Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Yura's Tacoma

95% done.

Turned around for 5 minutes to take a break, and someone decided to test out the drawer:

Mounted frame in the truck. Think that's enough bearings? :D

Attachment to the front D-rings:

Attachment to the rear D-rings:

Partially slid out. Got to add safety hook to prevent accidentally sliding the drawer all the way out:

Closed:

View through driver's side windoor:

I've got the top plates for the pocket holes cut, just need to wrap them in carpet and mount the euro hinges (tomorrow).

The fitment is incredibly tight - I don't even need the latch I put in place. A simple chest handle would have been just fine in this case. I'll leave it as is for the time being. I also should have made the drawer's front sit a bit higher as it does catch on the tailgate when being slid out, but it's really not too bad, and the part of the tailgate that gets rubbed is plastic and easily removable/replaceable, so I'll leave this as is, too.

Overall very happy with how it turned out!

Looking good

Super cool man. Nice craftsmanship

Thanks, guys.

Officially all done!

I put 1/2" blocks of wood to act as spacers in the very front to prevent the drawer from dragging on the tailgate - much better now. Also carpeted + mounted the pocket hole platform bits.

Everything open:

Looks awesome! Really nicely done.

Do you have a mattress/camping pad you're planning to use with it?

Plans for items to store in there regularly?

Thanks!

I normally bring two mattresses when I go camping: a fairly large Thermarest that I give the dog, and a slightly smaller, yet much more compact and better insulating mattress for myself. Since the dog will now be sleeping in the rear seats area, I think I'll use the Thermarest for myself, and keep it in the drawer. Another option would be to find a fairly thin, double-sized mattress that I can keep rolled up (with a sleeping bag rolled up right in it) and just roll out whenever I want it. Unfortunately most of the thinner mattresses are memory-foam toppers, and I can't use memory-foam for something that'll spend most of its life rolled up. I'll have to look around, I guess.

I've already got the following stored on a permanent basis (spread between the cab's storage and the new bed storage options):

- 12ft tow rope with metal hooks on both ends; used this to tow out a few buddies using my previous ML350
    - 30ft tow rope (proper one - no metal on either end)
    - D-ring recovery shackle and hitch adapter (truck has OEM front recovery point)
    - tow hitch/ball insert
    - compressor (cheap, crappy, old - wish list includes a new one)
    - OEM jack / tools (wish list includes a hi-lift jack)
    - tons of fuses; multi-tool; waterproof matches
    - first aid kit
    - wet wipes (indispensable!)
    - paper towels
    - small fire extinguisher
    - power inverter
    - full-size axe
    - small, folding shovel
    - extra leash & collar for the dog

I'll be mounting the axe on the bed's rail (either at the head or one of the sides) in the coming days/week. Need to do a Home Depot run to pick up some hardware.

The storage drawer conveniently fits four of these plastic totes, with room to spare below and all around (and I already have plenty of these totes at home/unused). I plan on using one of these to permanently hold a "kitchen," another for camping essentials, and probably one more for additional random camping stuff. Maybe a dedicated bag with emergency canned goods, fire starters, batteries, water, etc.

I need to get a small grill to use in the kitchen tote (my BBQ is too big, and I don't want to carry it around anyways), as well as some cast-iron skillets and some dedicated camping cutlery, knives, etc. I also want to get a few new camping chairs that'll be in the drawer permanently, too. Another thought I had is that I have a 4ft x 2ft folding table that I bring camping. When folded it's about an inch, maybe two inches thick, and I think this table + tote on top should clear the drawer's vertical room, so that would be great to have permanently, too.

The whole idea is to have as little un/packing to do (when leave to/coming back from camping) as possible. The less time I spend un/packing, the more time & energy I can spend on drinking beers on a remote river bank/lake.

One more mini-project I need to do is set up bug-nets for my cab's rear windows (so the dog gets fresh air at night), as well as for the space between the cab's rear window and my canopy's front window. I've got ideas for both, just need to find the time to make those happen.

Thanks for the info! I have no plans to buy a truck and set it up for camping, but if I did, this would be my first stop. It sounds very well organized.

Mounted the axe:

Created a bug screen for one of the rear doors by "framing" the screen material with duct tape. Quick, easy, works like a charm:

Got the truck detailed.

All pinstripes are 100% gone - even the ones you could feel with your nail. Not even a trace remaining of them. Deep shine all over. Truck did not look this good when it was brand new on the dealer's floor.

Now I'm tempted to bubble wrap it and never drive it again.

Crappy iPhone pics on a cloudy~ish day:

Ended up selling the drawer platform as I want to go in a different direction - bed slide (getting installed tomorrow).

I ordered sliders about 1.5 months ago and today they finally went on the truck:

In other news, ICON Stage 4 suspension kit is on the way and should be getting installed in early August. Wasn't going to upgrade suspension for a while (even though an upgrade is definitely needed!), but there was a 20% off deal and I couldn't pass it up.

Also ordered an ARB 63QT fridge (again on a bit of a sale - free travel case & remote temperature sensor) and Renology 100W solar panel (will be mounted on the roof). The solar panel will be hooked up to a deep cycle battery in a marine battery case, and the fridge will run off a 12V from that case. The battery I have in mind should run the fridge for 3.5 days without any additional power, and with the solar panel, more or less indefinitely.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112