Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Selecting A New Suspension Setup

I've reached about 112k miles on my car and am thinking about refreshing/upgrading my suspension. I am new to suspension and have done some research about coilovers and the different setups e46 owners like but I need some help deciding which setup would be best for me. I want a new suspension that is more performance oriented than the stock setup but I don't want the harsh ride of a race car since my ZHP is my DD. How do Bilstein Sports with H&R Sport Springs compare with new OEM ZHP shocks, struts, and springs, is there really that much difference in performance? I know it would be lower than the stock setup and I've read Bilsteins are generally firmer (better performance?) than Konis but would it make the car handle considerably better?

And this brings me to my question about coilovers. There are many coilovers on the market and with a big price range. I've found that most cheap coilovers (<$1000) and especially those made in China/Taiwan are not well liked unless your only objective is to be lowered and to have control of the height. So compared to a new OEM ZHP suspension would these actually make your car handle worse since the internals, i'm assuming, are cheap? Do KW V1 Coilovers handle significantly better than cheap coilovers?

I know many of you on this forum are fans of the BC Racing BR-Type coilovers which are relatively cheap compared to coilovers like KW and GC. Between the Bilstein Sports with H&R Sport Springs and BC Racing BR-Type coilovers, do BC coilovers perform better or is the premium only because you can adjust them however you want.

I know its a lot of questions, there are so many suspension products out there and I am trying to figure out how they really compare.
    Also, anyone here think its worth buying those STANDARD R3's? It's a great deal but after seeing so many bad reviews of cheap coilovers made in China, not that those are cheap but they aren't well known, I am unsure if it would be a good move.
    2004 Silver Grey ZHP Sedan 6 Speed Manual
    CDV Delete, AUX Input, Clear TMS Lights, Stealth Bulbs, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, Black Grille,
    aFe Stage 1 CAI Pro 5r, Dinan Front Strut Brace, CF Splitters, Active Autowerke Headers

Quote Originally Posted by NickZHP View Post
    I've reached about 112k miles on my car and am thinking about refreshing/upgrading my suspension. I am new to suspension and have done some research about coilovers and the different setups e46 owners like but I need some help deciding which setup would be best for me. I want a new suspension that is more performance oriented than the stock setup but I don't want the harsh ride of a race car since my ZHP is my DD. How do Bilstein Sports with H&R Sport Springs compare with new OEM ZHP shocks, struts, and springs, is there really that much difference in performance? I know it would be lower than the stock setup and I've read Bilsteins are generally firmer (better performance?) than Konis but would it make the car handle considerably better?

And this brings me to my question about coilovers. There are many coilovers on the market and with a big price range. I've found that most cheap coilovers (<$1000) and especially those made in China/Taiwan are not well liked unless your only objective is to be lowered and to have control of the height. So compared to a new OEM ZHP suspension would these actually make your car handle worse since the internals, i'm assuming, are cheap? Do KW V1 Coilovers handle significantly better than cheap coilovers?

I know many of you on this forum are fans of the BC Racing BR-Type coilovers which are relatively cheap compared to coilovers like KW and GC. Between the Bilstein Sports with H&R Sport Springs and BC Racing BR-Type coilovers, do BC coilovers perform better or is the premium only because you can adjust them however you want.

I know its a lot of questions, there are so many suspension products out there and I am trying to figure out how they really compare.
    Also, anyone here think its worth buying those STANDARD R3's? It's a great deal but after seeing so many bad reviews of cheap coilovers made in China, not that those are cheap but they aren't well known, I am unsure if it would be a good move.
    I think BMWCurves' thread pretty much sums it up. Better performance for a DD for relatively minimal cost with all new ancillary parts. I went with Bilstein PSS simply because my car will no longer be a DD and I happened to find a good deal otherwise I would have gone this route as well.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    I think BMWCurves' thread pretty much sums it up. Better performance for a DD for relatively minimal cost with all new ancillary parts.

+1 to this. if you just want to refresh with a 'plus' (the konis), go this route.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by NoVAphotog View Post
    I think BMWCurves' thread pretty much sums it up. Better performance for a DD for relatively minimal cost with all new ancillary parts. I went with Bilstein PSS simply because my car will no longer be a DD and I happened to find a good deal otherwise I would have gone this route as well.

Beat me to it!

I can't speak for coilovers, but so far I am loving my refreshed suspension. Compared to my worn OEM suspension, my new suspension is firm but still compliant and comfortable (I'm set at 3/4 turn from soft). It's also incredibly communicative. I can tell where bumps are, feel the road, and the balance of the car but the ride is far from jarring. My car performs nicely in the corners, more confidence inspiring than before. It feels more planted and very willing to turn in aggressively. Comfort is noticeably better than my shot OEM shocks/struts. In short, I believe it is OEM+ and it works great for a daily driver.

If you want to lower the car, you might look into H&R Sport springs as well. I think they lower our cars like 0.5-0.75" in the front and 0.25" in the rear. I like the lowered look for our cars but I would most certainly scrape my front bumper on common drive ways if I had, so I opted to stick with the stock springs.

I've heard Bilsteins are much firmer than Konis to the point of annoyance for some, but I can't speak from experience.

If you're patient you might be able to scoop up a set of gently used coilovers at a decent price like Daniel did. Just might require some time.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by NickZHP View Post
    I want a new suspension that is more performance oriented than the stock setup but I don't want the harsh ride of a race car since my ZHP is my DD.
    This is what I was going for, as well. At the time I was DDing it 100 miles a day, so didn't want anything too harsh!

I ended up going with Koni FSDs with the Eibach Pro-Kit springs. At first I wasn't thrilled, but they must have needed a little time to break in or something. I didn't think that was a thing, but I ended up really, really liking them. Exactly the balance I was looking for between performance and a nice comfy highway ride. Still loving them. Wish I would have put them on my prius, too!

That said, I have very little experience with coilovers. So, take it for what it's worth

I will only speak for Bilstein products as I've never ventured outside of it. I think you have to decide whether you want any height adjustability. If you don't then go with a set of Sport Springs and your choice of shocks. Bilstein Sports are quite firm. I've had them on 3 different cars and have driven to Missouri and back several times. I don't mind them, but there are softer rides out there. I've only recently gone into the PSS lineup. I bought a set on e46f a little over a year ago. They had 1,000 miles on them and the guy put them up for $500. I messaged him within 10 minutes and bought them. He had 3 more offers in the next 30 minutes. His wife claimed they were too rough and he ended up going the FSD route. I was getting into track days and the PSS was a natural progression and I've now migrated to the PSS-10's.
    My recommendation is to see if anyone in your area has some different lineups. Bilsteins, Koni's, etc.
    I will say that I posted some Bilstein Sports with the H&R Sport springs for sale on here and e46f. 25k miles on the shocks/struts, 10k on the springs. Even comes with almost new top hats. No need to take the fronts apart to get pieces off them, because the rubber pads are still there. All you have to get is new RSM's.

I'd go Koni. I have Yellow but str.t are worth considering. I bought a used set of KWs and I quickly saw how they have some design flaws in the spring adjuster plates--using a hex nut vs using two rings. The Allen/hex nut was completely seased up. KW actually has a line item on the RMA sheet for this repair so it must be fairly common. KISS and go with Koni or Bilstein.

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I'd go Koni. I have Yellow but str.t are worth considering.
    personally, i would pass on the str.t and go with the yellow. koni's rebound damping is nice. i really want to drive a ZHP with koni yellows and stock springs.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    I bought a used set of KWs and I quickly saw how they have some design flaws in the spring adjuster plates--using a hex nut vs using two rings. The Allen/hex nut was completely seased up. KW actually has a line item on the RMA sheet for this repair so it must be fairly common. KISS and go with Koni or Bilstein.
    yep. bilstein uses a locking ring, which makes more sense to me. less to go wrong!

i've used ST (KW) v1's in the past and while i bought them new, i did not like that hex screw in the adjuster ring. too frail for long term use. also, while i found the rest of the build quality to be decent, i did not like the damping (under-damped), and spring rates supplied with the kit.

after experiencing the build quality, and ride quality of the bilstein PSS i just put on my ZHP - i can't see anything better for the money. excellent stuff. and a lifetime warranty!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    personally, i would pass on the str.t and go with the yellow. koni's rebound damping is nice. i really want to drive a ZHP with koni yellows and stock springs.
    Head due west for a short 3,000 mile jaunt and I'll let you have a spin in mine, and then I can try yours with the PSS!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Head due west for a short 3,000 mile jaunt and I'll let you have a spin in mine, and then I can try yours with the PSS!
    that would be inefficient, but fun.

actually, i really want to drive cross-country and then down the PCH. would be an awesome family road trip. it would have to be in the ZHP.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast