Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Improving steering feel

I recently purchased my 2005 ZHP with 114,800 miles. At the same time I sold a 2004 325 convertible with 23,700 miles. One of the key differences I notice is in steering feel. With the low mileage 325, the steering was noticeably tighter even at very low speeds - 5 to 10 mph. At this low speed, when I turn the wheel side to side it was heavy and tight. The steering wheel would spring back strong and tight when I would turn to one side and let go. My ZHP feels looser. The shocks are original on the ZHP, and I'm planned to upgrade to Koni Sports in the future, but I don't think the old shocks and struts are causing this difference. What other steering components could be the cause and need replacement? I read on someone's project forum about tie rods. Could that be it?

Thanks for your help.

I'd say struts/shocks, various bushings, steering coupler, control arms, and a good alignment should set you straight. Not sure about tie rods, someone else who has replaced them can speak to that or other components.

At that mileage your shocks/struts have been toast for ages - stockers are shot by 50k easily. As William states above, you probably need just about everything refreshed. My ZHP is at 82k miles and I did a fairly comprehensive refresh when I bought it at 52k miles, and it's tight as a drum still to this day. Best steering feel of ANY car I've ever owned. Good luck - once you've tackled this, you'll definitely be pleased with the results.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Improving steering feel

Maybe start with FCABs. I'd recommend the Z4M ones. Konis go on sale in March I think. And steering coupler/guibo.

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member

Thanks for the advice. The front and rear trailing arm control bushing were replaced by previous owner at 93,000 miles, in June 2013. I should have mentioned that in my OP.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Maybe start with FCABs. I'd recommend the Z4M ones. Konis go on sale in March I think. And steering coupler/guibo.

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46f member
    I think you're on to something with the steering coupler. In the post below, the same complaint as mine - play in steering wheel and loose in steering wheel. Once they changed the coupler, folks immediately noticed the tighter steering.

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=917747

I have had 4 E46s.
    Steering coupler was bad on all of them.
    Shawn is spot on.
    Also, tires and tire pressure play a role here.
    Start with checking pressures, get an alignment check, absolutely do the steering coupler, and report back!
    Shocks, etc after that.

BMW CCA # 510252

Ordered steering coupler from ECS Tuning today. I'll report back after install and test drive. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I'd say struts/shocks, various bushings, steering coupler, control arms, and a good alignment should set you straight. Not sure about tie rods, someone else who has replaced them can speak to that or other components.
    The coupler was William's idea first, I was just echoing it. Though I have had 4 E46s and don't think it was bad on any of them...

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    The coupler was William's idea first, I was just echoing it. Though I have had 4 E46s and don't think it was bad on any of them...
    Cheers.

I don't think I've ever experienced a bad steering coupler either, but I remember reading Simmsled, maybe johnrando and a few other users a few months ago talking about the improved feel of the steering after they replaced the coupler.

Hope it works out, Lorenzo!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast