Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 Bumpers

E46 M3 Bumpers

I do not know if this subject has been broached before. So educate me on E46 M3 bumpers. For starters correct me if I'm wrong.

I noticed there are different types of M3 bumpers. Depending of production year? Some of them have the gap for fog lights and others have just the intake on the left side. There may be other style? Do either of the M3 bumpers a direct fit to our ZHPs or other E46s? I noted that the front blade/splitter for the ZHP seems to be larger than the M3? Again, I could be mistaken. Advanced aging eyes don't you know.

Have any of you guys done this replacement? Please provide a few pics. I also noticed that there are also aftermarket bumpers available. How's the quality of the after markets? Any specific brand? I would assume the gauge of the abs plastic would be thinner? Anything else to look for prior to bumper replacement?

Thanks.
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

The "intake" bumper is from the CSL M3.

I doubt an OEM M3 bumper will fit the ZHP because the M3 is wider (I think). You'd have to get a replica if you want one on the ZHP.

The OE M3 bumpers won't fit properly unless you do M3 fenders, for which you'd need an M3 hood and lights. If you really wanted them, you could get aftermarket M3 bumpers, but personally I think the M-Tech II looks better.

As mentioned already, the single hole for the intake is the M3 CSL bumper. The other one is the regular M3 one.

And yes, you are correct; the "splitter blades" or whatever they're called are more aggressive on the M-Tech II than a standard M3 bumper.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by yura View Post
    The "intake" bumper is from the CSL M3.

I doubt an OEM M3 bumper will fit the ZHP because the M3 is wider (I think). You'd have to get a replica if you want one on the ZHP.
    For the ZHP or any non-M you can order M3 rep bumpers like the one below that will fit...

or get the CSL rep bumpers for non-M like the one below...

either way... these bumpers won't require any modifications of the mounting points or movement of existing fenders to fit.

By the way i do sell m3 bumpers and ZHP bumpers :D

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    And yes, you are correct; the "splitter blades" or whatever they're called are more aggressive on the M-Tech II than a standard M3 bumper.
    After viewing and comparing bumpers with images provided by cakM3 (Thanks for providing the images), ZHP splitter blades are more aggressive. The way I look at this now is the aggressive splitters is what makes the ZHP different not special from the M3. No wonder I am seeing the regular E46 owners switching to replika ZHP bumpers. And they are not a perfect fit. ZHP bumpers are wider.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    After viewing and comparing bumpers with images provided by cakM3 (Thanks for providing the images), ZHP splitter blades are more aggressive. The way I look at this now is the aggressive splitters is what makes the ZHP different not special from the M3. No wonder I am seeing the regular E46 owners switching to replika ZHP bumpers. And they are not a perfect fit. ZHP bumpers are wider.
    M-Tech II bumpers, which is what ZHP's have, are not wider than standard E46 bumpers. The ones you've seen don't fit properly because they're probably a cheapo aftermarket brand, which doesn't fit as well as OE bumpers.

Are you looking to replace your bumper due to damage? I'd always say go OE whenever possible for the best quality (OE ones flex better than the aftermarkets so they don't get damaged quite as easily) and fitment. I know there are decent quality aftermarkets out there as well. Ray did mention he sells them; I'd ask him on the quality of those as he would know better.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Not trying to replace ZHP bumper. My bumpers are in great condition. But once in a while I would get this dimwitted idea of doing something different with the ZHP. That idea is now the bumpers. But now that I saw the different M3 bumpers, I conclude that ZHP bumpers are the better looking bumper. Just remove the trims all around and paint them with the same color of the bumper. And add on the M technic OE splitter. They look like Dracula fangs.

Like I said....dimwitted idea.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    Not trying to replace ZHP bumper. My bumpers are in great condition. But once in a while I would get this dimwitted idea of doing something different with the ZHP. That idea is now the bumpers. But now that I saw the different M3 bumpers, I conclude that ZHP bumpers are the better looking bumper. Just remove the trims all around and paint them with the same color of the bumper. And add on the M technic OE splitter. They look like Dracula fangs.

Like I said....dimwitted idea.
    If you need help with your... ughh... "ideas situation," we can make a pact where every time you get one of these ideas, you have to PayPal me a $100. I suspect that after only a few treatments, the ideas will stop.

Deal?

What's your Pp?
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast