Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would just add on an additional cigarette lighter behind the dash by tapping into the existing cigarette lighter wiring then use one of these:

White Universal 12 Volt USB Car Charger for Apple iPod or USB Charging Device

This one looks better, plus, it apparently does not draw power when device is charged.

from here

That's if you o that way.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Apparantly you missed the part where I said it would all be behind the dash.

Sure did!
    Was just trying to help OP while looking around the net for an alternative 5V source in the headunit area when I came across that one.
    I kinda like the low profile, apparently, you can close the ashtray door over it.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I'd like to do the Eurotray and inside of it install a USB charger along with an aux-in.

^Just ordered one. Thanks!
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

I appreciate the suggestions, guys, but I'm already using a Belkin Micro USB Car Charger that is small enough to close the ashtray cover on when not in use:

But I'd still like to use a switched power source rather than the cigarette lighter socket. The only battery trouble I've had has been when I've left that plugged in (even without anything plugged into it); I'd like to be able to leave my iPod plugged in & know it's only drawing power when the car's on.

Also, I had considered a hidden second lighter socket tapped off the first to use one of these adapters, but I came across an article (perhaps it was the Wikipedia page) cautioning that the cigarette lighter electrical standards were never designed for powering of devices & that doing so (as has become ubiquitous) can be unreliable. Hence my search for a hard-wired solution. (Plus it's a lot of fun DIYing simple electronics!)

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Maybe this is too OT and deserves it's own thread, but now you've got me thinking about a USB playable source for our stock HK unit. Dice adds IPOD capability, and the Belkin port adds USB charging... how about a USB port that allows you to play music off of a USB memory stick (without changing the head unit)? The idea being that I'd feel much better leaving a USB stick in my VERT than an IPOD. John
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I think the Dension lets you do all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    I think the Dension lets you do all of that.
    Thanks. I wasn't familiar with their products. I checked it out, it actually provides more capability than I need as I already have IPOD capability with my DICE, so I'd rather not spend the type of money they are asking... was hoping for something less expensive, unless I'm just not looking at the right product. Cool stuff though, would have definitely considered that instead of my DICE had I known, because I like the USB feature.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12