Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BMWs hard on brakes?

OK, so some of you may know I'm replacing the wife's daily driver/family car 2012 Altima with a nice clean 2007 X3 we found with low miles. So, I took the X3 in last week for the state safety and emissions inspections and the stealer's free "world class inspection" (that no doubt earns them lots of work).

One thing that showed up in the inspection that I'd neglected to even look at was brakes. The rear pads apparently measured 4-7mm and the fronts 4mm. Front and rear pad and rotor replacement was recommended at just under $1200.

I was a little surprised it would need rotors since it only has 43,000 miles on it. So, I checked it when I got back to the house and sure enough, there's a pretty healthy lip on the rotor. So, then I walked around and compared it to all my other vehicles...

- '07 X3, ~43k miles, rotor has a pretty healthy lip
    - '04 ZHP, ~43k miles, rotor has a pretty healthy lip
    - '07 Hummer H3, ~62k miles, swapping out original front pads next weekend, rotor has a very minor lip
    - '12 Nissan Altima, ~61k miles, brakes in good shape, rotor has almost no lip

I did the second set of pads and new rotors on my wife's old Maxima at about 80k miles. I realize it totally depends on how a car was driven and where, and I realize the BMW's probably have a sportier, more aggressive pad. But, assuming a mix of typical city and highway driving and that you're not tracking your car, what kind of service do most people get out of a set of rotors on their cars? Assuming roughly 40k miles per set of pads, can you get a rotor though two sets of pads on a normal street-driven car?

On the upside, it looks like ECS sells a nice kit with Meyle coated rotors and Akebono pads for about $425, so I'll likely do that when the time comes. Seems like a good Saturday afternoon project for late January when it's cold and snowy outside.

Just curious what others' experiences were with the OE rotors and pads.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    SC
    2004 ZHP Vert - Titanium Silver 6MT
    BMW CCA Rocky Mountain Chapter #504522
    ZHP Replacement: 2012 E93 M3 * Daily Driver: 2007 Hummer H3 Adventure * Wife-mobile: 2016 VW Touareg Exec

OEM BMW rotors and pads are on the soft side which provide great braking power, the down fall is they give off tons of dust and wear out a lot faster. Most of people on this forum usually buy brakes from me and have been happy with them. I provide great pricing free shipping and 1 year warranty.

Let me know if you want a quote or PM me at your convenience.

Thanks! Will do!

SC
    2004 ZHP Vert - Titanium Silver 6MT
    BMW CCA Rocky Mountain Chapter #504522
    ZHP Replacement: 2012 E93 M3 * Daily Driver: 2007 Hummer H3 Adventure * Wife-mobile: 2016 VW Touareg Exec

The amount of life you get out of your pads depends on so many different things...

Driving in a city will wear your brakes very quickly. If you tend to make harder stops instead of long and smooth brake applications, that'll also wear them faster. Track usage goes without saying.

The type of pad also makes a difference. EBC Redstuff is my preferred brand and type, because it dusts next to nothing and is a hard wearing pad, meaning a long bed in time and long service life. Since I drive mostly highway, they'll last even longer. Stock BMW pads are going to wear out the pads AND the OE rotors very quickly because they're designed to work together, hence why they stop very well but dust so much.

In your case, you have an X3, which is AWD. That means you're more likely to have to do all 4 brakes at the same time come brake service, where your ZHP is likely to only need rear brakes every 2 front brake services.

There's too much to even consider when determining brake life. Also remember that BMWs are not Nissans, therefore need more maintenance (especially for brakes) for the considerable performance increases you get. The Altima may not need brakes for 80k+ miles, but it also doesn't perform as well either.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

My e46 325 didn't need new rotors even after 1.5 sets of pads and 110k miles. My dad DDed it before I got it and I autox it. We're both super light on brakes, so driving style is probably 50% of it.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

My ZHP had brand new rotors on it when I got it. That was 21,000 miles ago and there's still no lip on the outside of the rotor and a VERY tiny one on the insides. I DD it and autox and track it. OEM rotor, ceramic pads.

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM

Daily driven e46 = ~ 100k miles.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Just for reference, I have 60-70k miles on my old slotted rotors, and they are still usable. That includes at least 6 track events on them. I keep them as backups.

sent from my Droid Turbo
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

My car has 107k miles and I don't think the rotors or pads were ever changed... At least that is what the previous owner told me... They are still very good...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    My car has 107k miles and I don't think the rotors or pads were ever changed... At least that is what the previous owner told me... They are still very good...
    I got well over 100k on F&R brakes.

With 247k on the clock, it has had three sets of front (last change was premature as I didn't need them, I wanted a BBK) and the rears were done within 25K.

I drive a lot of highway miles so I get a lot of life out of the pads and rotors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast