Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    I have a mid-04 production and I noticed that I have a third hole (circled in red) b/w the two large, plugged holes, however it's not precisely b/w the two. When I peer into the third hole, or when I look into the driver's hole that's plugged, I can see two layers of metal and it doesn't appear that there's any foam that has hardened in there. That the third hole exists make me thinks a prior owner had this done, however, it doesn't seem to be in the right place based on the BMW bulletin. Also, I'm the only owner of the car out of warranty so if this was done it would have been done by a dealer. Further, the other hole that's supposed to be accessed under the sound deadening material (not visible but would be far top left of my photo) does not exist - all the sound deadening material is intact.

Any ideas?

Name:  zhp rear2.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  78.9 KB
    Last edited by nsk040; 04-01-2018 at 05:10 AM.

If you don't see it, it's probably not there. Looks like they might of started with it in September of '04 since me and Salty both have September '04 production dates and the modification is there... Perhaps BMW said October 04 to cover cars already in production...

Do you know the month of production on your car?
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Realoem has mine as a July '04 production date - but I will try to confirm this elsewhere.

Salty seems to have a similarly located "third hole" which can be seen to the right of the red square in post #50

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...862#post551862

Does the existence of this third hole mean that someone at some point drilled it, or did it come that way from the factory? In the BMW service bulletin (the pdf), it says that this hole does not exist and must be drilled...but it also says that it should be drilled half-way b/w the left and right side of the vehicle...mine is clearly more towards the left side.

Salty - In that post you seem to conclude that BMW did do the reinforcement. I thought that the foam reinforcement (assuming this is what you're talking about) would literally have filled up the lower cavity and likely spilled somewhat into the upper cavity as well - I don't see this when I look at the 2nd photo in your post. Can you clarify and explain what you mean by Blue Epoxy and Black Plastic Reinforcement Block?
    Last edited by nsk040; 04-01-2018 at 06:00 AM.

The support we are taking about is hard composite added between the layers during production. The foam reinforcement is preventative maintenance done at the dealership
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

^ This. The factory production modification of gluing in a hard plastic/composite piece with blue epoxy to prevent flex didn't come into play until late in the lifecycle of the E46's production. The reinforced epoxy fill of the cavity was an in-field solution.
    __________________________________________________ _____
    2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP Jet Black/Black with aluminum cube
    Bone stock at the moment

Got it - mine is not reinforced in any way. Odd that the third hole exists, however.

I'll create a separate thread seeking to clarify a few items from the BMW pdf bulletin b/c I do want to do the foam.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678