Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
    The new hood is "on". I was not too happy about the whole situation of obtaining and mounting the hood. The guy said it would be off the car and ready to be installed when I showed up. I got there late and the hood was still on the car, and I noticed a "tech" reaching through the grills and fiddling around with a very small wrench.

Comes to find out, the guy had sold the section of the hood opening mechanism that includes the pull handle in the car... and since the hood was closed and latched, there was no way to open except to remove the two locking spring clips...

They attempted to do this with a small wrench and had successfully removed two of the four T30 bolts. The other two ended up stripped. The guy I bought it from was like, well we will get it off tomorrow, which was not a possibility because I was already supposed to be on the road to Santa Barbara and I have my DMV appointment on Monday. What ended up happening is I went to Home Depot and bought a saws all and cut the hood free. You will see next to the left driver side grill where my frustration and impatience led to the front of the hood getting damaged.

We ended up getting the hinges on and the hood closed and opened freely and locked as it should. It was already really late so nothing else was attached and the hood was not properly aligned. I ended up giving the guy less than his asking price and after some talking, we smoothed things over a bit.

All in all for the price I paid, I am happy with the pick up. Under 200 dollars, and besides the saws all damage, there is only one other significant chip. I'll be spending today and tomorrow getting the fit right and will hook up the windshield washer nozzles.

Name:  Hood 1.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  262.3 KBName:  Hood 2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  334.5 KBName:  Grillz.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  348.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by fredo View Post
    Cool. Any plans to paint the new hood ?
    Well Fredo this is a question I am asking myself. If I had bought gloss black grills, I would be fine leaving the hood black until I am able to have a full paint correction done on the car. However, gloss black hood with matte grills is not the greatest. the question is should I:

1.) wrap the hood matte black to match the grills and the trim I have resprayed matte

2.) paint the hood to match the car

I am currently leaning towards option 1 because of the following. Wrapping would be cheaper and since the climate is not harsh, the wrap should last a long time. Also, if I painted the hood now, it would only be the hood and it may not match the car perfectly, and may have to be touched up or repainted in a year when I have the car paint corrected. Also, the holiday season is upon us and I will be flying back east for vacation. I would much rather have some money to spend around the holiday season and vacation, then to sink more money into the car. For now, My OCD about appearance has been shelved and if something does not directly effect the performance of the vehicle, it is going to the back burner for near future.

Anyways, that is how I feel but I am open to input from others. I have never had a wrap before and know nothing about cleaning or maintaining them, there life expectancy, etc. I will get quotes for both paint and wrap and see how the numbers compare. If anyone cares to comment, I am receptive. Let me know!

It looks good

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I'd say do it right and paint it body color.
    You came this far to rebuild the car - doing it any other way is just doing half the job, IMO.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I'd say do it right and paint it body color.
    You came this far to rebuild the car - doing it any other way is just doing half the job, IMO.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Well, I may end going the route of painting. I have an abrasive blast room at work so I can prep the hood for paint and minimize cost.

After calling around to a handful of places for a quote on wrapping the hood, the average is ~$250! I was expecting a wrap to be way less. I do kind of like a black hood on a silver car, but part of that is because it is new and unique, and I have a feeling that will fade over time.

Quote Originally Posted by GotZHP View Post
    Well, I may end going the route of painting. I have an abrasive blast room at work so I can prep the hood for paint and minimize cost.

After calling around to a handful of places for a quote on wrapping the hood, the average is ~$250! I was expecting a wrap to be way less. I do kind of like a black hood on a silver car, but part of that is because it is new and unique, and I have a feeling that will fade over time.

I'm really diggin' the black hood too, but it's a BMW. It calls for a little more ... refinement.
    To pull off a black hood, you have to be prepared to go with the "tuner car" look, which would involve a lot more mods to make it look 'right'.

As far as wraps go - they are actually very expensive when you consider the reason why some people get wraps. A lot of the time, people get a wrap because they want the ability to change the color, or do it as a "try before you buy" sort of thing. To wrap a whole car, you're looking at well over a grand, probably a lot more. A hood is a large object too, so it is very time consuming to get something like that right, hence the high cost.

Since you are able to do the prep work yourself, that will save the vast majority of the paint costs right there. Prep is 90% of the job, after all.

Looking at the black hood is growing on me by the second, though.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    I'm really diggin' the black hood too, but it's a BMW. It calls for a little more ... refinement.
    To pull off a black hood, you have to be prepared to go with the "tuner car" look, which would involve a lot more mods to make it look 'right'.

As far as wraps go - they are actually very expensive when you consider the reason why some people get wraps. A lot of the time, people get a wrap because they want the ability to change the color, or do it as a "try before you buy" sort of thing. To wrap a whole car, you're looking at well over a grand, probably a lot more. A hood is a large object too, so it is very time consuming to get something like that right, hence the high cost.

Since you are able to do the prep work yourself, that will save the vast majority of the paint costs right there. Prep is 90% of the job, after all.

Looking at the black hood is growing on me by the second, though.
    I agree that I would have to do a lot more and I am not at that point to go all out Tuner with the car. I did figure out how to get a matte black hood to go well with the car though, but it would involve wrapping several parts or spraying them matte. To make a matte hood at home I would have to spray all the plastic trim pieces around the bumpers and doors. I would also need to Matte the fog light trim pieces, the pieces the mirrors mount to, and the trim pieces around the windows. Would be a lot of work but I feel that would make the car look pretty cool If all the black went matte, interior gets all new alcantara vs leather to continue the gloss free look, then it got some big shiny rims

Some day...

In the mean time, the hood did not clean up as nice as I thought it would. I will get it painted and will do the prep work myself. I do need to write some training documents on how to use the abrasive blasting room, grit elevator & bag house systems, and how to properly don all the PPE before using the equipment. Best way to write training documents is to go do the work yourself. The hood will remain black through the holiday season and I'll have it painted before going into next summer.

The new hood is "on". I was not too happy about the whole situation of obtaining and mounting the hood. The guy said it would be off the car and ready to be installed when I showed up. I got there late and the hood was still on the car, and I noticed a "tech" reaching through the grills and fiddling around with a very small wrench.

Comes to find out, the guy had sold the section of the hood opening mechanism that includes the pull handle in the car... and since the hood was closed and latched, there was no way to open except to remove the two locking spring clips...

They attempted to do this with a small wrench and had successfully removed two of the four T30 bolts. The other two ended up stripped. The guy I bought it from was like, well we will get it off tomorrow, which was not a possibility because I was already supposed to be on the road to Santa Barbara and I have my DMV appointment on Monday. What ended up happening is I went to Home Depot and bought a saws all and cut the hood free. You will see next to the left driver side grill where my frustration and impatience led to the front of the hood getting damaged.

We ended up getting the hinges on and the hood closed and opened freely and locked as it should. It was already really late so nothing else was attached and the hood was not properly aligned. I ended up giving the guy less than his asking price and after some talking, we smoothed things over a bit.

All in all for the price I paid, I am happy with the pick up. Under 200 dollars, and besides the saws all damage, there is only one other significant chip. I'll be spending today and tomorrow getting the fit right and will hook up the windshield washer nozzles.
    lol Damn that sucks. You know you could still open the hood though as long as you have the cable right? Because that shit happened to me once. The hood latch handle broke. So I take the cover off to get to the wire that the latch pulls onto. Then just took the glow in the dark safety handle from the trunk and snap the hood wire onto it and pulled like hell. It opens the hood. Breaks the trunk handle thing, but it doesn't cost too much to replace.

Well Fredo this is a question I am asking myself. If I had bought gloss black grills, I would be fine leaving the hood black until I am able to have a full paint correction done on the car. However, gloss black hood with matte grills is not the greatest. the question is should I:

1.) wrap the hood matte black to match the grills and the trim I have resprayed matte

2.) paint the hood to match the car

I am currently leaning towards option 1 because of the following. Wrapping would be cheaper and since the climate is not harsh, the wrap should last a long time. Also, if I painted the hood now, it would only be the hood and it may not match the car perfectly, and may have to be touched up or repainted in a year when I have the car paint corrected. Also, the holiday season is upon us and I will be flying back east for vacation. I would much rather have some money to spend around the holiday season and vacation, then to sink more money into the car. For now, My OCD about appearance has been shelved and if something does not directly effect the performance of the vehicle, it is going to the back burner for near future.

Anyways, that is how I feel but I am open to input from others. I have never had a wrap before and know nothing about cleaning or maintaining them, there life expectancy, etc. I will get quotes for both paint and wrap and see how the numbers compare. If anyone cares to comment, I am receptive. Let me know!
    #2. I don't think matte on matte looks good. Especially for matte black which I hate because cleaning it sucks. But if you do wrap, maybe considering tackling it yourself. You'd save the most money that way because the material is cheap. I think I have a roll of matte black somewhere that might be enough for a hood that I could donate to you for the cause lol

They sold the whole panel & cable as a unit. Underneath the hood right before the strut tower, you will see a junction box. I believe you can separate the cable there. So my plan was to take the one of my car and install it just to pop the hood, but the cable wasnt there and you could grab the end with pliers or anything.

As for the matte, always have been on the fence about it myself. It only looks good if it is done well and cleaned and maintained properly. It also doesn't last very long. One guy who has done a lot of nice work in the LA area said for hoods, roofs, and trunks, they only warranty them for a year. Doors and other trim pieces that are more horizontal should last 3 to 5.

Makes more sense to paint the hood, then wrap it, because I could always just go back to silver. Plus, already working with another forum member, Streten, to get a paint job lined up.

I had that cable break on my wife's 135. luckily, I was able to pop out the left grille and open it from there with a screwdriver on the mechanism. I had to replace both cables... the one that goes into the cabin was a PITA but not too bad.
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast