Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks for checking!! Sounds like our cars are different, which would confirm that something did change after 10/2004. When I feel inside the two holes, they are not the same once you get down into the second cavity. The one on the driver's side is surrounded by plastic. The one on the passenger side is not. If yours are the same, then BMW did add something in cars built after 10/2004.

Here's the official instructions (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attac...8&d=1374195971). Note that the epoxy reinforcement done by BMW was only for the driver's side, not the passenger side. It seems that was where the vast majority of failures occurred.

So this leaves me wondering if my car is safe as-is to track. I've yet to find any evidence of any subframe failures in e46 non-M's built after 10/2004. But I sure wish BMW would have been more forthcoming on this issue and on their design modifications!

NorCalZman, any chance you want to pop those two rubber plugs and look inside yours. It would be interesting to see if your car's the same as mine.

Blake - 2005 330i ZHP 6-sp

Yea there is nothing in the second cavity in mine.
    Any chance you can take a picture of the inside of the left like I did? I used my iPhone and a flashlight.
    I'm really interested to see what's in there...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

This is the best I could do. Pretty poor pic. This is a time when I really need a camera scope!

This is on the driver's side looking all the way down through the second hole into the subframe floor/subframe top panel cavity (the bottom cavity). You can see a little of the black plastic. The rest is out of view but totally surrounds that hole. So as best I can tell, if I inject epoxy I will only get about a cubic inch of it in the bottom cavity before it overflows into the top cavity, which does not help me. The other side (passenger) is open, and would therefore possibly be good to epoxy.

Name:  IMG_1300.JPG
Views: 509
Size:  624.5 KB

Also, just so I'm clear, when you say "left" are you talking about from the driver's seat, so the driver's side? Or looking at the front of the car (so passenger's side)?

Very interesting. Makes me want to look at both of my zhp sedans

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Appears there's a similar discussion going on across the pond among some M3 guys who noticed that unusual piece of plastic in the bottom cavity of their 2005 cars: http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showth...=138030&page=2

If interested, read posts 9, 10, 12, 20, 21, 22, 23. Maybe they'll find out some more info.

Interesting, yep looks like you got something there.... Good find!
    I'm going to have to check mine from another angle... Being built in 9/04 mine probably doesn't have it...
    If structural foam was pumped in there, you wouldn't be able to see the bottom of the inner mount at all....let a lone a black plastic structure

This is all very interesting and important to know as is the first I've heard of proof that BMW did something to alleviate this problem.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by AggieBlake View Post

NorCalZman, any chance you want to pop those two rubber plugs and look inside yours. It would be interesting to see if your car's the same as mine.
    Im sick and not feeling like getting up off the couch for another day or two but Ill get to it. So how did you get the rubber plugs out? I don't want to scrape at anything if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Interesting, yep looks like you got something there.... Good find!
    I'm going to have to check mine from another angle... Being built in 9/04 mine probably doesn't have it...
    If structural foam was pumped in there, you wouldn't be able to see the bottom of the inner mount at all....let a lone a black plastic structure

This is all very interesting and important to know as is the first I've heard of proof that BMW did something to alleviate this problem.
    taking into consideration BMW had been implementing fixes ever since the LCI, in my mind if the foam is not needed for the last few E46s, they had to have done something else to keep the subframes from ripping.
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Hope you feel better soon, man. No rush on any of this.

The plugs are super easy to remove. You won't scrape anything. Just use a small flat screwdriver, or better yet a flat plastic tool like a plastic putty knife. They come out with little pressure.

Foam subframe reinforcement - production date question - technical

I just checked mine again and it does have the plastic filler piece like yours. I can also see a white plastic barbed fastener holding it in place on the subframe floor upper panel. I can also see blue epoxy glueing it to the subframe floor.
    Sorry the pics are a little blurry. It was really hard to get the phone to focus that close

In this pic you can see the black plastic structure that's sandwiched in there

And you can see the blue glue here

H&R sport springs,

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast