some reason can't be brought into spec with the stock bolts. One side is good at -2, the other can only get to -1.7. I wonder if when the subframe was reinforced and reinstalled if it was just ever so slightly aligned to one side of the car more than the other. Oh well.

I told myself after the track day event that the only upgrade I need to be thinking about is me and my skills. But I'm having a very hard time resisting the temptation to dip the toe into the water here... and then I hope I don't fall in and go full racecar
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

My sway bar bushings are factory originals and almost 15 years and almost 130k miles old. So today I installed PowerFlex front and rear sway bar bushings. Car is really responsive now. I'm not sure it will cut down on the body roll too drastically on track, but on the street the car feels really great.

Also, I installed a used Borla cat-back.

The sound is definitely different than the Magnaflow. I really do like the Borla, it sounds very German and almost makes me think of Porsche. Also, it is quieter, especially in the lower RPM's, so mission accomplished! I have some before audio from the Magnaflow captured on the GoPro so I'm going to capture the same video with the Borla and hopefully we will have a good comparison.

And, based on my butt dyno I don't think I've lost any power. Dyno is scheduled for Aug 12 so then we shall see.
    Last edited by rkneeshaw; 07-03-2017 at 04:15 PM.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP

Look forward to an audio comparison of the two exhausts.

All the Borla videos I've seen sound really nice, but +1 on wanting to hear a comparison. I'm leaning towards "TSE3 is too loud," which leaves the Magnaflow and Borla as the top contenders.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast