Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions on Spare Wheels with Winter Tires

After buying my new ZHP on Monday, the seller offered to sell me his snow tires and wheels for $250 when I went back to his house to pick up my other car. I bought them since I was already trying to figure out what I would do for winter tires.

Name:  PB110001.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  238.5 KB

Name:  PB110004.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  283.1 KB

Name:  PB110005.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  246.0 KB

Name:  PB110006.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  222.8 KB

Name:  PB110010.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  280.5 KB

Name:  PB110011.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  246.5 KB

- Appear to be BMW Style 68 (?) in ugly cosmetic condition, e.g. clear coat peeling
    - All same size 17x7.5 with 225/45R17's
    - 2 namebrand Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 with 10k miles of use
    - 2 offbrand Hercules Avalanche X-Treme with 3k miles of use
    - Previous owner claims interchangeable between front and back

Questions before I mount in a few weeks:
    - Do you agree with my plan to mount the Blizzaks in the front and Hercules in the rear? I think it'd be better to have peace-of-mind that the Bridgestones will have the duties of steering and braking even though they have a little more wear. The tread pattern on the Hercules tires aren't as "dense" as the Blizzaks.
    - Are there any details to consider before mounting? Staggering, etc.?
    - Are those wheels worth anything? For next year, should I have them stripped and refurbished?

The blizzak's should be directional and will be side dependent. I have a set of them currently for sale and from my experience with them, I would run them in the rear.

What's your location and what are your winter driving needs? Are you going to be dealing with heavy snow or more ice and or slush? The e46 with the D.SC. does great in snow and with good snows it you should have little or no problem.

May want to read up on how the D.SC. works before the first snow. You may need to change the mode in heavy snow situations and turn off the rev limiter.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

The tires with the deepest threads should go in the back, unless you want to be stuck.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

This is going to be pretty dependent on where you're driving and in what conditions. If you're going to encounter a lot of snow, you'll first want to measure the tread depth and make sure you're at 5/32nds of an inch, at least. It looks like you probably are, but worth checking.

I'd also recommend, at a minimum, having two of the same tire on each axel. So if you can directionally do two Blizzaks in the back, you'll want to go that route. (Better/newer tires go on the back.) If you have to mix them on each axel, I'd consider replacing some/all. That said, it is highly recommended to have matching front/rears when it comes to winter tires.

Two articles worth checking out:
    - Dangers of Mixing Tread Depth
    - Mismatching

Basically the problem you're going to have is that the Blizzaks are a great tire, and the off-brands are, well, not. This creates the potential to have significant traction differences at each end of your car, putting you at a big disadvantage. So again, as a minimum, put the Blizzaks in the back.

As far as the clear coat issues go, I'd probably throw some plastidip on there and call it a day. Should help protect it from further corrosion, etc.

Hope this helps - congrats on the new car!

- Wheels are BMW Style 68
    - All same size 17x7.5 with 225/45R17's - Correct. Pretty common size to run for winter wheels/tires
    - Previous owner claims interchangeable between front and back - Technically Yes

- Do you agree with my plan to mount the Blizzaks in the front and Hercules in the rear? I think it'd be better to have peace-of-mind that the Bridgestones will have the duties of steering and braking even though they have a little more wear. The tread pattern on the Hercules tires aren't as "dense" as the Blizzaks. - This depends on snow conditions but I would mount the Blizzaks on the rear.
    - Are there any details to consider before mounting? Staggering, etc.? - You can have the wheels balanced before installing them on the car.
    - Are those wheels worth anything? For next year, should I have them stripped and refurbished? - The wheels came on the e46 with the sport package. Not really anything special and the width of them makes it perfect for winter wheels. I would just leave them or sand them down and clear-coat them if it bothers you.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    This is going to be pretty dependent on where you're driving and in what conditions. If you're going to encounter a lot of snow, you'll first want to measure the tread depth and make sure you're at 5/32nds of an inch, at least. It looks like you probably are, but worth checking.

I'd also recommend, at a minimum, having two of the same tire on each axel. So if you can directionally do two Blizzaks in the back, you'll want to go that route. (Better/newer tires go on the back.) If you have to mix them on each axel, I'd consider replacing some/all. That said, it is highly recommended to have matching front/rears when it comes to winter tires.

Two articles worth checking out:
    - Dangers of Mixing Tread Depth
    - Mismatching

Basically the problem you're going to have is that the Blizzaks are a great tire, and the off-brands are, well, not. This creates the potential to have significant traction differences at each end of your car, putting you at a big disadvantage. So again, as a minimum, put the Blizzaks in the back.

As far as the clear coat issues go, I'd probably throw some plastidip on there and call it a day. Should help protect it from further corrosion, etc.

Hope this helps - congrats on the new car!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    - Wheels are BMW Style 68
    - All same size 17x7.5 with 225/45R17's - Correct. Pretty common size to run for winter wheels/tires
    - Previous owner claims interchangeable between front and back - Technically Yes

- Do you agree with my plan to mount the Blizzaks in the front and Hercules in the rear? I think it'd be better to have peace-of-mind that the Bridgestones will have the duties of steering and braking even though they have a little more wear. The tread pattern on the Hercules tires aren't as "dense" as the Blizzaks. - This depends on snow conditions but I would mount the Blizzaks on the rear.
    - Are there any details to consider before mounting? Staggering, etc.? - You can have the wheels balanced before installing them on the car.
    - Are those wheels worth anything? For next year, should I have them stripped and refurbished? - The wheels came on the e46 with the sport package. Not really anything special and the width of them makes it perfect for winter wheels. I would just leave them or sand them down and clear-coat them if it bothers you.
    +1

Excellent answers here. Pretty much agree with all of it. Leave the wheels if you are going to use them as winters, I like not "worrying" about my winters. Change of pace.

Also, I'd buy a pair of the Blizzaks and then run them in the rear with the older ones in the front just for peace of mind. Not worth taking chances if you are going to be encountering a good bit of snow, but that really depends on location. Here in the mid-atlantic I'd run what people are recommending especially since they are calling for a mild winter this year...Upstate NY, Canada, or MI...buy a new pair and run a same-brand set.

Also, in regards to traction control, I've found the best results from pressing the button off once. This turns off the power limitations but leaves on the stability control. Helps with getting up hills, etc, but to be honest it doesn't matter. I can turn it all the way off and as long as you don't drive like an idiot the tires pretty much do all the work. Good snows are a night and day difference compared to no-seasons.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    Also, I'd buy a pair of the Blizzaks and then run them in the rear with the older ones in the front just for peace of mind. Not worth taking chances if you are going to be encountering a good bit of snow, but that really depends on location. Here in the mid-atlantic I'd run what people are recommending especially since they are calling for a mild winter this year...Upstate NY, Canada, or MI...buy a new pair and run a same-brand set.

Also, in regards to traction control, I've found the best results from pressing the button off once. This turns off the power limitations but leaves on the stability control. Helps with getting up hills, etc, but to be honest it doesn't matter. I can turn it all the way off and as long as you don't drive like an idiot the tires pretty much do all the work. Good snows are a night and day difference compared to no-seasons.
    Agreed, on both points. (Contingent on the tread depth of the current blizzys, of course )

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    Agreed, on both points. (Contingent on the tread depth of the current blizzys, of course )
    Of course.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    Of course.
    Name:  58321680.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  89.0 KB

Always want the grippier tires in the rear, regardless of conditions. You want to avoid having more grip up front, because snap oversteer isn't fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast