Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 LastLast
    Well, got the harness opened up again and it was in worse shape than I remember! Unfortunately I had to run to the store to get a few more crimp connectors and ran out of time to do the repairs. GF parents are in town, so free time is limited. Luckily, no rain til Wednesday morning so I got a few days to get it done up right.

Name:  Harness 1.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  357.1 KBName:  Harness 2.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  328.0 KB

If anyone has bought a product to do this repair, I would love to know what you ended up using. Trying to find the best permanent solution to avoid continued failures down the road. I was looking at the products offered by Schmiedmann, but have never heard of them before. Time to try and hunt down some reviews.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...pg1467-catn-ol

I haven't done it on my car yet. but on other cars I've repaired, we just buy wire and I just solder and heat shrink everything. Then I would electrical tape the entire bundle of wires before shoving it back in the rubber. On one car, he didn't want to cut the rubber, so we had to pull the wires through the rubber. Shit was a bitch, but so clean when it was done.

Rain tomorrow morning says the weather man so just repaired the trunk wiring harness. I used the product from my previous post and have to say it is pretty awesome! Just not in this application

The way the tape works, is you stretch it out by x2 or x3 the length it is as you wrap around the object, in this case the rubber sleeve around the wires. The problem is with the trunk hinge and support shock next to the harness, there really isn't enough room to get it to stretch out and it was a huge PIA. I did get er done and was able to go up the rubber and back down for two layers, but really felt unsure about the water proofing at the two ends. You can see in one picture where the tape is kinda loose at the end, so I trimmed it a bit.

I then used a bit of silicone to go over the ends and over the grommets to make sure it was sealed. The silicone goes on white but dries clear which is great so you can see how much you put where. The harness is definitely better protected now than it was before, but I'll eventually buy a new rubber sleeve and a wiring repair kit.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Success!
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

God that tube is the worst. I ran an extra wire through there for my backup camera so it can join the rest of the gang and get destroyed from friction. It's funny that BMW didn't find a better way to do that wiring after e36's trunks were catching on fire in people's driveways.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    God that tube is the worst. I ran an extra wire through there for my backup camera so it can join the rest of the gang and get destroyed from friction. It's funny that BMW didn't find a better way to do that wiring after e36's trunks were catching on fire in people's driveways.
    While grocery shopping with my friend, we heard over the intercom "would the owner of a black Bmw 2 door come to the front of the store". As we walked up, we noticed the fire trucks all around his e36 M3, which was engulfed in flames! Pretty sure that was why. Luckily, the fire was interior and trunk only and he recouped some losses by selling the engine and driveline. Worst part was, it was middle of winter, but a nice day so we took the car out of storage, figuring it be good to run it, but since it was it was in storage for the winter, he dropped the full comprehensive insurance

I can't imagine having to fish wires back there, looks like a PITA, but I'll probs pull the whole harness out and put in a new one in a few months. Will hopefully put in LED taillights at the same time too

Quote Originally Posted by GotZHP View Post
    While grocery shopping with my friend, we heard over the intercom "would the owner of a black Bmw 2 door come to the front of the store". As we walked up, we noticed the fire trucks all around his e36 M3, which was engulfed in flames! Pretty sure that was why. Luckily, the fire was interior and trunk only and he recouped some losses by selling the engine and driveline. Worst part was, it was middle of winter, but a nice day so we took the car out of storage, figuring it be good to run it, but since it was it was in storage for the winter, he dropped the full comprehensive insurance

I can't imagine having to fish wires back there, looks like a PITA, but I'll probs pull the whole harness out and put in a new one in a few months. Will hopefully put in LED taillights at the same time too

Oof horrible story

Might as well run a backup camera while you're in there. It's a game changer!

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    Oof horrible story

Might as well run a backup camera while you're in there. It's a game changer!
    When I put in the replacement harness I probably will install a camera too. I am making a new maintenance list, a wish list, and a tech update list. I had cameras front & rear, Bluetooth adapter, and maybe a USB plug on the list so far.

If you're able to wait for a few weeks on the bluetooth adapter there's a guy on m3forums that's developing something that looks to be very promising - it's currently being tested now:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340

Go to the last few pages for the latest.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    If you're able to wait for a few weeks on the bluetooth adapter there's a guy on m3forums that's developing something that looks to be very promising - it's currently being tested now:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=599340

Go to the last few pages for the latest.
    Nice, it does look promising and the price seems fair. I hope its $170 and not $200 but I like that the product is being developed specifically for Bimmers, so its function is probably the best.

I have several maintenance tasks that take priority over my tech updates, so it will be a few months at least until I get around to this upgrade.

Page 54 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 LastLast