Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZHP flip?

ZHP flip?

Sorry if this is long. It's worth of a story.

OK, so I was talking to a guy in my office last week, and cars come up, then BMW, I show him a photo of my car, and he tells me he and his wife have an old BMW, too and theirs is very similar. "Oh, really?," I say assuming he just means it's also an E46.

He continues, "Yeah it's a 2000, two-door, and the wheels look exactly like yours." It's clear he's not really a BMW guy or even a car guy, so I figure it has some aftermarket wheels on it that just look like our style 135s. He tells me it was his wife's car, that they don't drive it anymore and that they just want to get rid of it. He asks if I'd be interested in buying it, tells me they're only asking $2000, but that he'd go $1800 if I wanted it. I asked about condition and mileage, he tells me it has 160,000 miles on it, and that he'll bring pictures next week.

Fast forward to half an hour ago. He walks into my office and says he has pics and whips his phone out. No. Friggin. Way. It's a ZHP coupe. Black with natural brown. Two-tone black and NB door panels. Style 135s. Automatic. Apparently, it's been sitting idle in a garage for three years since they had kids and the wife got a more kid-friendly car. He said it got driven about a year ago when it went across town from one garage to another for a move and was fine. From his photos, it may be a little rough around the edges, think "urban". It's a little hard to tell because it's dirty and dusty like a barn find. Front bumper looks rough. Aftermarket carbon fiber hood. Not sure about the interior. He said he thinks all it needs is a battery to be drivable.

So, immediately my gears started turning. I could buy this, spend a few weeks wrenching on it, play with paint correction, swap out a few parts and get some experience wrenching on an E46 without working on my own car, then turn it over to some local enthusiast for a reasonable profit. Assuming there's nothing major wrong with the car, what's a 160k-mile 2000 ZHP coupe worth? I'm thinking it'd be worth a weekend or two of work if I could net a grand or two and some experience.

Too risky for a flip, or is the price low enough almost not to matter? I could almost certainly get my money back out of it unless the motor or tranny died, right? The only other thing that came to mind was that I know with the earlier cars, the subframe was a concern.

All opinions welcome.

I'll post a couple of pics once I get them.

I waited patiently to buy a ZHP for almost five years, hardly ever saw them, finally bought one, and then another just drops into my lap. Life sure can be strange.

Cheers,
    SC

The zhp package wasn't available until 2003. I would still jump on it if no other reason than to have it be a dd and as you upgrade your zhp with parts and the other car can get the hand me down parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    The zhp package wasn't available until 2003. I would still jump on it if no other reason than to have it be a dd and as you upgrade your zhp with parts and the other car can get the hand me down parts.
    +1

There were no ZHP coupes 'till 2004, so either it's not a ZHP or he got the model year wrong. Either way, it sounds like a flip opportunity to me!
    At a minimum it's going to need all fluids changed, and possibly tires as well (probably flat spotted by now).
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I'm probably more interested in using it as a project and as fun entertainment to see how fast I can clean up and flip a car (as in less than a month) than I am daily-driving it. But, that could be a fun option - at least for awhile. Garage space is limited, too but I do have a neighbor that may let me rent his short term so as not to have a car in various states of condition sitting out on the street.

OK, yeah - I thought the year sounded weird, but I looked at the list here and there were a couple of cars on there, but I suppose they're just not ZHPs or even 330's. I'll have him send me the VIN and decode to see what to make of it.

I'd hate to have to buy new tires as that would really screw the budget, but I suppose I can probably find something much cheaper than I'd put on my own car. Maybe some nice used tires or all-seasons or something.

OK, so it's probably a 325 that somebody put style 135's and an M-Tech bumper on. But, the interior, too... Maybe he's wrong about the year. I'll get the VIN.

What would be funny is if the style 135's were in better shape than mine and I could swap.

SC

It could still be a 330i. You can flip it for a profit for sure if you take care of the minor stuff and give it a good detail.

Quote Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
    I'm probably more interested in using it as a project and as fun entertainment to see how fast I can clean up and flip a car (as in less than a month) than I am daily-driving it. But, that could be a fun option - at least for awhile. Garage space is limited, too but I do have a neighbor that may let me rent his short term so as not to have a car in various states of condition sitting out on the street.

OK, yeah - I thought the year sounded weird, but I looked at the list here and there were a couple of cars on there, but I suppose they're just not ZHPs or even 330's. I'll have him send me the VIN and decode to see what to make of it.

I'd hate to have to buy new tires as that would really screw the budget, but I suppose I can probably find something much cheaper than I'd put on my own car. Maybe some nice used tires or all-seasons or something.

OK, so it's probably a 325 that somebody put style 135's and an M-Tech bumper on. But, the interior, too... Maybe he's wrong about the year. I'll get the VIN.

What would be funny is if the style 135's were in better shape than mine and I could swap.

SC
    It could still be a 330i. You can flip it for a profit for sure if you take care of the minor stuff and give it a good detail.

The VIN is needed. If it's a 2000, then it's either a 323Ci or a 328Ci, which will reduce the amount of money you get for the car. The 325/330 came out in 2001+ are are generally more valuable.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

I wanted to flip a car some time ago. But the tax ($500) stopped me. Granted, it was not a very good deal as you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    The VIN is needed. If it's a 2000, then it's either a 323Ci or a 328Ci, which will reduce the amount of money you get for the car. The 325/330 came out in 2001+ are are generally more valuable.
    Yep. I noticed that in my research. I'm hoping he's wrong about the year and that it's an '01 - a 330 ideally. If it's a 323, I'll probably pass. If it's a 328, I'll consider it carefully. I'm not too worried about anything but subframe, so I'll read up on that once I found out what the car actually is so if I decided to go look at it, I'll know what I'm doing.

He just sent me pics. Let me post. It's interesting.

SC

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast