Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Anyone using spacers on stock wheels for a tad wider stance?

I just wanted to see if anyone was using spacers on their stock wheels and if so what size? I might go this route until I can pick up some new wheels next year.

Thanks
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

5mm up front to clear my coilovers. If you're running stock suspension you could go bigger than that like 10mm-12mm

I had 15mm's in rear....then I movd them tp front....then I took off...when I dropped.

The negative on spacers (some say) is tat it changes the center of gravity on the wheel, and can make your wheel bearings go bad,,,faster. No prob though....cuz I got a diy for that...lol.

I think if you go any < 10mm it is a waste....anywhere.....and also realize proper stance should be achieved through wheels, offset, and tiresize....

But....with all that said...I still endorse spacers....just throwin some info out there...
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Dane, I plan on doing your exact coilovers. (Provided they don't fall of your car in the next few weeks) Did you HAVE to use spacers to accommodate them?

If so, what size?
    -ADAM

Most guys that do coilovers will need at least a 5mm spacer to clear the adjustment collar when using the OEM ZHP wheels.

Let me find what I wrote about spacers.

Ok. Found it.

Simply put, spacers can create issues -- regardless of mm size. You'll want a good hubcentric (and possibly wheelcentric) spacer that fits well. A 15mm spacer would likely fit more flush on the hub (whereas a 10mm spacer might not fit just right).

A spacer, in general, will accentuate any balancing issues that you already have, which will result in wobble (you'll feel it in the steering wheel).

I recommend that you do your homework before you install any spacers.

Finally, if you pull the wheel out too far, you could experience rubbing. You'll need to roll your fenders.

I've done just about everything to my BMWs over the years. I've run spacers on some of my cars. Others I never put any spacers on. I've had to roll my fenders on several of my cars so that they can accommodate my wider track (tires plus spacers).

Quote Originally Posted by Alphatek45 View Post
    Dane, I plan on doing your exact coilovers. (Provided they don't fall of your car in the next few weeks) Did you HAVE to use spacers to accommodate them?

If so, what size?

Nope...no spacers required for me. My rims are 18 x 8 though. I doubt they will fail with lifetime guarentee....and plus...

"You know the Germans make good stuff"

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The only reason why those that are using the OEM ZHP wheels with coilovers need a small spacer is due to the wheel's high offset. Lower offset wheels (+40 ET or lower) won't have a problem clearing. My bet is that Dane's wheels are lower offset than the OEM ZHP wheels.

Yeah 5-10mm was all i was thinking about doing and that would be temporary until i got some new wheels. I like the wider stance and the tire being closer to the well.

Just curious to see if anyone was running and what size before rubbing was an issue with OEM set up.
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast