Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fuel won't stop coming out of blue fuel line during fuel filter change

I'm in the middle of changing my fuel filter and when I removed the blue line, gas came out. Nothing I didn't expect. But then it kept coming... and coming... I had to close the line with a c-clamp to stop it from flowing out. As you can see in the bucket there is a lot of gas that came out. I removed the fuse to the fuel pump so it's not like its pumping gas into the lines. Is this normal? Do I let it keep draining? I can't even imagine why this is happening.

Name:  image1 (1).JPG
Views: 1413
Size:  939.0 KBName:  image2.JPG
Views: 866
Size:  621.1 KB
    2004 Silver Grey ZHP Sedan 6 Speed Manual
    CDV Delete, AUX Input, Clear TMS Lights, Stealth Bulbs, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, Black Grille,
    aFe Stage 1 CAI Pro 5r, Dinan Front Strut Brace, CF Splitters, Active Autowerke Headers

Gravity? I think this is normal. You just have to swap in the new filter in an expeditious manner. You will eat fuel.

Sent from an S6 Edge
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

did you pull the fuel pump fuse while running prior to removing the fuel filter? you need to do this, otherwise... well, you know the otherwise right now.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

I had the same experience when I changed my fuel filter. I pulled the fuse beforehand but gas just kept pouring out. I just swapped the filter as quickly as I could and transferred the excess gasoline to a gas can.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    I had the same experience when I changed my fuel filter. I pulled the fuse beforehand but gas just kept pouring out. I just swapped the filter as quickly as I could and transferred the excess gasoline to a gas can.
    Yep.

Sent from an S6 Edge
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Ah gravity makes sense. I initially thought something was wrong because in a video I saw about replacing the fuel filter there was no fuel coming out of theirs. Glad that's over, I reek of gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    did you pull the fuel pump fuse while running prior to removing the fuel filter? you need to do this, otherwise... well, you know the otherwise right now.
    I in fact did do that, I think it's just gravity as Dane said.
    CDV Delete, AUX Input, Clear TMS Lights, Stealth Bulbs, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, Black Grille,
    aFe Stage 1 CAI Pro 5r, Dinan Front Strut Brace, CF Splitters, Active Autowerke Headers

Fuel won't stop coming out of blue fuel line during fuel filter change

Wear eye protection.

I've never had that much. Pull fuse and run til stall?

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

Yup, pull fuse, "run" it, then do the work, but there will still be spillage.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Yes I did exactly that before I started working. I already installed the new one but I was just caught off guard when it didn't stop coming out. It also wasn't coming out fast or anything I just let it flow for more than I should have.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZHP View Post
    ...I just let it flow for more than I should have.
    Yes! ;-)

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast