Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Square setup and Brakes for track days

Good Day, I would like some feedaback from track day user on good option for sone brakes and square setup. Before I get flammed I did read a lot on it but everyone has different goals and criterias so its hard to really find the answer I'm looking for. Also take into consideration I have an ls3 engine and m3 rear end (not sure about trailing arm /spindle and suspension) to make things a little more complicated.

My plan is to get Apex ARC-8 17x9 et42 on RS-3 255/40r17. I think I will need a spacer up front and camber plates with -2.5f,-2r to make them fit in without rolling the fenders. I want the 17" mainly for keeping the rubber cost down. The Apex site says the wheel will clear 355mm bbk

I currently have stock brake with pss suspension, my first project will be to instal ptoper ducting and upgrade lines/fluid and pads (not sure which one yet). I will be running two set of pads up front (street/track), so ease of pad replacement is a factor.

I currently have ST-40 on my other car (dsm) and I like them, but i dont like the replacement ring cost (brembo rings are even worst).... I would like to keep the cost of consumable as low as possible.

Idially i would like to fit 355x32mm 1 pieces rotors that are cheap to replace, i dont care about the additional weight compared to 2 pieces rotors. Might use rotors made for other cars with the proper offset if it only needs machinig for the hub and i cand find callipers that will fit.

I dont like the m3 csl "upgrade" as the rotors are expensive and are drilled (prone to cracking) and not the greatest on pad wear.

The porsche brembo option isnt the greatest because if you want the larger rotors(345mm) your stock with the m3 csl again...

6 piston 135i brakes. Not the greatest option from what i have read.

It seems the best option would be the z06 6 pot with oem like rotors but then it prob doesnt clear the 17"

I guess im back with the ST, if i go that rte I would want the larger version made for the m3/z4m (355x32mm)

http://www.bimmerworld.com/StopTech-...5X32-ST40.html

Would these be hard to fit?

Thanks for your feedback, don't hesitate to highlight other options I have not mentioned.

Also anyone has experience with that kit?

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/super...only-p533.aspx

i think your wheel choice is great. light, decently affordable for a track wheel (let's not mention the CAD/USD exchange rate right now or we'll get depressed ). and i'm surprised a 355 will fit under the 17" ARC-8's, that is impressive.

since the LS3 engine is around the same weight as the M54B30 (415lbs for the LS3, 375lbs for the M54B30 - that's taken from the internet, so take it with a grain of salt ), and the mass is centered further back than the M54B30 (V8 vs I6), weight distribution is probably about the same. so you should be considering upgrading the rears as well - what are you ideas for that? because, really, in that light - the 135i brembo setup, front and rear, seems like the best option for cost/performance balance, and you've got more options for rotors.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

We were just taking about this somewhere. If you do the 135i brakes you will cook the Pistons if you don't use stock pads so either upgrade them right away or skip them.

I ran the 996s on my m3 and they were a decent upgrade over stock but the rotors were like you said CSL sized.

If you're going all out, I'd do Z06 or an actual ST kit to get the sizing correct. I'd tell you just to keep the stocks on with the brass bushing upgrade from turner but you might want some bigger stopping power since you have the bigger motor and will be seeing higher speeds than a normal Zhp.

Just know if you get the z06 kit from rally road they take fricking FOREVER to turn around orders.

Good Luck!

GoingHAM mobile
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    since the LS3 engine is around the same weight as the M54B30 (415lbs for the LS3, 375lbs for the M54B30 - that's taken from the internet, so take it with a grain of salt ), and the mass is centered further back than the M54B30 (V8 vs I6), weight distribution is probably about the same. so you should be considering upgrading the rears as well - what are you ideas for that? because, really, in that light - the 135i brembo setup, front and rear, seems like the best option for cost/performance balance, and you've got more options for rotors.
    The 135i brakes are a garbage option for track usage. Melting piston boots and cracking piston caps make the headache even worse. On top of that, you don't get enough extra pedal feel to make it worthwhile spending that kind of coin.

What I'd do is get a nice inexpensive Wilwood setup. The calipers are cheap (I just replaced one for $180 including overnight shipping), and they offer excellent pedal feel. Combined with the pads I have (PFC01 front, Hawk DTC-something [forgot the number]) rear, I also have excellent pedal modulation, no brake fade, and can use stock E46 M3 rotors, which fit. Some very minor modifications to the dust shields are involved, but the setup works very well and is far cheaper than most of the BBK's I see for sale.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

ahh, i had forgotten about the issues with the 135i fronts. that won't work.

wilwood is a good idea - BP, where did you get your kit from?

front and rear brembo-based kits - like the stoptech kit, are going to be expensive. like $4-5K for the entire setup.

you can source front and rear 996 or 986 boxster s calipers, front and rear, for decent prices. then design a bracket that works around either the stock rotors or the E46 M3 rotors. then you've got lots of pad choices, and a full kit for $1600 + machining costs for the brackets (if you know a guy, you can get this done cheaply - i designed a set of brackets for a previous car to use with 986 boxster S front calipers).
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

wilwood is a good idea - BP, where did you get your kit from?
    I bought my front and rear set used from someone on E46 Fanatics, but it's similar to the kit that UUC sells. Same calipers. Perhaps contacting them could get you their custom brackets, which would put you in business.

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I bought my front and rear set used from someone on E46 Fanatics, but it's similar to the kit that UUC sells. Same calipers. Perhaps contacting them could get you their custom brackets, which would put you in business.

no need... for $2100, that's a great deal for a complete front and rear setup! it uses M3 rotor sizes too, so the rears are bigger than the standard 330 rotors.

peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

no need... for $2100, that's a great deal for a complete front and rear setup! it uses M3 rotor sizes too, so the rears are bigger than the standard 330 rotors.

It's a great price for new stuff, for sure. I got lucky and purchased the entire setup for $1400! I paid an additional $250 or so for the track pads front and rear.

I'm sure the setup can be had for less than UUC's kit if you want to save a few bucks. Sourcing brackets may be the only challenging bit...

BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    It's a great price for new stuff, for sure. I got lucky and purchased the entire setup for $1400! I paid an additional $250 or so for the track pads front and rear.

I'm sure the setup can be had for less than UUC's kit if you want to save a few bucks. Sourcing brackets may be the only challenging bit...

the UUC kit doesn't come with brackets?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast