Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blizzak WS-80 for me. Nothing beats the traction on RWD German sports cars.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Car: 1998 BMW 540i
    Tires: Bridgestone Blizzak WS-15
    Size: 215/55R16

Car: 2000 Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L
    Tires: Firestone Winterforce (studded)
    Size: 195/65R15

Car: 2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
    Tires: Firestone Winterforce (studded)
    Size: 205/55R16

Typical conditions: Maybe one to two days a year that has between a dusting and 1-2" of snow. Every three or four years there's a significant snow storm that accumulates between a couple of inches and a few feet of snow. Temperatures tend to hoover around freezing during the day and below freezing at night, making for slick conditions during the day.

Personal Driving Habits: In the BMW and the Volkswagen I tend to approach snow driving cautiously (both for safety and the cars aren't mine). Slow, deliberate motions with no sudden changes in speed. In the Volvo (and my old Audi), I am much more adventurous. I turn off as much of the stability and traction controls as I can and slide when it is safe (no cars around, lots of space). Plus, in Portland, the town tends to shut down and people stay inside until the snow blows over. So if you're out there, there's very few cars on the road and empty back roads can become your mini rally course if you use smart judgement.

Impressions (Note: I have not done much winter driving on these tires as snow is very intermittent and I am usually out of town when there is snow, and all of the tires are pretty old age-wise at this point, if not particularly worn): The Firestone Winterforce studded tires are great around town when there's snow and ice on the ground. There is a fair amount of tire noise on snowless roads thanks to the studs, but in the snow they're relatively quiet. They handle the snow and ice very well. We take the Volvo to the mountain for skiing and it has no trouble handling anything we encounter. Grip is definitely reduced in the dry compared to the regular A/S or Summer tires but that's not really the point of a dedicated winter tire. Damage to roads caused by the studs aside, I have had zero problems with the Firestone tires in either the Volkswagen or the Volvo. The Blizzak WS-15s are old but get the job done. My father isn't too impressed by them, but I find them to be perfectly suitable if you're careful and deliberate. If you've seen this famous video of drivers in Portland from a few years ago, those are very steep streets. The 540i can climb them and hill start on them with little drama in the snow (that intersection is about five minutes from my house). I'm guessing that the Blizzak WS-80s are an improvement over the WS-15s, so I might try those.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I run Blizzaks in the winter too. Have not put them on yet.

C&D just had a feature on winter tires: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ce-data-page-3
    Interesting article, something to consider when I hopefully get a set of winter shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    Habits: I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY. Graduated from HS in 1977 (the year of the great buzzard) driving a snow plow during it.
    I was living in Oneonta at that time. Well, just outside. Still in grade school and remember all the snow. Don't remember any buzzards, though. :-)

I would feel safer in my ZHP with the WS70 Blizzak's than I do in the 4 wheel drive Tacoma.
    I hear that.

I love talking cars with the, shall I say, uninitiated, and it amazes me how many are clueless to the utility of proper tires for the season.

But, overall, great narratives!

Blizzaks are well represented here.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Dedicated winter tires are definitely worth it on any vehicle imo.
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Vert ZHP, Steptronic - new to me as of mid Oct, 2015
    Blizzak LM-32 XL 225/45-17

This is actually the first time I've put dedicated winter tires on one of my BMWs. I've usually used another car/awd vehicle when there's snow on the ground. But the transfer case on my E53 is shot, and with that parked I need this car to be able to move in winter. And the ZHP had summer tires. We have a 2011 Outback too, but we try to balance commute miles between vehicles (120/day round trip!). My ZHP has Pilot Sport run-flats - I'd just had them balanced, along with control arms, bushings, and alignment and I got a pressure alert on my way to work. I checked the pressure and reset the system, but figured it was time to address my winter needs.

This was also the first time I've used TireRack, and I must say it was not such a great experience. I ordered LM-25's (RF's) and a set of rims for them to be mounted on. A few minutes after placing the order, a guy from TR called me to tell me he couldn't fulfill my order as placed. He insisted my car didn't have run flats - I assured him it did, and that it has no spare. Then he insisted he must either sell me TPMS sensors for ~$400 or change the order to non RF's. Copped an attitude with me that left a really bad impression.

So at the end of all this, he changed my order to the 32's, and added a mobility kit. And of course I verified afterwards that despite his insistence otherwise, he certainly could've sold me the tires as I ordered without TPMS sensors. And at a subsequent visit to my local dealer's service dept, they verified that my run-flats are correct for my ZHP, and that it uses the ABS sensor, not TPMS. Oh, and they really liked my ride - they don't see many of them and this one was particularly nice, clean, & solid.

Anyway, the tires are fine so far but haven't seen anything but rain. It's certainly a softer ride over all, and much quieter than the summer tires so far. Hopefully they'll get me thru a couple of seasons - my commute racks up miles fast!

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    I previously used General Altimax Arctics and had no complaints except, for maybe glare ice. They're not the most expensive winter tire, but I was very pleasantly surprised with them. Great in deeper snow (I've easily made my way through at least 3 inches of fresh powder... splitters = snow plows). A little more slippage than I'd like driving on solid ice (which I have, on the toll road, in the presence of large trucks), but the relatively harder compound provides very respectable handling and phenomenal wear.
    I have been running Altimax for a couple seasons now and really love their performance. I did encounter a serious pitfall, though. The aggressive grooves at the corners of the tread can be a negative. I now have a deep dent right behind a wheelwell, where the tire picked up a rock and threw it at the car. LOUD bang, believe me.

My PDR guy couldn't do much at all with it.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.30.42 PM.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  46.1 KB
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    I have been running Altimax for a couple seasons now and really love their performance. I did encounter a serious pitfall, though. The aggressive grooves at the corners of the tread can be a negative. I now have a deep dent right behind a wheelwell, where the tire picked up a rock and threw it at the car. LOUD bang, believe me.

My PDR guy couldn't do much at all with it.
    Bummer... sorry to hear that :/

Quote Originally Posted by Dual View Post
    The aggressive grooves at the corners of the tread can be a negative. I now have a deep dent right behind a wheelwell, where the tire picked up a rock and threw it at the car. LOUD bang, believe me. My PDR guy couldn't do much at all with it.
    Would mud flaps help?
    2006 330ci ZHP - Silbergrau Metallic / Stoff Laser/Anthrazit / Alu Black Cube trim / Adaptive Xenon headlights / HK hi-fi system / heated front seats

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Would mud flaps help?
    Hah... I just put them on my Outback a week ago for that very reason!

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Hmmm...
    2006 6MT Coupe, Alpine White • Premium, Cold Weather and Xenon packages
    MFactory 3.38 LSD • 27mm M3 bar • ECS strut brace • Koni FSD's

Other tweaks: see my profile

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast