Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

First Impressions on Track: My 2005 ZHP takes its maiden voyage around Texas ...

Nice wright-up. It's been a few years since my last driving school and reading this makes me want to go back.m

Added note on the pads.

I recently went with the new Hawk 5.0 HPS and have a significantly shorter brake distance, no noise and low dust. A little different feel without the initial bite but, very smooth and predictable response to pedal pressure.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 3ZHPGUY; 01-10-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Quote Originally Posted by AggieBlake View Post
    Great suggestions, Peter! Thanks, man. M3 seats and mounts - my wish-list is growing! And you're right, I was not aware of the DSC/DTC distinction. Time to do some research on that. Thanks for the tip.
    no problem. here's an in-car video of my car, it's hard to tell how loud the engine noise is, as i recorded it with my iPhone. but it's just the right amount.

Also I notice in your picture that you're running what looks like 17" Arc8's. Correct? I'm very interested in going that route with a squared set-up for better balance and easy tire rotation. I love the look of 18's but they are not nearly as practical as 17's (less rotational inertia, better damping, less expensive). You have any regrets going that route?
    i know you posed this question to derek, but i went to 17" Style 68s. 20lbs per wheel, they are staggered though. no regrets. they don't look as good as the 18's but everything else is better!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Great suggestions, Peter! Thanks, man. M3 seats and mounts - my wish-list is growing! And you're right, I was not aware of the DSC/DTC distinction. Time to do some research on that. Thanks for the tip.
    Both are on my list of to-do things as well. I really want M3 seats for the added support and comfort.

For a quick break down on the distinctions between the two (taken from the source linked below):
    Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) is the default operation for your car's stability and traction control systems. Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a different system, where moderate wheelspin is allowed, in order to gain traction in slippery road conditions. To engage DTC, and take the car out of DSC, press the button on the center console. You will have the ability to spin the tires slightly, but your stability control will be in your hands. By holding the button down, your car eliminates the availability of both systems.

In summary:
    • By default: DSC = ON, DTC = OFF
    • 1 press turns DTC ON (slip icon is lit in the gauge cluster.)
    • 3 sec press = both systems disengaged (both the slip icon and the "brake" icon are lit on the gauge cluster)

Braking functions (ABS, ABD, etc) are not impacted in either mode.

Source: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...6#post12012316

Excellent! Thanks Derek. What pads are you running now that you're not swapping? I've loved the carbotech XP8's on the miata, but they're a bit squeaky for around town use. I'll check out the Schroth unit. And a TSE3 is definitely on the list. I'm hoping (unrealistically probably) to find one used somewhere. They are pricey.

Also I notice in your picture that you're running what looks like 17" Arc8's. Correct? I'm very interested in going that route with a squared set-up for better balance and easy tire rotation. I love the look of 18's but they are not nearly as practical as 17's (less rotational inertia, better damping, less expensive). You have any regrets going that route?
    I can't answer for Derek (Derbo), but I and I think Daniel (NoVaPhotog) are planning to go the route of Apex ARC-8s in 17", for the reasons you cited. I emailed Apex a couple of months ago and they said they were planning to do a group buy for 17" ARC-8s shortly after the new year. Just a heads up if you want to get them on discount!
    Last edited by BMWCurves; 01-11-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Glad you had a great time on the track! The ZHP is a fun vehicle at the track even if it is a heavier track car compared to most. It's balance of the chassis just allows the driver to experience something great and stable.

Let me clarify the traction control system so it's dead simple to understand as I have played with it countless times in all climates.

By default the car won't allow rear wheel spin by using the rear brakes or adjust engine timing to lower power output. By default it also uses the brakes to control mild to moderate understeer and oversteer. If you really step over the law of physics, your understeer or oversteer will just be minimized before you crash.

One press, the amber triangle:
    - Allows rear wheel spin (when wheel is pointed straight) which you normally use in the snow to get out of a stuck spot. If you understeer or oversteer, the system will intervene and keep you in check. Because this mode allows wheel spin, you may oversteer a little bit more than default settings before the system attempts a recovery.

Hold press, the yellow triangle + yellow brake light:
    - Allows rear wheel spin and allows you to understeer/oversteer to your heart's content.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Very helpful everyone! I have a couple questions. First, from what I'm reading in the DSC/DTC links you all sent, the systems only differ under 42mph. After that you still have all systems functioning unless you've fully disabled both. Correct? Peter, are you noticing a difference b/w DSC and DTC at track speeds? Even in the slowest corners I'm not dropping below that threshold.

I would love in on the Apex 17" group buy if I can swing the price. Anyone know what discounts typically run? I have my set of practically perfect ZHP wheels with ⅔ life Mich PSS. Any ideas what these tend to sell for? As much as I'd like to keep them, I'm probably going to be money limited and will need to sell them to offset the cost of 17" wheels and tires.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I and I think Daniel (NoVaPhotog) are planning to go the route of Apex ARC-8s in 17", for the reasons you cited. I emailed Apex a couple of months ago and they said they were planning to do a group buy for 17" ARC-8s shortly after the new year. Just a heads up if you want to get them on discount!
    +1

I love this thread. Thanks for your thoughts and impressions Blake! The ZHP is the best all-around car you can get for the price by far. Timeless looks, ability to pull double duty for the practical enthusiast right out of the box, not too fast, not too slow, did I mention sexy?

I definitely have my eye on those ARC-8's if they get around to having the group buy, as of now they have one up for the 19" wheels...not a fan.

I'll definitely be coming back with some impressions myself in the Spring/early Summer. Since my car will no longer be a DD, I definitely want to get an HPDE or two in. Either at VIR or Summit Point, preference is for VIR...because VIR.

Planning on having the Bilstein PSS installed by then coupled with the LSD (awesome by the way!) and hopefully the ARC-8's...

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Yep, a LSD is definitely on the list, but a bit further down. One day!

I hope you do VIR - that's on my bucket list along with Leguna Seca.

Very helpful everyone! I have a couple questions. First, from what I'm reading in the DSC/DTC links you all sent, the systems only differ under 42mph. After that you still have all systems functioning unless you've fully disabled both. Correct? Peter, are you noticing a difference b/w DSC and DTC at track speeds? Even in the slowest corners I'm not dropping below that threshold.

I would love in on the Apex 17" group buy if I can swing the price. Anyone know what discounts typically run? I have my set of practically perfect ZHP wheels with ⅔ life Mich PSS. Any ideas what these tend to sell for? As much as I'd like to keep them, I'm probably going to be money limited and will need to sell them to offset the cost of 17" wheels and tires.
    The 18" group buy had $50 off per wheel and free shipping, so I imagine the 17" would be around the same, maybe a bit less?

As for your Style 135 wheels and tires, depends on the condition but you can definitely get several hundred bucks for them. I haven't actually watched the price of what they're selling for (I should since my father's thinking about selling his set), but someone else with better knowledge can help you out with a proper starting price.

Excellent! Thanks Derek. What pads are you running now that you're not swapping? I've loved the carbotech XP8's on the miata, but they're a bit squeaky for around town use. I'll check out the Schroth unit. And a TSE3 is definitely on the list. I'm hoping (unrealistically probably) to find one used somewhere. They are pricey.

I don't daily drive my ZHP so I have carbotech XP12s in the front and XP8 in the rear (waiting for them to die before upgrading to a stronger pad in the rear). I'm actually thinking about going to PFC06 or PFC08s but thats about $600+ for brake pads..

You are correct. I do have 17s.

Specs are:
    17x8.5 +40
    245/40/17 Dunlop Star Spec Z1s

I love the 17 square setup. Tires are FAR cheaper. ie. My next tire is an RE71R 255/40/17 at $758 from Tirerack. Same tire in 255/35/18 is $1070. I'm just happy my stoptech BBK in the front clears the 17s and still have a good amount of tread available.

Here is the link to the Schroth. It's a bit pricey but for a daily driver this is ideal. I used to use this and it was good but I moved onto a bucket seat.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/schroth...ess-p1125.aspx

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    great new sig pic, derek!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast