Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    That is very close to normal and is expected with an older battery.

Do you know how old the battery is?
    4 years old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

interesting "No Crank" video just released 2 days ago by 50sKid. Walks through the entire system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1T7u70rog0&t=1093s
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    interesting "No Crank" video just released 2 days ago by 50sKid. Walks through the entire system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1T7u70rog0&t=1093s
    Yup, i was planning on watching it. Thanks for link

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    4 years old

4 years is about right to when the battery from Autozone or similar auto stores decides to die. Seems like most of their batteries die as soon as the warranty expires.

If it is an option, those auto stores do a free battery test. Might be worth having the current battery tested to see what condition it is.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    4 years is about right to when the battery from Autozone or similar auto stores decides to die. Seems like most of their batteries die as soon as the warranty expires.

If it is an option, those auto stores do a free battery test. Might be worth having the current battery tested to see what condition it is.
    That’s a good idea Vas.
    I’m fairly certain the no crank issue is due to the starter motor but my friend got me thinking about the battery again, which I kinda ruled out earlier. Doesn’t hurt to check I guess.

The zhp didn’t crank again just now. I checked the battery voltage and it’s 12.1V on the instrument cluster, which seems low. This is the 3rd time the car didn’t crank. The similarity between all 3 instances is that the car ran only for a few min before shutting off. I’m leaning more towards the battery now than the starter motor being the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have not updated this thread in a while. Not a lot happened but a few parts have been replaced as they failed.

July 2018 - 165526 miles - Replaced Starter Motor

Got the starter motor replaced at a shop close to home as it failed. It started with occasional "No Crank" but after 2 weeks or so after it started acting up, it seemed to have failed completely. Since I don't have garage now and apartment complex is not DIY friendly, had to give it to a shop. The shop said I cannot supply them the parts and they wouldn't tell me which brand of starter they would install as well, but their price was at least $200 cheaper than the few other shops I asked and even they said I cannot supply the parts. Oh Well, at least their works comes with 2year/20000mile warranty FWIW. But the day after I got the car back from them, I got an SES light, along with the trip meter resetting after each key cycle, which I found was cause of blown fuse. I was sure it was vacuum leak and the shop said they did not remove the intake manifold so I removed the intake boots and installed them again without going back to the shop. Since I don't have a BMW scan tool, I went to autozone and asked them to scan it and they came up with a lean burn on bank 2 and p1515. I was sure I fixed the lean burn issue when I reinstalled the boots and for p1515 I had to reset the throttle adaptations. The light has not come back since and it have driven about 5000 miles since then. The shop did say I had a leaky thermostat and water pump. More on than below.
    Last edited by san; 09-30-2018 at 04:38 PM.

August 2018 - 166432 miles - Replaced Thermostat 11537509227 (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-11537509227oe) and washer (11537509357)

The shop where the zhp was getting its starter replaced told me I was having a leaking thermostat and water pump. Just for giggles I asked them how much it would cost to replace them both and they quoted me ~$750 for both . I told them not to replace it but I did not dismiss the possibility of a leaky thermostat and water pump as I had noticed that my coolant was running a little low. So after I got the car back I checked and only the thermostat was leaking. So ordered a thermostat and a gasket without knowing the thermostat came with one. I will return it along with an oil change kit and coolant to FCPEuro. After replacing the thermostat I kept an eye on the coolant level and so far the coolant level has been fine. I was able to replace this in my carport as it only took an hour. Anything longer, then I might get a notice from the management.
    Last edited by san; 09-30-2018 at 04:38 PM.

September 27, 2018 - 170156 miles - Replaced the windshield washer fluid pump 67128362154 (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...mp-67128362154)

This has been leaking and non functional for about an year. Was just lazy I guess.

06 BSM-NB Coupe Maintenance/Project Thread

September 30, 2018 - 170289 miles - Rotated wheels/tires

the last time the tires were rotated was back at the 2017 mafia reunion (156558 miles). The wear seems to be pretty even but I did notice that one of the wheels had a nail but seems to be an extremely slow leak. It was in the middle of the tire, so I think it should be patched up quite easily. I installed the ARC8/PSS back at 144122 miles and they weren't new back then. I bought them from Daniel (NoVaPhotog) and I think he had driven them a few thousand miles and also a track day. Even without considering Daniel's miles, the tire have about 26k miles on them ans they seem like they have another 10k miles to go before I need to replace them. If that turns out to be accurate then I'll get about 35k miles from them which I over what I thought I could get from them. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway since I took the car out of storage back in April, I put on about 12k miles which is a little less than what I expected. It will likely go back to storage during thanksgiving. Also on another note, I think my oil pan gasket is hemorrhaging oil because I am having to top up half a quart every 500 miles. Not sure when I will get to it. Not having a garage sucks

I also want to check the condition of the rear shocks as the ride quality has gotten a little worse. I have Koni Yellows and they were installed about 3 years and 62k miles ago. Maybe it's time in terms of mileage? Guess I will find out soon...

Also in the parts cabinet are rear upper and lower control arm bushings and engine mounts, which have been sitting there for more than a year. One of these days......
    Last edited by san; 09-30-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast