Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2003 ZHP Engine dead! What should I do now?

Hello all--thought I would ask the experts before i proceed.

The oil pump failed on my 2003 ZHP (175K miles) leading to at least one spun bearing and plenty of brass shavings in the oil pan. Now I'm dead in the water without a new engine ($3K) and labor to install it ($2K).

I've become pretty attached to my ZHP over the years, but I want to examine all the options in detail before I make a decision.

Should I go ahead with the engine swap for $5K, leaving me with a new(er) engine but a pretty old car? If I choose to sell the car without an engine, how much do ZHPs without engines generally go for?

I would really appreciate any input you can give me!

My deepest sympathies. I would be heartbroken at the loss of the car and frustrated at the potential monetary outlay that was ahead of me.

What kind of condition is the car in otherwise? I think you have to take that into consideration. Is the body and interior in good condition? How about the non engine related components? Do you have a ton of work to do on the car still? What I am getting at is if the engine replacements PLUS all the other work you still have to do is close to the money you would spend on a newer car/younger ZHP then I would say it would be hard to justify throwing in a 5k engine project.

As an aside, do you know how this happened? Did the oil pump nut back off? I have read of that happening when the engine sustained high RPM runs. Sound familiar at all?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Thanks for the sympathy! The car is in near-perfect condition...the body and interior are excellent which is the only reason I'm even considering paying the money to replace the engine (that and my irrational attachment to the car). To be honest, there's really no way I'd be able to get a new car for $5K. I just fear putting in a used engine could open it up to a new set of risks which will burn me in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    As an aside, do you know how this happened? Did the oil pump nut back off? I have read of that happening when the engine sustained high RPM runs. Sound familiar at all?
    I'm not sure about the root cause yet; I'm still getting over that initial shock. I didn't generally rev her above 5K RPM though, even when I was driving "hard."

Well, if you can get an engine with all the sensors and stuff attached, you would still have plenty of good parts that in the long run would save you money. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

If the car is in that good of shape and you're that attached to it (aren't we all!). I'd search for a new/used engine.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

S54 Swap!

But seriously, plus one to ElCID, can't hurt to price things out some more and see what you can find.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cakM3 View Post
    At this point I'm in agreement with Daniel..... do an S54 swap
    Ha! I considered it, but I don't think I can afford the oil.

Find a low mileage engine and have it put it in. Maintain it and drive the car for another 100+k.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by KobayashiMaru View Post
    Ha! I considered it, but I don't think I can afford the oil.
    Liqui-Moly 10W-60. Dirt-cheap (well compared to TWS anyways) from Amazon. Absolutely a valid replacement for TWS. I even wrote to Mike Miller, BMW guru who write the tech column for Roundel, and he approves.

http://amzn.com/B00CPL918E

So get on that S54 swap!

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast