Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Engine cranks but will not start (Already replaced fuel pump & crank sensor)

I'm having a frustrating no start/intermittent no start/cold start situation. I have searched the forums, and cannot pinpoint the problem.
    I have an 05 ZHP sedan. 115,000 miles. Engine cranks but intermittently does not start. As temps get near or below freezing the car seems less likely to start (not sure if this is a coincidence or not).

Just put in new fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pump relay after having to tow the car to my indy mechanic after being stranded.

It started up for a day or 2, and then would not start. Had to tow it back to my indy. They just installed a new crank sensor. It started while inside the heated shop, but after parking the car outside in the cold it took 3 attempts to start.

Fuel pressure appears fine.

No Check Engine light and no codes are being thrown.

When it starts, it runs and drives normal.

We will check compression next. I am able to repeatedly attempt to start the car. It cranks and cranks, but more often than not just will not start.

Any Ideas? I'm kind of at a loss as to what the culprit could be at this point.
    Last edited by nozhp4u; 01-15-2016 at 05:30 PM.

I'd rule out compression; if it runs fine.

It's a long shot, but have you tried adding some HEET/dry gas to the tank to see if that's part of the problem? Failing that, sounds like you have an intermittent electrical problem.
    12 BMW X5 3.5i xDrive (E70)
    12 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 turbo (the black sheep)
    03 BMW 330i ZHP (E46)
    01 BMW X5 3.0i (E53)
    79 Triumph Spitfire
    73 MGB

Maybe the injector relay is bad?

Engine cranks but will not start (Already replaced fuel pump & crank sensor)

Good suggestion - We did put some HEET in the gas tank earlier on in the diagnosis process. Unfortunately it didn't cure the intermittent no starts. I will look into the injector relay also - tks. Due to the increased propensity for a no start when temps are at or below freezing, I wonder if there could be a metal contact or connection expanding/contracting to the point where a necessary circuit fails ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this sounds like exactly what my car is doing, however I do have 2 rich codes being thrown. Keep us updated if you get the problem narrowed down

Does it ever not crank?

It sounds like you have pretty much confirmed you have fuel. And it's cranking, and I think we can safely assume you have air. So all that's left really would be spark...? Have you checked the plugs and ignition coils? Not sure how much sense that makes if it's sometimes running...

I would usually assume electrical problems, but if it's cranking I'm not so sure.

I stopped by the shop where the car is. The plugs were checked (pretty darn black on the ends). We replaced with new. When the car is inside in their heated garage it seems to start up fine. When it goes outside to sub freezing temps, it usually just cranks but does not start.

I asked them about the battery being a possibility. Hadn't really considered this as a possible culprit as the car cranks repeatedly with no issue even at 5-10 degrees and it is only 2 years old. Bosch battery tester showed voltage and CCA readings below spec.

Could a bad battery potentially cause this crank but no start scenario?

Yes, bad battery can cause all kinds of havoc on these cars.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by nozhp4u View Post
    I stopped by the shop where the car is. The plugs were checked (pretty darn black on the ends). We replaced with new. When the car is inside in their heated garage it seems to start up fine. When it goes outside to sub freezing temps, it usually just cranks but does not start.

I asked them about the battery being a possibility. Hadn't really considered this as a possible culprit as the car cranks repeatedly with no issue even at 5-10 degrees and it is only 2 years old. Bosch battery tester showed voltage and CCA readings below spec.

Could a bad battery potentially cause this crank but no start scenario?

Yes replace the battery and plugs. I just did that to mine and seems to start easier and was having same problem. Granted, my car has not been directly outside but has been in an unheated garage for the past few days.

I bet it's the CCV that blackened my plugs. I should probably refresh the CCV system as I live in a cold climate area. Noticed the telltale "yellow snot," or "mayo" on the oil cap on occasion in the winter if the car hasn't had the opportunity to get temps fully up for extended periods. Even so, I don't think that could be a root cause for a no-start condition. Sounds like you guys agree a weak battery could potentially cause cold temp no-starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast