Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Car finally left me stranded

I was driving around the city last night and after 181,000 miles my car has finally left me stranded. I was going about 20 mph with almost no load on the engine and there was a big stutter or hiccup. It almost felt like the car died while moving and then quickly refired. 20 seconds later it did it again. And then it would do it every few seconds until I pulled over and shut it down. Every stutter was accompanied by a very fast 500 rpm drop of the tachometer, a very fast flash of the battery light and then right back to normal for a few seconds. When I pulled over it idled for a few seconds and died. When it is running between stutters it runs and feels perfectly normal. Also this is not just a single misfire, it is much more pronounced then that. The car really bucks hard when it happens.

Any thoughts on what is going on? Currently the car is parked on the side of the road in a safe place, but I have family visiting this weekend so I don't have any real time to dig into anything else. Anybody experience these symptoms before?

Thanks.

You haven't yet replaced your fuel pump, have you? If not, it's probably due.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    +1
    Could be a clogged fuel filter too I think... if the pump and filter haven't been replaced yet, it's a good time to replace both irrespective of which one caused the issue now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

This is what popped in my head.

MWL come on?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Battery light has me thinking its either battery or alternator related

Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post

Perhaps. Belts all look good?

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by KTS317 View Post

It only came on for a brief moment. It seems unlikely it's battery related. The car did stall - the battery light comes on at that time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

It's on the original pump.

No MWL. Not yet anyway.

Haven't seen the car since I left it on the side of the road on Thursday. Will go back today and do a little investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Perhaps. Belts all look good?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast