Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Difficulty engaging 1st and reverse fixed

Just thought I'd let you all know (you probably already do) about my experience trying to fix a stubborn transmission. In general, my 97k mile ZHP 6-speed shifts beautifully. The one exception: shifting into 1st or reverse when not moving. It was very difficult at times and required multiple attempts and occasionally a throttle blip. It was worse when the weather was cold. The fluid and transmission mounts were original. So yesterday I replaced the stock fluid with Redline MTL and the stock bushings with UUC blacks. This morning - no trouble at all shifting into either gear from a standstill. It made a discernible and welcome difference. I think the fluid was 90% of the improvement since the stock mounts were not in bad shape.

So anyways, for what it's worth, if your transmission is giving you headaches, start by flushing it with a high-quality fluid, and check your mounts for excessive flex.

Finally, just for point of reference, even though the stock tranny mounts were in decent shape after 97k miles, the engine mounts were not... at all! The passenger mount had collapsed into itself. The driver's mount had shortened about ¼ to ½ inch, though it hadn't yet collapsed. Clearly these should be treated like wear items and should be replaced before 100k miles.

Blake - 2005 330i ZHP 6-sp

Yup. On both cars in my fleet, 100k was when i replaced the engine and trans mounts with M3 units.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Need to do this on my ZHP, it's getting increasingly difficult to engage first and reverse from time to time.

04' Sapphire Black 330ci ZHP 6MT | Hyper Silver ARC-8s | Vibrant Performance Exhaust w/ Straight Pipes (both resonators removed) | 3.46 Diff | AKG Polyurethane Diff Bushings | Coby Wheel - Shift Boot - E-Brake Boot - E-Brake Handle - Alcantara Door Pads | Koni FSD's w/ Eibach Springs | CDV Delete w/ Steel Braided Clutch Line | Michelin PSS
    Luca

FYI, a decent fluid transfer pump from Harbor Freight makes this job go much easier - ideally one with a hose on both the intake and output side (rather than one that tries to fit within the bottle. Also, trans mounts were really easy to do - took maybe 20 mins total. I did have the exhaust off at the time which made it easy to get wrenches and sockets in and out.

Blake - 2005 330i ZHP 6-sp

Difficulty engaging 1st and reverse fixed

I have the same issue and I hoped changing the fluid would help, but it didn't... I plan to replace the tranny mounts once the weather gets a little better and will report back if that helps... Thanks for posting

Edit: oh and I'm envious about your corsa exhaust I've been looking for one since I got to sit in BP's car during last year's reunion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

Quote Originally Posted by AggieBlake View Post
    FYI, a decent fluid transfer pump from Harbor Freight makes this job go much easier - ideally one with a hose on both the intake and output side (rather than one that tries to fit within the bottle. Also, trans mounts were really easy to do - took maybe 20 mins total. I did have the exhaust off at the time which made it easy to get wrenches and sockets in and out.
    yep, it's a LOT easier with the exhaust off.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Mine does it--mostly 1st. I do a 2,1 shift and it helps. Need to do my tranny mounts...

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ELCID86 View Post
    Mine does it--mostly 1st. I do a 2,1 shift and it helps. Need to do my tranny mounts...

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - an e46fanatic
    Me too I think. What does that typically cost at an indy mechanic? I've got one a love and this is just out of my skillset.
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

Quote Originally Posted by quikryptonite View Post
    Me too I think. What does that typically cost at an indy mechanic? I've got one a love and this is just out of my skillset.
    Just tranny shouldn't be more than one hour labor. From what vas said its not a bad diy. Just a pita to access the nuts on top I think.

---

Replacing trans mounts is very simple. Not a bad diy

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast