Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Rear license plate light holder corrosion

Folks,

I happened to notice this evening that my passenger side license plate light was out so I popped open the cover and swapped the lights (hoping it was just a bad light) but it seems that the holder is corroded so bad that the light is unable to make proper contact (green stuff all over it). I also checked with a volt-meter and seemed to be getting around 3V-4V. I tried scraping with a flat-head screw driver, hoping to clear out the gunk, but no such luck.

Has anybody else faced this issue? I searched around on google and it seems that people either had to replace the whole assembly (which needs painting etc) or some had luck using a nail file and sand paper etc and cleaned out the contacts. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

i dealt with this on mine. it was really only bad on one side - i ended up removing the entire light/trunk release assembly, and rewiring the entire thing. plus, my passenger side bulb contact points where so bad that i ended up making new ones. i don't have any pics but i'll see if i can grab some.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i dealt with this on mine. it was really only bad on one side - i ended up removing the entire light/trunk release assembly, and rewiring the entire thing. plus, my passenger side bulb contact points where so bad that i ended up making new ones. i don't have any pics but i'll see if i can grab some.
    Thanks Peter. Any pics/guide that you may have would be very helpful.

In addition to this last evening I discovered that my front driver's side rotor is heating up a lot more than any of the other three rotors...which means I may have a slightly sticky caliper. The car tracks straight and I don't hear any noise. Argh...perfect timing for these issues to crop up
    anandoc

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

I jerry rigged the wiring on my corroded one. Still trying to source a used replacement.
    I think there are pics in my project thread.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Quote Originally Posted by anandoc View Post
    Thanks Peter. Any pics/guide that you may have would be very helpful.

In addition to this last evening I discovered that my front driver's side rotor is heating up a lot more than any of the other three rotors...which means I may have a slightly sticky caliper. The car tracks straight and I don't hear any noise. Argh...perfect timing for these issues to crop up
    yes, actually, and shawn's post below helped me to remember where i put the 'notes': http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...405#post377405

check your caliper guide pins first - they may just need cleaning and re-lubing. always a good thing to do at least once or twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I jerry rigged the wiring on my corroded one. Still trying to source a used replacement.
    I think there are pics in my project thread.
    there are, indeed! lots! thanks shawn, i put my notes in your thread as well.

peter
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    yes, actually, and shawn's post below helped me to remember where i put the 'notes': http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...405#post377405

check your caliper guide pins first - they may just need cleaning and re-lubing. always a good thing to do at least once or twice a year.

there are, indeed! lots! thanks shawn, i put my notes in your thread as well.

peter
    Thanks for the reminder!

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Thanks Shawn and Peter! You guys rock!!
    anandoc

Make sure to replace the trim piece gasket as that's where the water leaks from. I had similar issues where my license plate lights were wet and found the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Make sure to replace the trim piece gasket as that's where the water leaks from. I had similar issues where my license plate lights were wet and found the source.

The gasket?

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    The gasket?
    Yea that big ole plastic gasket.