Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Thread: Oil consumption

Oil consumption

I used to be about 2 quarts in between oil changes (6-7k miles), now i'm at 3 quarts between changes.
    Have replaced Oil filter housing gasket, Vanos oil line, vanos rebuild, and valve cover gasket, no other oil leaks.

I'm assuming next step is to replace the CCV system?

Replacing Ccv cured my oil consumption from 2 quarts to a quart... I would replace it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown | Gruppe M Intake | Corsa TSE3 | Michelin PSS on Apex ARC-8 | Koni Yellows |

I'd replace the CCV, hoses and R+R the dipstick tube to thoroughly clean the oil return passage. BMW over-engineered the dipstick to include a sleeve/baffle inside the bottom few inches of the dipstick. You need to run carb cleaner or similar through it to remove any sludge. I have a new "cold weather" dipstick for my X5 that eliminates this goofy baffle, but I haven't made time to fit it yet - probably do the CVV and hoses at the same time.

The E53 guys with the M54 engine have a solution to the oil consumption issue that eliminates the rube goldberg CCV contraption and all of the hoses and uses a single PCV valve instead. It's plumbed in between the valve cover hose outlet and the intake. Simple solution. I may go that route eventually.
    12 BMW X5 3.5i xDrive (E70)
    12 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 turbo (the black sheep)
    03 BMW 330i ZHP (E46)
    01 BMW X5 3.0i (E53)
    79 Triumph Spitfire
    73 MGB

Quote Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
    I'd replace the CCV, hoses and R+R the dipstick tube to thoroughly clean the oil return passage. BMW over-engineered the dipstick to include a sleeve/baffle inside the bottom few inches of the dipstick. You need to run carb cleaner or similar through it to remove any sludge. I have a new "cold weather" dipstick for my X5 that eliminates this goofy baffle, but I haven't made time to fit it yet - probably do the CVV and hoses at the same time.

The E53 guys with the M54 engine have a solution to the oil consumption issue that eliminates the rube goldberg CCV contraption and all of the hoses and uses a single PCV valve instead. It's plumbed in between the valve cover hose outlet and the intake. Simple solution. I may go that route eventually.
    If you do either of these, you should do a DIY if you have the time. I'd be very interested, and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    If you do either of these, you should do a DIY if you have the time. I'd be very interested, and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone.
    At the risk of running afoul of forum etiquette; here's the link:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-problems.html

This idea was originally cooked up to eliminate the risk of CCV freeze up. IMO, the real problem is a combination of several things. First, the over complicated CCV system which leads to oil usage if not functioning perfectly and BMWs choice to use low-tension oil control rings which lose their ability to do their job when they get slightly gummed up.

The M54 in my E53 uses a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so. It has 154k miles on it, I bought it new and am religious about oil change intervals, typically 7000 miles of Mobil 1 0W-40. After replacing the CVV/hoses and installing the new unbaffled dipstick, my plan is to add a can of BG 109 aka "EPR" just prior to the next oil change, run it for 10min, let it drain overnight and refill. Run it for a week or two, then pull the plugs and add a couple of tablespoons of GM's "top engine cleaner" with a turkey baster and let it soak down overnight. Suck/blow out any residual, reinstall new plugs and see if I get any improvement in oil consumption. If not, I'll probably convert to the PCV. Apparently, this leads to an increase in vacuum which helps with oil consumption.
    03 BMW 330i ZHP (E46)
    01 BMW X5 3.0i (E53)
    79 Triumph Spitfire
    73 MGB

How many miles do you guys run between oil changes????? We are still talking about synthetics.
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

I change my oil every 12 months or so. Since I dont drive too much, that will be every 2,000 to 3,000 miles.

Tech Talk from the Roundel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good article.

I also run an E30 radiator cap to lower the operating temp a bit.
    03 BMW 330i ZHP (E46)
    01 BMW X5 3.0i (E53)
    79 Triumph Spitfire
    73 MGB

Quote Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
    Good article.

I also run an E30 radiator cap to lower the operating temp a bit.
    Lower operating temp = less oil consumption?

His: 05 330 ZHP Imola Red - 07 Z4 M Coupe Imola Red
    Hers: 04 330i ZSP
    2004 325 M56 Steel Blue Metallic - Sold
    Stephen's DD & AutoX/HPDE Build Thread
    Stewart WP - Z4M LCAB - M3 trans/motor mounts - DICE MediageBridge Duo - ARC-8 17x8.5"
    DrVANOS - Mason Engineering Race Strut Bar - E30 Exp. Cap - Custom Black+Beige Interior - M3 Seats
    Bilstein PSS10 - Turner Sway Bars 27/21 - ECST RTAB Limiters - R.E. RSM