Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil Catch Can Owners

Enthusiasts here that have installed an Oil Catch Can in place of your stock CCV system what issue have you had with your car since you have installed it. Here in the East Cost with the temps well below freezing, the OCC freezing up is a real issue and should be closely monitored. During the winter months the can fills up with oily water that will freeze solid on those sub freezing nights/mornings. During the summer I don't have this problem and can go all summer with out even checking the can that will have very little build up. Also I have noticed a smell coming in through the HVAC system when the car is sitting at idle. It smells like spent exhaust gases or blow by gasses that in theory are escaping from the OCC system but the system is sealed and I have good vacuum pressure. I have capped off the oil return line on the dip stick tube, and I am considering reconnecting it to the catch can to see if that will solve my smell issue.

What other issue have anybody else had, if any with there systems?

I know of two members that have catch cans, CarbonZHP and slater, and there are probably more. I believe CarbonZHP is in the Bay Area, CA so he probably doesn't deal with freeze up too much. Slater came up with a heating system for his catch can because he lives in Ontario. You can see a thread discussing his setup here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...sible-solution

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorman5174 View Post
    Enthusiasts here that have installed an Oil Catch Can in place of your stock CCV system what issue have you had with your car since you have installed it. Here in the East Cost with the temps well below freezing, the OCC freezing up is a real issue and should be closely monitored. During the winter months the can fills up with oily water that will freeze solid on those sub freezing nights/mornings.
    absolutely, i've experienced it first-hand.

william so kindly linked to my thread above - if you read that in it's entirety you'll see how mine is setup. the CatchCanAntiFree (CCAF) system is working very well so far. you can either reply here or PM me if you have any questions!

Also I have noticed a smell coming in through the HVAC system when the car is sitting at idle. It smells like spent exhaust gases or blow by gasses that in theory are escaping from the OCC system but the system is sealed and I have good vacuum pressure. I have capped off the oil return line on the dip stick tube, and I am considering reconnecting it to the catch can to see if that will solve my smell issue.
    if you're smelling oily stuff in the HVAC system, you've got an oil leak somewhere. when my VCG leaked, it dripped ever-so-slowly on the headers, which resulted in that nasty smell in the cabin when idling.

What other issue have anybody else had, if any with there systems?
    no real issues other than freezing. although i should mention, two things:

1. i don't like the placement of my can. i'd prefer to put it in the 'drug bin', however that's a long hose run. still thinking about it.
    2. i don't really like the design of my catch can (ADD W1), but for troubleshooting the system initially - and during the CCAF development phase - the ability to open the can completely and inspect has been nice. it does not have great baffling. i have a new 42draftdesigns can here with excellent baffling that i want to install, when i can figure out where i'm going to mount it - it's pretty huge, and also, does not open - it does, however, have a drain valve. i like that.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I know of two members that have catch cans, CarbonZHP and slater, and there are probably more. I believe CarbonZHP is in the Bay Area, CA so he probably doesn't deal with freeze up too much. Slater came up with a heating system for his catch can because he lives in Ontario. You can see a thread discussing his setup here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...sible-solution
    thanks, william!
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Thanks for the responses, having the can freeze up on me once already was a serious pain but now in the winter I just make sure to check and empty the can weekly to make sure that it doesn't freeze solid and crack my valve cover like it happened once already. I will take a look at the thread for the heater which sounds intriguing.

The gas smell is definitely not an oil leak, I had to replace my vavle cover when the tank froze on me once so it was replaced with a new unit and gaskets, no oil leak there. Also I want to point out that the smell is not an oil burning smell but more of a exhaust gas/fuel smell coming from the engine compartment. I have checked to make sure that I am not leaking fuel anywhere or oil for that matter as I have since hunted down and cured every oil leak that I can find trying to solve this issue.

The kit I used was the RAD Oil Catch Can kit that you can find here

https://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can...esM3-P298.aspx

it mounts in the drug bin for a nice clean install, the hose routing is kind of long but is hidden under the engine cover and does not impede the function of the catch can in any way. I have excellent vacuum pressure and my car is very responsive. Also I do NOT have the mayo stuff on my oil cap that would indicate excessive blow by

Here is a link to my thread when I installed the system

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-Can-Installed

it mounts in the drug bin for a nice clean install, the hose routing is kind of long but is hidden under the engine cover and does not impede the function of the catch can in any way. I have excellent vacuum pressure and my car is very responsive. Also I do NOT have the mayo stuff on my oil cap that would indicate excessive blow by

Here is a link to my thread when I installed the system

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-Can-Installed
    are you still having idle issues? i see your PCV is mounted horizontally - it's speculated that this type of PCV needs to be mounted vertically. mine is mounted vertically, no idle issues.

mayo does not indicate excessive blow-by; mayo is the condensate formed when ambient temps are colder. increased vacuum from the catch can setup will pull all of the vapors out of the head so you won't see any on the oil cap, but you will see it in the catch can. when the ambient temp is cold, moisture builds in the can (moreso since it's a metal can) and mixes with the oil vapors. this is the condensate.

the other issue with the drug bin, is because it's so far away from the engine, its propensity to freeze is that much greater (although you've got +12v and ground posts RIGHT there, making wiring for the heating pad easy). mine is sitting right next to the upper radiator hose, so it gets as much post-shutdown radiant heat as possible. in order to get the 42draftdesigns can in there i am going to have to modify the fan shroud.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Please remind me; why is it such a big deal if it freezes up? Won't it just warm up again after the engine runs for a little while?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Please remind me; why is it such a big deal if it freezes up? Won't it just warm up again after the engine runs for a little while?
    if there's enough condensate in there, it will create backpressure in the head and blow out your VCG, and potentially crack the valve cover. BTDT.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    if there's enough condensate in there, it will create backpressure in the head and blow out your VCG, and potentially crack the valve cover. BTDT.
    How does it create back pressure? Just by expansion of the condensate being a solid when it's frozen?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    How does it create back pressure? Just by expansion of the condensate being a solid when it's frozen?
    blow-by has to evacuate the head through the port on the valve cover... if it can't get out - pressure builds up and then... well, it has to escape somehow.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    +1
    Exactly what happened to me.

I am still having cold idle issues but after the car warms up it goes away. I may have found the source of the smell today though. I noticed some oily residue building on the outside of the PCV valve. That could be the cause of my smell and also a hidden vacuum leak that's causing my idle issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast