Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Welcome back.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    +1

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

So will hopefully have some time later today to go through all my photos and will get some updates here! Honestly, I have not done too much to the ZHP in the past year and a half. Its not even registered for 2019 yet but that I am working to fix. I was laid off yet again just over a year ago, and was on unemployment for 6 months trying to find a job and was having no luck. Continued to look for work but no one hires a EHS Manager at the end of the fiscal year. Ended up going home for several months and working as a project manager for my Dad's construction company. Also, my GF and I were experimenting and trying to be a 1 car couple (Yeah right!). I didn't sabotage the experiment, but knew it was not going to work out, especially once I started a full time job again.

I eventually found a great job and will be starting next Monday, the 18th if the background check is done in time! Super excited. New job = new cash flow = new car parts!

I will have some updates thought to show the things I have done which include:

-Fixing the wiring harness leading into the trunk lid
    -New lower and upper intake boots
    -New vacuum lines everywhere!
    -O2 Pilot mod (more info on this later but seems to be common knowledge, at least over at bimmerboards and e46f)
    -Replaced front driver side wheel arch lining
    -New Oil pan sensor! Was broken when I got the car, figured it was time to put one in lol!
    - New O2 sensors (on the way!)

I will also have some updates with datalogs. I was having trouble getting my car to pass smog and did a lot of datalogs to figure out what was wrong. I had several vacuum leaks to fix, but I still couldn't get all the readiness monitors set once they were fixed and I had done a few drive cycles. Eventually I started looking at O2 sensors, and sure enough I finally got a code related to them. Going to replace both the pre-cat ones while I am at it. Bank 2 sensor 1 is the one that failed, but I am going to replace both!

Items still on the to-do-list:

-Suspension!
    - Struts front and rear - looking at the new Koni replacements for the FSDs. Will replace all suspension components related to this work
    - New bushings everywhere
    - Engine Mounts

Obviously need some cash to do the above work, but checks will start coming in a few weeks! In the meantime, should have enough to post to keep my thread active. I will probably dive into the datalogging and SMOG check work so others can find it here if they are having issues.

So my car sat for about 3 months when I went back East to see my family and lend a hand to my Dad's construction company. GF was supposed to start my car and drive it around the parking lot once every week or so but that did not happen. When I returned the battery was flat dead as can be. Unhooked it, brought it to Autozone, picked it up 4 hours later, great time to fire up the ZHP.

Cranked her over and the entire car started shaking and shimmying and it took no time for the rough running engine to throw the SES light. Turned the car off, plugged in the codes scanner, and sure enough misfires everywhere! Cylinder 2, 4 and 5 were throwing codes, plus the generic multiple misfire codes. Despite using Sta-Bil while gone, my injectors gunked up pretty bad it seemed. Took them out for cleaning and this was my setup.

Name:  20190122_112341.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  539.5 KB

Used an old to go container as the base and collection area with a hanger from tool peg board as the support. Worked perfectly as there just enough room for 6 injectors, and it kept them positioned just right in the tray. Next I followed a tip from Ratchets and Wrenches and put together a cleaning assembly using some spare vacuum lines and some shrink wrap for wiring. Used some electrical tape for good measure after. I used the canned version of SeaFoam, but many products could work here. It was on sale and I plan to use the rest in the engine through the intake manifold as a cleaner.

Name:  20190122_151812.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  673.2 KB

I don't have a spare car battery around and did not want to lug mine from the car to the house so I connected the leads to a 9V battery and that was enough to actuate the injectors. Hold the spray can button down for several seconds each as they took turns being connected to the battery and boom, cleaning done in no time!

Name:  20190122_151816.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  414.3 KB

I let the injectors soak over night in the tray and the next morning when I returned, there was a small glob of congealed gas / ethanol that was at the bottom of the tray. I tried to take some pictures of this but don't know if they came out well and I've yet to offload them from my phone. If they came out ill post them, but it was clear that the cleaning had actually cleaned!

Put them back into the car and it ran substantially better! Codes cleared and was back to just the pesky lean codes :/

I have since solved those codes and that will be my next update post!

10 points for ingenuity

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPizza View Post
    10 points for ingenuity
    Thanks Mate! Kinda used what I had laying around the house for the most part. Only bought the cleaner! Real easy to do. I'll write up a DIY for this for others if they need it.

Nice to have you back, man! Good to see tinkering with the ZHP continues. Def go with Koni Active (new FSD replacement).

It's been a while. Are you still active on WhatsApp?

Quote Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
    Nice to have you back, man! Good to see tinkering with the ZHP continues. Def go with Koni Active (new FSD replacement).

It's been a while. Are you still active on WhatsApp?
    Sreten!!! Good to hear from you. I have a new phone and need to download it again, but ill do that today!

Its your old ZHP that makes me want the new Koni Actives. How's been man? Enjoying the new ///M I hope :D

Quote Originally Posted by GotZHP View Post
    So my car sat for about 3 months when I went back East to see my family and lend a hand to my Dad's construction company. GF was supposed to start my car and drive it around the parking lot once every week or so but that did not happen. When I returned the battery was flat dead as can be. Unhooked it, brought it to Autozone, picked it up 4 hours later, great time to fire up the ZHP.

Cranked her over and the entire car started shaking and shimmying and it took no time for the rough running engine to throw the SES light. Turned the car off, plugged in the codes scanner, and sure enough misfires everywhere! Cylinder 2, 4 and 5 were throwing codes, plus the generic multiple misfire codes. Despite using Sta-Bil while gone, my injectors gunked up pretty bad it seemed. Took them out for cleaning and this was my setup.

Name:  20190122_112341.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  539.5 KB

Used an old to go container as the base and collection area with a hanger from tool peg board as the support. Worked perfectly as there just enough room for 6 injectors, and it kept them positioned just right in the tray. Next I followed a tip from Ratchets and Wrenches and put together a cleaning assembly using some spare vacuum lines and some shrink wrap for wiring. Used some electrical tape for good measure after. I used the canned version of SeaFoam, but many products could work here. It was on sale and I plan to use the rest in the engine through the intake manifold as a cleaner.

Name:  20190122_151812.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  673.2 KB

I don't have a spare car battery around and did not want to lug mine from the car to the house so I connected the leads to a 9V battery and that was enough to actuate the injectors. Hold the spray can button down for several seconds each as they took turns being connected to the battery and boom, cleaning done in no time!

Name:  20190122_151816.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  414.3 KB

I let the injectors soak over night in the tray and the next morning when I returned, there was a small glob of congealed gas / ethanol that was at the bottom of the tray. I tried to take some pictures of this but don't know if they came out well and I've yet to offload them from my phone. If they came out ill post them, but it was clear that the cleaning had actually cleaned!

Put them back into the car and it ran substantially better! Codes cleared and was back to just the pesky lean codes :/

I have since solved those codes and that will be my next update post!

Fantastic! This is perfect timing since I plan on doing the same with my injectors. By any chance, did the lean codes end up being the vacuum plugs on the back of the intake manifold? Just a guess.

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping me motivated with your thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Fantastic! This is perfect timing since I plan on doing the same with my injectors. By any chance, did the lean codes end up being the vacuum plugs on the back of the intake manifold? Just a guess.

Keep up the good work and thanks for keeping me motivated with your thread!
    HAHAHA, that is going to be my next post! Resizing the photos now and will have them up in a second. Turns out I had 3 vacuum leaks to address, and I did a few other items while I was at it. It'll all be in my next post, which will be up shortly here. Dog is standing by the door, so gotta take her out quick first

Next bit of work I did was to tackle the vacuum leaks that have been almost a consistent issues with my car. First it was the lower intake boot, then the upper, then the CCV, then the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator, then the O-ring where the dipstick tube goes in failed. My intake manifold gaskets also had a leak and were replaced when I did the CCV.

Not wanting to have to deal with these issues anymore, I replaced many parts and lines, even though they passed the smoke test, while many others didn't. I found 3 vacuum leaks when I smoke tested the car using the siphon pump below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pennzoil...6677/205092031

This is a great tool to have and is only $10 at Home Depot. Wish I had some pictures but my phone was dead at the time. Real simple setup though. I put some electrical tape around a cigar and stuck it in one end. Other end of the hose goes into the middle finger of a latex glove and the cuff goes around the upper intake boot. Pretty standard stuff.

Using this method I found 3 vacuum leaks. First and most noticeable was the lower intake boot.

Name:  Lower 1.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  294.7 KBName:  Lower 2.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  469.8 KB

This boot is only two years old, but I realized I ordered a non-OEM part. For now one, always OEM! However, the condition of my upper intake boot which is only a year old doesn't look that much better! Already heavily cracked! I am def going to get another one by warrantying this.

Name:  upper 1.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  634.7 KB

It wasn't leaking, but I replaced it anyways to avoid a future headache.

The other two vacuum leaks were one of the vacuum caps on the back of the manifold, the big 7mm one, and my CCV was missing a vacuum cap on the oil / air separator. With both these missing, and my intake side of the engine already out of the engine bay, I decided to install the O2Pilot mod. This is a simple modification where you attach a vacuum line that runs from the back of the manifold to the open port on the CCV. This mod helps to greatly increase the vacuum pressure within the manifold and supposedly helps cut back on oil consumption. My car does consume oil, so I will be interested to see the results from the additional vacuum. Now that I run 5w-40 the consumption has slowed compared to the 5w-30 or 0w-30 the dealership tries to sell you now, but I hope to have it nearly eliminated.

And since I didn't want to have any more vacuum leaks in the near future, I installed these parts as well!

Name:  vacuum.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  335.5 KB

New upper and lower intake boots w/ accompanying F-Connector. All new vacuum lines and various connectors for the O2Pilot Mod. I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the throttle body gasket. I also cleaned the ICV and installed a new rubber grommet where it mounts to the intake manifold. Figured might as well replace these while they are off the car.

With everything back on, the car ran sooooo much better. Like night and day difference! I have some data logs I am working on graphing and will post those soon. There are two very easy ways to tell if your car has a vacuum leak. first being a smoke test and second is looking at fuel trim data. It is very apparent that when your short term fuel trim is 25% and your long term 15% that there is a lot of extra air getting into the engine. I have some pre and post data logs available to show the comparison. My cars idle is almost perfectly steady, but there are still some minor fluctuations.

Up next is this guy:

Name:  Oil Sensor.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  260.2 KB

Stay tuned for some more updates and data logs / graphs showing fuel trims and O2 sensor read outs.

Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast