Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Rear lower control arm DIY Help (finished!)

So the other day I messed up my rear lower control arm pretty bad; now I've gotten it halfway out and am absolutely stuck.

Unfortunately, the control arm is bent in such a way that when I lifted the car (and temporarily lowered it agian) it bent itself even more.

The problem is getting the inner bolt out. The differential is completely in the way, and I am stumpted on how to proceed. I've loosened the front two differential bolts, and also removed the rear differential bolt. I tried prying the differential over to the passenger side of the car while simultaneously lifting it using a floor jack.

I almost got it out, but it's still stubbornly stuck in there.

The next step will be to loosen the subframe a bit while also prying it.

The car is currently in the garage on jack stands.
    Last edited by Fried_Chicken; 11-07-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Turner Motorsports has the following directions for removal of the stock arms

Directions:
    1. Properly lift and support the car to access the rear lower control arms
    2. Remove rear sway bar
    -remove top swaybar nut on upper control arm
    -remove swaybar brackets
    -remove entire swaybar
    3. Partially Remove Differential
    -Support differential
    -Remove the front and the rear differential bolts
    -Optional: If you cannot remove bolts with differential in place, it is possible to remove differential or just the drive shaft to
    have the required space.
    4. Remove outer camber arm bolts and let stock camber arms hang down
    5. Remove inner camber arm bolts
    -Slide Differential back to give room
    -Remove both bolts and remove control arms

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Just finished up.

I only did the driver's side rear control arm; I would suggest the following to anyone looking to do this.
    You do not have to remove the sway bar. Make sure before removing the old control arm that you mark the position of the eccentric washer/bolt.

First remove the outer control arm (camber) bolts, and loosen the inner bolt in so that it can be moved freely. The weird nut thing will fall down. Then use a jack to lift the differential partially (use a piece of wood between the jack and the diff to prevent scoring the diff). Remove the rear differential bolt (19mm), Loosen the front two differential bolts using a 3/4" or 18mm (17?) wrench, and finally loosen the subframe bolts. Loosening the subframe bolts will allow the diff to be raised higher.

Lift the differential to almost as high as it will go using the jack. Finally use a pry bar (between the rear differental bushing and it's attachment point to the frame) to nudge the differential towards the passenger side of the car while simultaneously pulling the inner control arm bolt out. It will take a good nudge from the pry bar and a good pull on the bolt, but it should then break free.

To install you will have to again use the pry bar to get the appropriate space to push the bolt back in, although you can use a tool to tap the bolt in. Once that's in, retighten the subframe bolts, front differential bolts, and re-install the rear differential bolt.

Installing the new control arm can be a PITA. Once the inner bolt is in, get it about finger tight on its special nut thing with its genital hanging down. Now you're going to want to figure out a way to get the outer bolt in. This part is a pain in the ass, I suggest wear gloves as the brake cover will cut into your hands as you try to get it into position so the bolt will go in.

Once it's all in, ideally tighten the inner and outer control arm bolts with the vehicle on the ground. If this isn't possible use a lift underneath the suspension (where the lower control arm attaches) to lift the suspension unit up. Tighten the inner bolt anus tight. Re-align the eccentric bolt and washer to their previous position and tighten the outer control arm anus tight.

Re-attach your wheel, lower the car, take it for a test drive and alignment.