Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bigger diff

Bigger diff

Did a lil research and I must find a rear diff from an automatic 330, it has 3.64 gears and the manuals have 3.07 or something like that. Less mpg's but more low end tourqe is worth it to me.

Really....so we're gonna take this on?

Droid! Srs Legitness!
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Wish I could get a lsd but this would make me happy. Higher diff equals more pull and ass felt HP.

I have a 3.46 open in mine from a '99 autotragic 323. Best bang for the buck evah! I paid $200 shipped for it a couple years ago.

Also wish I could have gone LSD, but far too much coin. I wish there was a cheaper way to do that cuz it is a big improvement to getting the power down when exiting corners.
    Jeff

Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Join Us!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

I did the 2.97 to 3.38 swap and the difference was substantial. Of course, I have a 5spd, so I'm doing 4000 rpm's at 80. But I don't do a lot of highway driving so it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
    I have a 3.46 open in mine from a '99 autotragic 323. Best bang for the buck evah! I paid $200 shipped for it a couple years ago.

Also wish I could have gone LSD, but far too much coin. I wish there was a cheaper way to do that cuz it is a big improvement to getting the power down when exiting corners.
    Exactly this, and off the line at the stoplights.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSP-Mafia View Post
    I did the 2.97 to 3.38 swap and the difference was substantial. Of course, I have a 5spd, so I'm doing 4000 rpm's at 80. But I don't do a lot of highway driving so it works for me.
    I have a 4.10 lsd in my e30 and at 75mph im just above 3k on the tach.

Gheybe Guest
    Isn't the 3.64 from an automatic meaning its a 5 speed?

I think a 3.46 might be a little tight for us, a 3.38 should be perfect! Or a 3.46 with a higher rev limit.

Ian

Don't just swap diffs. Find an M3 rear end and swap that ish! M3's are higher geared and LSD. Plush they almost completely line up and swap out. Your rear offsets will change but whatever.....

Here is what you need from an M3

Some info from E46 fanatics
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696388

Putting this in here because...well.....this is my summer project

I really have no idea what I am doing

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Did a lil research and I must find a rear diff from an automatic 330, it has 3.64 gears and the manuals have 3.07 or something like that. Less mpg's but more low end tourqe is worth it to me.
    Do you mean 3.46 diff? Cause 3.64 is really high and I think is from the M3 only. I would recommend a 3.38 or 3.46 as those add a fairly aggressive bump in the low end. Personally I think a 3.64 would be too many rpms at cruising and require CONSTANT shifting. just my 2 cents.

Ebay headers | 3.38 diff | 2.5" cat-less exhaust | K&N intake | AA stage 1 software | UUC stage 1 light flywheel and clutch | UUC Evo 3 ssk | Driver Mod |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast