Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Nice, let us know how it works out.

As an aside, what does the secondary air pump do? I'm guessing it's involved with the exhaust system. Cursory internet search suggests more complete combustion of exhaust gases in the catalytic converter.
    It adds extra air (oxygen) directly into exhaust so catalytic convertors heat up more quickly and reduce pollution during cold start when the engine is running very rich.

Quote Originally Posted by zYx View Post
    It adds extra air (oxygen) directly into exhaust so catalytic convertors heat up more quickly and reduce pollution during cold start when the engine is running very rich.
    I've seen that explanation but it confuses me a bit. What is the air source that the secondary air pump uses? If it's exterior air, the air shouldn't be considered "warm" as compared to exhaust gas, right? So how would extra exterior air heat up the catalytic converters any more than having just the exhaust gases pass through the converters?

It uses external air, on my M54B25 it is a bit different than on B30 and it has small washable foam filter under top removable cover.

Like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgvtCI21Aio

I think the temperature of air does not matter, exhaust gases burn hotter with added air (it is my amateur physicist opinion).

Edit: there is an explanation in this article:

http://blog.bavauto.com/12072/bmw-se...to-diy-obd-ii/

^Good info, thanks!

Yes, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

Ive also recently found out why it's so noisy all of a sudden.... There is a bearing in there that is known for getting dry. This is what is making the noise, however, it is still working properly, just a bit noisier than normal. When the day comes that the pump starts to get fussy I have a real issue, as these pumps are pretty pricy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12