Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Installing Headers on the ZHP

Hey all, I bought used Active Autowerke headers quite a while ago and I'm finally getting around to installing them. This will be the most challenging thing I've done to my car so far but I'll have some friends to help me out with the process. I have a couple quick questions about the install though.

For the install, is the only new item I need the header gasket http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-17...60-z3-z4.aspx? Or do I need new everything like this http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-58...4-engine.aspx?

Also, I assume aftermarket headers must be either ceramic coated or painted correct? I can't tell if these were previously coated and just worn or not coated at all. Here's one of the headers, by the looks of it would I have to paint/ceramic coat these? What is the best and/or cheapest way to go about doing this?

2004 Silver Grey ZHP Sedan 6 Speed Manual
    CDV Delete, AUX Input, Clear TMS Lights, Stealth Bulbs, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, Black Grille,
    aFe Stage 1 CAI Pro 5r, Dinan Front Strut Brace, CF Splitters, Active Autowerke Headers

The two links you posted are wrong and those are not the correct parts.

You need the exhaust manifold gaskets and hardware to install the headers. These are the factory ones but I am not sure if they work with aftermarket headers. https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-33...mance/ES26135/

Honestly I would reach out to Active Autowerke and see if they sell an install kit. And inquire about their headers and if they need to be coated or if they can just be wrapped using Heat Wrap.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

I would say just unbolt and if they fit correctly bolt back up. My thought is they should produce less heat than stock if they flow exhaust quicker. install should be the reverse of removal again coating or wrapping does keep the heat isolated from the bay and heat resistant paint will prevent rust and will look better in the long run. It all depends on your preferences in my opinion.

Those are SS headers. Don't heat wrap them as it will cause corrosion from moisture being trapped behind the wrap. You can get them ceramic coated. Swain Tech is one company that comes highly recommended. The cost will be between $200-$400.

It you need to remove those O2 sensors spray them with BP Blaster and let them soak over night.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

It you need to remove those O2 sensors spray them with BP Blaster and let them soak over night.
    I know you meant PB Blaster but I chuckled when I read that. We could definitely use something to blast BP with
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

Ha Ha... Oops.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    Those are SS headers. Don't heat wrap them as it will cause corrosion from moisture being trapped behind the wrap. You can get them ceramic coated. Swain Tech is one company that comes highly recommended. The cost will be between $200-$400.

Ok thanks, how can you tell they are SS headers instead of AA headers?
    CDV Delete, AUX Input, Clear TMS Lights, Stealth Bulbs, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, Black Grille,
    aFe Stage 1 CAI Pro 5r, Dinan Front Strut Brace, CF Splitters, Active Autowerke Headers

Ss= stainless steel

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Ss= stainless steel
    Wow, I was thinking he meant Supersprint for some reason and was confused Yeah they are stainless steel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast