Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Based on my experience with starter failure/replacement in the X3, it will be intermittent before completely failing.

My ZHP’s starter is in the intermittent phase, but I have a new one on the shelf for whenever I feel like doing it. About 1 in 5 times it will spin up, but not engage. I then take the key out, put it back in, and it starts on attempt #2 every single time. Thus, I think my solenoid is not pushing the starter motor wheel thing (yes that’s the proper term) onto the crank, so it’s just free-spinning in place. I probably am not typing that coherently, but it makes sense to me
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    Based on my experience with starter failure/replacement in the X3, it will be intermittent before completely failing.

My ZHP’s starter is in the intermittent phase, but I have a new one on the shelf for whenever I feel like doing it. About 1 in 5 times it will spin up, but not engage. I then take the key out, put it back in, and it starts on attempt #2 every single time. Thus, I think my solenoid is not pushing the starter motor wheel thing (yes that’s the proper term) onto the crank, so it’s just free-spinning in place. I probably am not typing that coherently, but it makes sense to me
    You got it right bruh. Starters sometimes fail with the solenoid sticking and not pushing the starter gear out to the crank, but most of the time it's the worn brushes finding a dead spot in the motor. People always think I'm trying to trick them when I tell them to hit the starter with a hammer. It's a redneck way to shift the position of the brushes or loosen up a stuck solenoid until you can get the starter replaced. Unfortunately it takes two people to start the car this way and no one wants to be the hammer man.

http://parksidemotors.ca/how-does-a-...fix-a-starter/

Oh man. I am not looking forward to replacing the starter.
    Can you actually hear the starter just free spinning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    You got it right bruh. Starters sometimes fail with the solenoid sticking and not pushing the starter gear out to the crank, but most of the time it's the worn brushes finding a dead spot in the motor. People always think I'm trying to trick them when I tell them to hit the starter with a hammer.
    Given the manifold location, can you even get to it with a hammer? That bish’ is totally obscured on these engines.

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Oh man. I am not looking forward to replacing the starter.
    Can you actually hear the starter just free spinning?
    Yep, it’s an interesting sound lol. I just put a clip up in Flickr (sorry, I don’t have a YouTube account).

https://www.flickr.com/gp/153940533@N04/87M28L

The starter won’t be fun, but it’s a good time to replace the manifold and throttle body gaskets if they’ve never been done before. You’ll need E12 torx (99% sure) for the two starter bolts, and hopefully the alignment pin releases easier than it did for me (yes, I had the starter loose in my hands but didn’t replace it because it wasn’t acting up when I did the clutch).
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

You got it right bruh. Starters sometimes fail with the solenoid sticking and not pushing the starter gear out to the crank, but most of the time it's the worn brushes finding a dead spot in the motor. People always think I'm trying to trick them when I tell them to hit the starter with a hammer. It's a redneck way to shift the position of the brushes or loosen up a stuck solenoid until you can get the starter replaced. Unfortunately it takes two people to start the car this way and no one wants to be the hammer man.

http://parksidemotors.ca/how-does-a-...fix-a-starter/
    Yup, heard of the hammer trick but was sure if there was enough space on the e46. Learnt it from a bus driver from back home about 15 years ago. Unfortunately that didn’t help him back then and I had to walk home...

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Given the manifold location, can you even get to it with a hammer? That bish’ is totally obscured on these engines.

Yep, it’s an interesting sound lol. I just put a clip up in Flickr (sorry, I don’t have a YouTube account).

https://www.flickr.com/gp/153940533@N04/87M28L

The starter won’t be fun, but it’s a good time to replace the manifold and throttle body gaskets if they’ve never been done before. You’ll need E12 torx (99% sure) for the two starter bolts, and hopefully the alignment pin releases easier than it did for me (yes, I had the starter loose in my hands but didn’t replace it because it wasn’t acting up when I did the clutch).
    Hmm, my car made no such noises yesterday. It was complete silence. I turned the key expecting the car to crank but all I got was complete silence.

Hmm, my car made no such noises yesterday. It was complete silence. I turned the key expecting the car to crank but all I got was complete silence.

Sounds like Spenser has a sticking solenoid and you have a dead spot in the electric motor.

Everyone gets a starter!

Sounds like Spenser has a sticking solenoid and you have a dead spot in the electric motor.

Everyone gets a starter!
    So you are telling me the car might not start in the evening when I try to get home. Shit.

While talking to a friend about my zhp’s occasional no crank issue, he mentioned that I should be looking at the battery voltage during cranking and not just before starting and after starting. I check yesterday and the battery voltage while cranking was high 10s and low 11s.

Does anyone know what the ideal voltage during cranking is? Can it be causing the no crank problems?

While talking to a friend about my zhp’s occasional no crank issue, he mentioned that I should be looking at the battery voltage during cranking and not just before starting and after starting. I check yesterday and the battery voltage while cranking was high 10s and low 11s.

Does anyone know what the ideal voltage during cranking is? Can it be causing the no crank problems?

That is very close to normal and is expected with an older battery.

Do you know how old the battery is?

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast