Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red Oil light at Startup

Hi all,

I recently did an oil service and now on startup of the car, the red oil light come on for about 5 seconds and then off. This is happening consistently on start.

I have checked the oil level and it looks fine, as oil was just changed with the proper 7 Quarts.

I have read this can mean low oil pressure, or the oil sensor needs to be replaced.

I did not read of an example where the red oil light is on for ~ 5 seconds only at startup so wanted to see if anyone here had any insight or thoughts.

Thanks,

Zach

Sensor could be going bad. It's on the bottom of the oil pan and can be changed next time you do the oil (3 nuts).

---
    "ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Sensor on the bottom of the pan should be only for oil level (yellow oil light). Red light is connected to oil pressure switch/sensor on the back of oil filter housing. If you have red light I'd check that one first.
    The best course of action should be checking oil pressure with a external gauge and if it is OK, than change the switch.
    Also the problem can be with new oil, or small o-rings on oil filter cap at the end of shaft that often are not replaced due to the fact that they do not come with oil filter anymore.

Probably anti-drainback valve in the oil filter housing. Mine is doing it too. Have to replace the whole housing since it's built into it

Replacing the sensor is worth a shot since it is cheap however.

Mine does the same thing at start. Since there is an oil film on the moving parts for more than the 3ish seconds that it takes to go out anyway, is this really an urgent thing that I need to address?

When I open my oil filter housing in the morning it's almost completely empty - is that confirmation that the drainback valve has failed?

Quote Originally Posted by sean96gsr View Post
    Mine does the same thing at start. Since there is an oil film on the moving parts for more than the 3ish seconds that it takes to go out anyway, is this really an urgent thing that I need to address?
    Well, it's not advised you leave it. Leaving a bad sensor will prevent you from knowing if there's a problem in the event something does actually break...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    ...knowing if there's a problem in the event something does actually break...
    Oh, sensor or not, you will certainly know if something breaks or goes wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post
    Oh, sensor or not, you will certainly know if something breaks or goes wrong.
    Yeah, but that light will give you that immediate warning to shut the motor off. Could be the difference between needing a motor replacement and not.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

KaBoom!

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Well, it's not advised you leave it. Leaving a bad sensor will prevent you from knowing if there's a problem in the event something does actually break...
    Sorry, I was referring to replacing the OFH to fix the anti-drainback valve issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast