Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Curious as to why you chose the second resonator and not the first...
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Curious as to why you chose the second resonator and not the first...
    Second resonator is the one I had originally taken out and he liked the sound of mine so I think that's why he did the second one.

04' Sapphire Black 330ci ZHP 6MT | Hyper Silver ARC-8s | Vibrant Performance Exhaust w/ Straight Pipes (both resonators removed) | 3.46 Diff | AKG Polyurethane Diff Bushings | Coby Wheel - Shift Boot - E-Brake Boot - E-Brake Handle - Alcantara Door Pads | Koni FSD's w/ Eibach Springs | CDV Delete w/ Steel Braided Clutch Line | Michelin PSS
    Luca

Ok and you removed the second one because....?
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Ok and you removed the second one because....?
    Probably should've included that in my first post lol. I did the second one because it was the smaller/less restrictive of the two and didn't want the car to sound too loud or raspy. But now that I have both out I can say that it is not the case, it is loud, but not stupid loud and I love it.

04' Sapphire Black 330ci ZHP 6MT | Hyper Silver ARC-8s | Vibrant Performance Exhaust w/ Straight Pipes (both resonators removed) | 3.46 Diff | AKG Polyurethane Diff Bushings | Coby Wheel - Shift Boot - E-Brake Boot - E-Brake Handle - Alcantara Door Pads | Koni FSD's w/ Eibach Springs | CDV Delete w/ Steel Braided Clutch Line | Michelin PSS
    Luca

ok Tnx
    H&R sport springs,

I mentioned this in the Facebook group, but I'll go ahead and put it here as a cautionary tale and for final feedback...

I wanted a little more sound. I'd love a Borla or UUC cat-back system, but it makes no sense to me to spend that kind of money on this car. I knew about this thread, but... Everybody's tastes are so different, so even if somebody here liked a sound, that doesn't mean I would. Plus, I was hoping for a more OE look. So, instead of trusting my instinct and mirroring the successful results in this thread, I went to a local BMW guy that several people said I could trust.

The local guy recommended a "cherry bomb" bottle-style glass-pack. Immediately, I expressed serious misgivings, reiterated what I wanted, and told him how I've always hated the sound of "glass packs" on V8 cars and trucks. That flabby blub-blub is just nasty. Nothing makes a car or truck sound more like an old beat up Chevy or Ford like a set of glass packs. But, he said it's totally different on the BMW and assured me I'd be happy with the results. Fine. Flowmaster Y-collector, tube resonator, and a set of chrome tips similar to the originals.

$350 later, I had the car back. It sounded good in the parking lot. Idle was a little nicer, there was a little burble. Cool! It even sounded OK for the first part of the drive home. Then, I went to pass a car on the way up a hill. Oh man, what the hell is that sound? Beyond half-throttle, it sounds terrible. It sounds like blowing air through a paper towel tube. Seriously, "tube" is all I can think of whenever I stand on it. Overall volume isn't bad... It just sounds like total ass. I hate it so much, I've been nursing the car around for the last month to avoid the sound.

So, I have to fix it now. I have a Vibrant 1149 in my Amazon cart. $113.97. 3-inch inlet, and dual 3-inch outlets. Is that what I want?

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...products_id=51

So bummed. I'll have enough money in screwing around with this, I could have bought a Rogue Ikon or been about halfway to something even nicer. Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks, guys!!!

SC
    2004 ZHP Vert - Titanium Silver 6MT
    BMW CCA Rocky Mountain Chapter #504522
    ZHP Replacement: 2012 E93 M3 * Daily Driver: 2007 Hummer H3 Adventure * Wife-mobile: 2016 VW Touareg Exec

We've all been there... Don't beat yourself up too much... regroup and carry on! You'll get it sorted out!
    H&R sport springs,

Quote Originally Posted by ecrabb View Post
    So, I have to fix it now. I have a Vibrant 1149 in my Amazon cart. $113.97. 3-inch inlet, and dual 3-inch outlets. Is that what I want?

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...products_id=51
    1148 is what most people here got and that is the link you posted above.
    anandoc

2004 330i auto | ZPP, ZCW | Schwarz 2 (668) | schwarz (N6SW)

aFe Stage-1 Pro DRY S intake | Morimoto FX-R 3.0 retrofit | ///M3 Seats (power, heat, bolster adj.) | ///M3 Strut Brace | ///M3 SMG Steering Wheel retrofit | OEM Alarm retrofit | GROM USB | Khoalty angel eyes

I know next to nothing about exhaust and gas dynamics, but the 2.5" inlet is a smaller cross-sectional area than the two 2" exhaust pipes leading into the 2.5" muffler (~19.62 inches2 vs. ~25.12 inches2). I would assume that would create some back pressure, but as I said, don't really know gas dynamics. The 3" (1149) has a cross section of ~28.26 inches2, greater than the two inlet exhaust pipes.

I purchased the 1149 for the 3" inlet. Provides pretty close to the same volume that two 2" pipes does. While the extra backpressure from the 2.5" inlet version wouldn't be too terrible (I guess), I've just been obsessive about things like this and I like things to "fit" together. Hard to describe, lol.

5/2003 Silbergrau Metallic ZHP
    - Sedan :: 6MT :: Style 68 -
    h&r | drvanos | koni | active autowerke | vibrant | akg | turner

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast