Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New to the forum with my 2nd ZHP from MS

Although I have posted a few times already, it was time to make my introduction thread. I am already going to warn you...if you don't like reading long, drawn out stories, then you probably might want to skip on ahead...but I feel some back story is necessary to how I got here, and to owning my second ZHP.

The first ZHP was an '05 330i sedan that I purchased new in March 2005. Imola Red with Cloth/Alcantara interior. 6 speed manual. Only options were, of course, the Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, and Xenons. I believe BMW made the moonroof standard on the 330i in 2005. At the time, BMW had some 'trunk money' incentives to move the last of the E46 330i models out of inventory to make room for the incoming E90 sedan. My car was built 12/2004 as an unsold dealer inventory order to a dealership in FL. I told my BMW rep what I was looking for, and this one was the only one he could find anywhere that was Imola Red with Alcantara and a 6sp manual. None in any dealer's inventory, and supposedly the last one on their production search list. So I don't want to go on record as saying I owned one of the last unsold ZHP sedans built in that configuration, but by the time I was searching E46 sedan production had already ended...and this was all that was left. My dealer did a swap with the FL dealer, and the car was loaded on a ship and sent my way.

I only owned it for a year and a half, and some financial changes made me decide it was best to let it go. A lawyer in ATL bought it, and I hope he is still enjoying it today...

But I surely did miss it...it was one of the few BMW's I've owned that I regret selling in the end. It's right up there with my '00 E39 M5, '07 X5 4.8i sport, and both of my E30 M3's.

So fast forward to the end of January, and my former '01 325i that I sold to my sister-in-law had decided it's automatic transmission was too tired to continue. As a reward for helping my sister-in-law find a new car, negotiate the deal and drive her on a 6 hr round trip to pick it up, my father-in-law told me that I could take the E46 and do with it as I please. As I was doing online parts research for the repair of that car, I started doing some searches for ZHP's for the heck of it. Well, this '04 330i popped up at a low price...and it was only 120 miles away at a Lincoln/Ford dealership.

To make this as short as I can, basically the dealer didn't realize what they had...and neither did they care. It had been traded in recently, and they had fixed a few things but it had a check engine light they couldn't get to clear. The front bumper had taken a few hits and was in rough shape, all the wheels had some curb rash and there was your typical exterior and interior issues...but it was really very solid and the all original paint was in just excellent condition. They were about to take it to the auction, so I lowballed them...and they took it.

So here is my '04 330i ZHP with 128k miles,Titanium Silver, automatic, xenons, heated seats, silver cube trim, and gray leather. Clear title, no accidents 2-owner car that has been in the same family since purchased new. All service records since new, with over $5k worth of receipts in the past two years. They had given the previous owner $4000 as a trade in. I paid $3500.

The original bumper is in rough shape, and although I thought we could repair it unfortunately the molded in side rails are too damaged...so I purchased a new bumper along with a new drivers side headlight trim piece and new 'porkchop' fenderliners for both sides. The rear bumper will also be repainted due to a few scuffs and scratches. These are all awaiting paint and will then be installed.

But don't think I have been just focusing on cosmetics...quite to the contrary. Since my purchase about three weeks ago, here is what has been replaced, and all of the work has been done by me and a good friend that knows BMW's very well:

(Previous owner had new belts, radiator, OFHG, and expansion tank installed within the last 2 years)
    All coolant hoses, including the hard lines under the intake manifold as one was broken and had a poor 'patch' repair
    New water pump
    New fan clutch
    New CCV with all associated hoses
    New intake manifold and throttle body gaskets
    New starter
    New power steering hoses
    New DISA o-ring
    Cleaned ICV and throttle body
    New motor mounts
    New steering coupler
    New windshield washer pump
    New outside ambient temp sensor
    New armrest cover
    TRS E46 projector retrofit (burned ZKW bowls)
    Repaired oxidized headlight lenses using Meguiar's Perfect Clarity kit
    New hood kidney grills

The following items I have awaiting install:

Front and rear Bilstein Touring B4 struts/shocks
    New upper strut mounts
    New rear shock mounts
    New RTAB's
    New sway bar links
    New tie rods
    (Control arms and bushings were replaced by the previous owner 9000 miles ago)
    New front rotors and pads
    New sunroof shade clips
    New headliner material
    New volume knob repair kit

Car is running excellent and brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it. This is my 16th BMW and my 5th E46...I did my best to get out of the BMW addiction after I got married and had a couple of kids, and I was successful for about four years. But this car has fully pulled me right back into the BMW abyss....and I am enjoying every minute of it.

So if you made it this far, then I apologize for the lengthy post! But I had to share my excitement of this car and being a BMW owner once again.
    Last edited by egiles14; 02-16-2016 at 02:49 PM.
    Eric Giles
    '05 330i ZHP Imola Red/Gray Leather 6sp swap
    '05 330i ZHP Titanium Silver/Black Leather
    '87 325is Delphin Gray/Black Leather 5sp plastic bumper swap

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Welcome, Eric ! Great intro. Too bad I can't see the pics, must be the firewall at work.

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Welcome, Eric ! Great intro. Too bad I can't see the pics, must be the firewall at work.
    Thank you! I had a heck of a time trying to imbed these photos, which are stored at my Google Photos account. If others are having issues let me know and I will host them at a different site.

Ok, changed the hosting site for the pictures-they should load properly.
    Eric Giles
    '05 330i ZHP Imola Red/Gray Leather 6sp swap
    '05 330i ZHP Titanium Silver/Black Leather
    '87 325is Delphin Gray/Black Leather 5sp plastic bumper swap

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

I can see the pics now ! Man, that's a beauty.

Welcome, very entertaining read! That's a great price for the car! I'm also envious of your BMW ownership history (two E30 M3s and an E39 M5!).

Welcome! Great story and an INCREDIBLE buy!

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Welcome

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Welcome! Quite a story. Great to hear that car went to a good home!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing.

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

Great post!

2004 ZHP Acquired: February 5, 2017
    Lorenzo's Project Thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast