Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

06 BSM-NB Coupe Maintenance/Project Thread

San, if you can wait I’d be curious to see how Nate’s test goes.

I run StopTech rotors (slotted fronts, blanks in the back are branded Centric but made by StopTech). I read mixed reviews about the Zimmerman’s but I always take armchair internet reviews with a grain of salt.

As far as pads go, I know there’s conflicting opinions on the EBC Yellows but I’ve had good success with them (even ran them on my stock calipers the other week). Of course the best thing is to have two sets of pads, but the Yellows are the closest I’ve found to a good dual purpose pad, especially to really learn on then you can decide if two pads are what you want to do. I got my set for the stock brakes on Amazon for $100 a few weeks ago.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
    my heavyweight beast 745i ran on Akebono ceramics for most of the 200K miles I put on it, and I love em. They last forever..... and I never noticed any difference in breaking or pedal feel. I immediately put them on my ZHP when I got it with the same experience, and now my E92 is getting them very soon (since I'm not washing these wheels every weekend).

Can't speak for cars that see the track....
    If I didn’t have any intentions of tracking I would’ve just bought OEM replacements. I’ve driven a couple of zhp’s with aftermarket brakes but none of them had the initial bite the OEM brakes provide and I personally don’t mind the brake dust. I’m aware that the options I listed won’t provide the initial bite that I am used to but I guess it’s a trade off I’m willing to make...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    My usage and goals are the same as yours and I have Zimmerman drilled rotors and PFC z rated pads ready to go on with endless rf650 fluid. I can let you know how it holds up on the track in like a month, but I did a ton of research and I'm pretty excited for the combo. I did one track night in America on OE fluid and akenbono pads and it was scary how quickly they faded and never recovered. I don't ever want to feel that again: like I need to start braking during the straight because I don't know if I'll have brakes for the turn.

I got stainless lines just because my OE lines were cracked, but I kind of wish I had just gotten a fresh set of OE. There's really no performance or durability advantage with the braided steel being on the outside or under a thick rubber casing. If anything the rubber does a better job of protecting them from abrasion.
    My research wasn’t very extensive to be honest. initially I thought I would get upgraded calipers (wilwoods probably) but I realized that spec e46 folks use stock calipers and I thought that should be good enough for me, initially at least. I do realize that the spec e46 cars are probably 500 pounds lighter but at the same time I won’t be driving as hard as them. Looking forward to your review!

I thought stainless steel lines are better if the car does HPDE events but good to know, I’ll probably get OEM replacements...

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by 704sw View Post
    San, if you can wait I’d be curious to see how Nate’s test goes.

I run StopTech rotors (slotted fronts, blanks in the back are branded Centric but made by StopTech). I read mixed reviews about the Zimmerman’s but I always take armchair internet reviews with a grain of salt.

As far as pads go, I know there’s conflicting opinions on the EBC Yellows but I’ve had good success with them (even ran them on my stock calipers the other week). Of course the best thing is to have two sets of pads, but the Yellows are the closest I’ve found to a good dual purpose pad, especially to really learn on then you can decide if two pads are what you want to do. I got my set for the stock brakes on Amazon for $100 a few weeks ago.
    I think I can probably wait but I’ll just visually inspect the brakes this weekend to make sure they are not completely shot.

I’m fairly certain blank rotors are good enough for my purpose but I just like the looks of the drillled rotors. Ideally as you said a separate set of brake pads would be ideal but it’s such a pain to swap the pads on stock calipers and without having a garage, I don’t really like to keep a pile of parts lying around in the house. I am honestly not sure how much I’d be tracking. Im just trying to future proof the car in case I participate at a few events per year and I definitely want the set up to be street oriented which can handle a track day or two.

Could you post a link to the pads on amazon? I’ll most likely wait for Nate’s review but if the price is good then I may pull the trigger based on your positive experience...

Last edited by san; 04-12-2019 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Drilled rotors not slotted

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    I think I can probably wait but I’ll just visually inspect the brakes this weekend to make sure they are not completely shot.

I’m fairly certain blank rotors are good enough for my purpose but I just like the looks of the drillled rotors. Ideally as you said a separate set of brake pads would be ideal but it’s such a pain to swap the pads on stock calipers and without having a garage, I don’t really like to keep a pile of parts lying around in the house. I am honestly not sure how much I’d be tracking. Im just trying to future proof the car in case I participate at a few events per year and I definitely want the set up to be street oriented which can handle a track day or two.

Could you post a link to the pads on amazon? I’ll most likely wait for Nate’s review but if the price is good then I may pull the trigger based on your positive experience...

I like the look of drilled too, I just went with the StopTech slotted fronts because I got a great price on them from Amazon (good enough price to justify not going through FCP). The blanks in the back were only bought as an experiment when assembling the 135i conversion. I’ll add slotted there someday to to complete the look lol.

Here’s the EBC Yellows for the front (DP41552R). Actually down to $90 right now:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C8WP8E..._AQjSCb2KK9WXC

The rear pad part number is DP41118R.
    Emma - 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP 6MT Estorilblau Individual

Sportline 8s 18x8.5F - 18x9.5R | APEX ARC-8 18x8.5 Square | aFe Intake | 135i Brembo F/R Calipers | 26mm Front/20mm Rear Sway Bars | Z4 Mirror
    M3 Dead Pedal | Lexus ES300 Yellow Fog Light Retrofit | Koni Yellows/H&R Springs | Llumar CTX 40% | Coby Tri-Stitch Wheel & Boots

Awaiting Install: M3 Wing Mirrors

I think you're right, running the car with the fuel stabilizer is probably a good idea before storage. I've done in twice for my car, filling the car with gas, arriving where I was going to store it, stopping the car, adding the stabilizer, and running the car for 5-10 minutes. My car never had an issue starting up when coming out of storage.

I look forward to seeing what brake set up you end up with. I'm in no rush to replace my brakes (only like 15k on them), but it's always nice to see what people who have similar goals end up with.

Ordered the following brake parts recently -

• Jurid Front and Rear Brake Pads
    • Zimmerman Drilled Rotors
    • Front and rear pad wear sensor
    • ATE anti squeal paste
    • BMW Brake disc ser screw - 34211161806
    • DOT 4 Brake Fluid (12 fl oz) - Genuine BMW 81220142156

I wanted to have a brake set up that were street oriented but that can be good enough for a track day or two. I couldn't decide on which brake pads to buy so I settled on Jurid because a) they were cheap stop gap until I can make up my mind b) they are OE for rear brake pads and I have always been happy with my OE brake set up till now.

Shout out to Spenser and Nate for their help!

My wife and I went to NJ for the weekend and on our way back, when I stopped for fuel in Ohio, I noticed that my front driver's side tire has been worn down to the threads at the edge. So I ordered these - 245/40-17 today and I hope they will be here on Wednesday -

Name:  Firestone_Indy500.PNG
Views: 963
Size:  228.7 KB

The tires I have currently are Michelin PSS that I bought from Daniel (NovaPhotog) along with Apex Arc8. I got about 35k miles from them in addition to the few thousand miles Dan had already put on them along with a track day or two. I am happy with how they lasted and how they performed and did think about get the PS4S but the price of these Indy 500s were too good for me to resist and a friend of mine who also owns a zhp has only good things to say about them.

Today marks 5 years to the day I bought the zhp. A quick calculation showed I have driven approximately 93200 miles during my ownership, almost matching what the car had when I bought it.

Congrats. I’m sure there are plenty of more miles in your future.
    2005 IR / black / 6MT
    157,000 miles

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast