Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Replacing Clown Nose mirror with alternative

My car has the cold weather, performance, premium and Xenon packages. The rearview mirror has a large-style clown nose and a flip-open door for Assist and SOS (as best I recall the names). Right now autodim is not working, and I really wanted to have compass and garage functions on the mirror (and a nose job, so to speak). So I've purchased this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262312033499

The guy who sold me the car represented contemporary BMW mirrors as largely interchangeable and said I'd be able to snap this mirror into place to have the garage door, autodim and compass functions available to me. So, for ZHP owners here, I have some questions:

• Should I expect things to go as easily as represented? I will be checking fuses as regards the functions involved. Anything to keep an eye out for?
    • Any advice for removing/installing the mirror? I believe I rotate it CCW with pressure against the glass to remove?
    • I think I've found links for garage remote programming instructions, but if anyone wants to chime in...

Many thanks to all, in advance.

You have BMW assist so there will be some modification to the replacement mirror to keep in mind. On the replacement mirror you will need to pull out pins 4,5,6 and 7 so you don't fry the mirror electronics...

When I took out my BMW Assist mirror (with the Assist and SOS panel), I plugged in my ///M Oval rear view mirror (because there were people on the forum saying the mirror was plug-and-play) and I started seeing smoke come out of the mirror once I applied power to the car... I immediately realized I had to do more research and found out for BMW Assist equipped cars there were 4 pins that had to be pulled first before the replacement mirror would work (in my case the ///M Oval rear view mirror)

The mirror still worked although there was part of the circuit that got fried... the burnt electrical component smell did eventually go away from the mirror but if you remove pins 4,5,6 and 7 you won't have to deal with all of this.

I don't think you can use a mirror that has the integrated compass, I remember seeing that somewhere in one of the forums, so my advice is to do some research through M3Forum, e46Fanatics, and others to make sure the mirror you want to use can be modded to work in your BMW Assist equipped BMW

Mirrors rotate 45 degrees and then come off. Very easy to take off and a little challenging to put back on if you never done this before but not too hard...

When I bought my ZHP 4 years ago the mirror was bad. I was able to find an E46 convertible mirror w/Homelink (they have Homelink right on the mirror, as opposed to the coupe/sedan, which got the ceiling-mounted Homelink, when so equipped), and also with BMW Assist. In that case it was just plug & play and has worked fine ever since. The info above is spot-on - your situation is stickier.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

Super helpful! Thanks for this.

I spent some time on the phone with bavarian-car-parts, the vendor, and the guy was very helpful. He seems to think that if I take care of those four pins I should have a working mirror with full function on the features I want.

Awesome! Thanks for starting this thread!

I intend to do the same. My mirror has the large clown nose, but no other functionality whatsoever, including any autodim. I'm tired of having my retinas burned out at stoplights by lifted pickups with headlights at the perfect eye level. I can't believe BMW sold the car with a non-dimming mirror, but then no prismatic mirror with the flip tab... You know, like a freakin' base model $15k Chevy or Honda. BMW is so weird about some things.

Anyway, I read about people letting the magic smoke out of the auto-dimming mirrors, and don't relish the thought of ruining a $150 mirror, so I planned to do a lot more research. But, now I can just wait to hear how things work out for you!

Seriously, keep us posted!

Subscribed.

Cheers,
    SC
    2004 ZHP Vert - Titanium Silver 6MT
    BMW CCA Rocky Mountain Chapter #504522
    ZHP Replacement: 2012 E93 M3 * Daily Driver: 2007 Hummer H3 Adventure * Wife-mobile: 2016 VW Touareg Exec

Quote Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for starting this thread!

I intend to do the same. My mirror has the large clown nose, but no other functionality whatsoever, including any autodim. I'm tired of having my retinas burned out at stoplights by lifted pickups with headlights at the perfect eye level. I can't believe BMW sold the car with a non-dimming mirror, but then no prismatic mirror with the flip tab... You know, like a freakin' base model $15k Chevy or Honda. BMW is so weird about some things.

Anyway, I read about people letting the magic smoke out of the auto-dimming mirrors, and don't relish the thought of ruining a $150 mirror, so I planned to do a lot more research. But, now I can just wait to hear how things work out for you!

Seriously, keep us posted!

Subscribed.

Cheers,
    SC
    i think you twist the red nose on the non-autodim mirrors to get them to flip down?
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    i think you twist the red nose on the non-autodim mirrors to get them to flip down?
    Correct.

Blake - 2005 330i ZHP 6-sp

BTW, I have a vert, which appears to complicate things further... In verts, the receiver for keyless entry is in the mirror apparently. The vert-compatible mirrors are identifiable because they have a "315mhz" in specs. As such, those mirrors appear to be much less plentiful and therefore higher-priced. Awesome.

The newest part number - 51169123513 - is listed on eBay by New Century BMW for $773.72, while the older part numbers aren't found in a search at all, including old listings. Looks like I'll be waiting awhile.

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

SC
    ZHP Replacement: 2012 E93 M3 * Daily Driver: 2007 Hummer H3 Adventure * Wife-mobile: 2016 VW Touareg Exec

Quote Originally Posted by slater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieBlake View Post
    Correct.
    OMG, seriously?!!?! How the hell did I miss that?!! Can't wait to get home and try it tonight! Thanks, guys!

SC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast