Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2006 ZHP 91K Cooling system Overhaul

Hi Guys

well, i bought the car a few weeks ago and do not have the previous 2 owners maintenance records
    so for my piece of mind i am going to start with the basic maintenance issues and would like your
    guys feedback on that.
    this is what i am thinking

1- Coolant system kit, and would the Overdrive pulleys be a good idea
    dane mentioned to get the tensioner and the over drive pulleys, but what else should i get with that?

2- transmission fluids done with filter, which oil and which filter

3- Differential fluids and which one, again Dane suggested redline for both

what else should be a priority in getting done before i start with doing any mods for the car

Thanks, your input will be greatly appreciated

Cooling system should include waterpump, thermostat,upper and lower hoses, expansion tank and sensors. Plus idler and tensioner pulley and belts. I would stick to stock diameter pulleys and upgrade to metal ones if you can.

Something like this http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW-Co...oolrefrkit.htm

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I personally am of the "fix/replace everything first and then modify if time/money permits" school of thought. That way I know everything mechanical is good to go first before I start fiddling with it, so I would wait on the underdrive pulleys personally. With that said:

1. Cooling system overhaul is a good idea. I got my kit from Turner Motorsport which included a new radiator (link). I wanted a new radiator because I have watched my father's radiator fail like clockwork every six years. BMW decided to have plastic inlets instead of metal ones, and that's where his cooling system always failed. You can check what I did in my project thread here.
    2. Changing out the differential and transmission fluids is an easy and cheap bit of maintenance that keeps your car going. I used Redline MTL for the transmission. Redline 75W90 for the differential.
    3. Other things I would definitely consider changing out would be pulleys as Vas mentioned (idler, tensioner, and maybe AC), belts, spark plugs (NGK), motor oil (BMW 5W-30 or some other approved oil like Mobil 0W-40), oil filter (Mann), fuel filter, intake filter, cabin filter, power steering fluid (Redline ATFD4), brake fluid flush (hold off on if you plan to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines or clutch line because you'll have to flush that system then). A lot of these items can be had in Turner Motorsport's maintenance kit, which I used for my car shortly after I purchased it (link).

Thanks,
    that sounds like a good plan. i will start step by step
    probably do the cooling system kit with the pulleys since they are all in one place
    and go from there, thanks

Good advice above. You may save a few bucks by "building" your own kit, but TMS and others give you everything in one package. I've never don the radiator and pray it holds...
    I stuck with stock pulleys.
    Do you have an AT or MT (makes a difference on what fan you have and what tools are needed.)

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Do not use Royal Purple oil. ECSTUNING has a nice Billet water pump pulley to replace that cheap plastic one. Also look into the German Auto Solutions Exp tank cap.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

I think I have one extra metal pulley. I need to see which one it is (if you are interested).

Concur with all advice above. I'd recommend going with the kits, I've gone the route of putting together my own kits to save a few pennies and while I felt I was getting a deal, I do think it'd be a lot easier to just get a box and have everything in one place. I'd stick with OEM pulleys, I have the ECS one mentioned and it looks great and I don't have to worry about it cracking. Plus people think it's an underdrive pulley, which means it's just as good as actually having them, I've driven several members cars with the underdrive pulleys and could NOT tell a difference. The only things that makes a difference in these cars are the bigger ticket changes, like the 3.46 open and/or lsd swap.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

I had under drive pulleys on my Chevy truck years ago. Yes you could slightly tell a difference but I had issues with the charging and cooling system after that. Of course I live in the desert so we have to deal with 115 degree days. Never ran them on my ZHP or M3. I don't feel the slight gain is worth the affects it has on the charging, cooling and steering system. Plus they are approx $200 for a set.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Autozone.com
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    Plus they are approx $200 for a set.
    Which can be better spent elsewhere...new FCABs or something.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast