Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cat efficiency on both banks

Hey guys! First post of many to come. I own a 2004 imola sedan. With ~130k on the clock.

I'm having some issues tracking down the cause of the p0420 and p0430 codes. I've replaced the 02 sensors and put on lower mile cats.

I've searched around for quite some time trying to find out why, but about 99% of posts are for only one bank having codes. Never both at the same time. I was curious if anyone has any input or maybe knows why this would happen. It's very strange.

My car does consume a decent amount of oil, I am not sure if that could relate.

Thanks

You replaced both the pre-cat and post cat sensors? Also is your maf sensor sill original?

How much is a decent amount of oil? CCV system been replaced and typical leaks like the OFHG?

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Yes all sensors. To my knowledge the maf is still original. I've only owned the car for a few months.

The oil light comes on every 1500-2000 miles id say I just topped it off yesterday, I'll keep track of the miles

Haven't noticed much in the way of ccv leaks, my idle isn't effected so didn't think of that may being a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardie View Post
    Yes all sensors. To my knowledge the maf is still original. I've only owned the car for a few months.

The oil light comes on every 1500-2000 miles id say I just topped it off yesterday, I'll keep track of the miles

Haven't noticed much in the way of ccv leaks, my idle isn't effected so didn't think of that may being a problem.
    There is a possibility that the maf sensor could be the issue.

As far as oil use, that is a nice good bit. How much oil did you add in that amount?

I was just suggesting to make sure you do not have an oil leak somewhere so you could rule that out. Stuff like the oil pan gasket or the oil filter housing gasket.

Any maintenance history on the car from the previous owner?

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Maybe I'll try giving it a good clean and see if that helps at all before I go buy a new one.

I'd say maybe a quart or less. I've never seen oil on there ground but I've seen a small spot hanging off the oil pan, the gasket is new. I know the valve cover has some leak marks on it. Nothing to constitute a quart though.

There a good about of dealer paper work from the last few owners. I'll rummage through them later today.

Welcome. I have zero oil consumption and 0420/30 codes. Just more data.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Welcome. I have zero oil consumption and 0420/30 codes. Just more data.

Perfect, thanks. If these codes aren't a big deal I'll just focus my money on something else. I just didn't want the engine to get damaged by plugged cats or something else.

If cats were plugged, I think you'd have a noticeable difference in performance.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

That's what I figure but I wanted to be safe. You think a bad fuel pump could cause this? I'm just trying to figure all possible options. I just replaced spark plugs.

I can't see it being any sort of vacuum because the idle is fine.

What other indications do you have of a bad fuel pump?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast