Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Do you have tethering on your account? I think it's needed, but BP or Garry can answer, I'm sure.

I believe I do not - I think AT&T (in Oregon at least?) disables proper tethering. Can the D5150Z still just play Spotify / Pandora / Podcasts via the USB connection, and place/receive calls via Bluetooth?

Those are the big ones for me, as well as Nav audio interrupting whatever music / podcast is playing. I don't really need the actual screen to display the GPS, unless it's easy to do so.

Perhaps it's impulsive, but I just went ahead and ordered the D5150Z, with the idea that a 40% price plus free camera is a solid deal that's worth giving a shot. I'll post install / trip report pictures if anyone's interested. Hopefully it covers my basic needs well, and all the bells & whistles don't get in the way

Quote Originally Posted by mynamenumber View Post
    Perhaps it's impulsive, but I just went ahead and ordered the D5150Z, with the idea that a 40% price plus free camera is a solid deal that's worth giving a shot. I'll post install / trip report pictures if anyone's interested. Hopefully it covers my basic needs well, and all the bells & whistles don't get in the way
    Hmm. That is tempting. I wonder if a new model is coming soon.... I don't think they've announced one.

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

Let me know how you like it! I've been eyeing up this for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If this allows for Bluetooth streaming im definitely sold
    Shawn, 801

I asked Colin (23) about it and he said he's pretty happy with his stock nav HU and his aux Jack.

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

Well, first impressions:

The EONON D5150Z is basically installed, but I haven't "sealed up" the front yet.

This unit, sadly and somehow, does not actually have a USB in the rear. As I mentioned earlier, this is the primary reason I got the unit, so I'm kinda confused. Also, it seems to have been a part of an earlier model, as seen in this video on my model's page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mdIO8ed_0

So, that's pretty bad so far. I will say that call audio is nice via Bluetooth, and in fact the bluetooth audio streaming sounds a quite a bit better than the iPhone through the AUX jack, so that's a positive.

I'll keep finishing up the install, doing a bit more research, and post some more complete thoughts soon, if anyone's interested.

I'm glad this thread happened. I was going to start one to access the collective knowledge of the ZHP mafia. I'm not one to just start asking questions when the answer is well-established, but I've tried to research this and end up more confused than when I started. There are a dozen solutions, some older, some newer, and most threads have missing pictures, dead links, etc. So, I'm after sort of the best practice at this point.

I have a huge music collection, but it's all ripped to Apple Lossless for high-quality listening at home. To avoid recompressing a second version of the giant library or selectively deploying a portion of it, I just use Spotify. As long as I have a decent signal, I can listen to damn near anything. I'm considering Apple Music for the cost-effective family plan, but so far I still prefer Spotify.

Anyway, I've driven recent rental cars where I could plug my Lightning cable into the USB port in the dash or center console, the phone would charge, and the phone would be connected to the car via the car's D/A converter, which meant no noise.

I already bought the the aux input cable, but a single USB connection would be sweet. I'm not as worried about steering wheel controls or data display as I am just a simple, neat connection.

I don't want a new aftermarket head-unit, mainly for aesthetic reasons. Even the Eonon or Dynavin still have a bit of that "aftermarket" look, no disrespect intended to any who have them. I just want to stay OEM-looking.

Is the Intravee II and Alpine KCA-420i still the way to go?

The ToysInYourCar site appears to be down so I can't research cost or availability at the moment.

I've thought about an Airport Express and AirPlay with the aux input, but then I have to tear the Airport Express apart and figure out the power supply, etc. and I'll want the phone plugged in to charge anyway.

Thanks, guys!!!

SC
    2004 ZHP Vert - Titanium Silver 6MT
    BMW CCA Rocky Mountain Chapter #504522
    ZHP Replacement: 2012 E93 M3 * Daily Driver: 2007 Hummer H3 Adventure * Wife-mobile: 2016 VW Touareg Exec

Doh. I got the toysinyourcar.com site to load on my phone, and I see you need some sort of adapter to power a newer iPhone with the Lightning connector, which takes me back to just using the aux input. It's dirt cheap and I already have it. I just lose the steering wheel track controls and on-screen display, and I need two cables (power and audio) but I'm not sure I care.

<shrug>

The Lightning connector has been around since 2012... Nobody just makes a plan old USB input like you'd find in a Hyundai or something that I can use with an iPhone or Android device? I was fine with that basic level of functionality/integration. Charge and aux input. Single cable. Worked for me.

SC
    2004 ZHP Vert - Titanium Silver 6MT
    BMW CCA Rocky Mountain Chapter #504522
    ZHP Replacement: 2012 E93 M3 * Daily Driver: 2007 Hummer H3 Adventure * Wife-mobile: 2016 VW Touareg Exec

Quote Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
    Is the Intravee II and Alpine KCA-420i still the way to go?
    Intravee II features (copied from Ian's thread):

1) Best iPod interface for the car, bar none
    2) Programable buttons
    3) Automatic clock setting based on GPS
    4) Graphical display of the parking distance control sensors on the nav screen, automatically enabled when you put the car in reverse
    5) Automatic folding up of side mirrors, if you have power fold mirrors
    6) Data logging of your car when you drop it off at the dealership/shop-- including if it was revved out when cold!
    7) Updatable firmware with new features added regularly
    8) No glitchiness!
    9) Support for many, MANY alpine devices-- MP3 CD changers, HD radio, sirius, xm, etc etc.

Go here for more information on the Intravee II

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=346739

It's an older post and some pictures are missing but you will still have some useful information regarding the Intravee II...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast