Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coding GM5...

Coding GM5...

Anyone here capable of coding a GM5 module? The one on my ZHP is acting up and my door locks are intermittently working. I still need to be able to use my wipers etc. because I travel a lot and can't really do without a module for a week. They aren't too expensive but I do believe that they need to be programmed to your car. Thanks for the help.

| AFE Cold Air Intake | VMR 701s | Bimmian Phone Bracket + Alween Magnetic | Zimmerman Coat Z Rotors + Bosch Quiet Cast | G.A.S. 1.2 BAR Coolant cap |
    | G.A.S. DISA Rebuild Kit | Besian Systems VANOS Rebuild + Anti Rattle | Mirimoto HID retrofit | Orion V2 (Opaque) |

"I've always thought of the hardcore ZHP owners as a bunch of pricks that over value an option package, this cements that position."

I think it needs a rebuild, unfortunately.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Mine is doing this too... only occasionally though!

Rebuild on a GM5 is easier than we think. I'll let Justin explain.

Sent from an S6 Edge
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

So the GM5 module has 12 different relays on it. The central locking system consists of two double relays. They're decently easy to remove if you know how to use a soldering iron, same with install. I'm looking into buying new relays to install but I'm unsure if the GM5 would need to be recoded after install. Or, would it just be plug and play?

| AFE Cold Air Intake | VMR 701s | Bimmian Phone Bracket + Alween Magnetic | Zimmerman Coat Z Rotors + Bosch Quiet Cast | G.A.S. 1.2 BAR Coolant cap |
    | G.A.S. DISA Rebuild Kit | Besian Systems VANOS Rebuild + Anti Rattle | Mirimoto HID retrofit | Orion V2 (Opaque) |

"I've always thought of the hardcore ZHP owners as a bunch of pricks that over value an option package, this cements that position."

Quote Originally Posted by justinwilson77 View Post
    So the GM5 module has 12 different relays on it. The central locking system consists of two double relays. They're decetly easy to remove if you know how to use a soldering iron, same with install. I'm looking into buying new relays to install but I'm unsure if the GM5 would need to be recoded after install. Or, would it just be plug and play?
    I don't believe relays store any information, so I would think that you can replace the relays without requiring any coding after-the-fact. Coding typically gets stored in some kind of ROM.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

No need for coding after relay replacement. Just be careful with soldering iron because circuit board has circuits on both sides. Relays are available on ebay, just get the right type. There are Siemens and Tyco and I'm not sure if they are interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by zYx View Post
    No need for coding after relay replacement. Just be careful with soldering iron because circuit board has circuits on both sides. Relays are available on ebay, just get the right type. There are Siemens and Tyco and I'm not sure if they are interchangeable.
    Yea I just ordered the newest version of the relays off ebay. I made sure it was the same exact type of relay..just a newer production date.

Relay replacment done. It was tedious but not as difficult as I was expecting. Locks work like a charm now. Total cost was $40 vs. $140 to send it off.

Nice job. If you can remember what you did you should post a DIY since a few others have mentioned lock issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast