Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Empty Blender...

So for the past few weeks, immediately upon starting the car after it has been sitting a bit, I hear a high pitched, winding noise for about 10-15 seconds each time. It's a sound that I can only describe as an empty blender spinning, hence the title..

I'm thinking my fuel pump, or maybe fuel filter is the culprit. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this, and if so, how much time to have??

03 ImolaRot|6sp|Alcantara|Silver Cube|CW|Xenons

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

1979 911sc: The Perpetual Project

This sound occurs while the car has been turned on with the motor running?

Is it a pulley? I just bought a new idler / deflection pulley today. Mine was not that high pitched when it first started to go, but now it screeches. Also when it first started acting up it would only make noise in short bursts

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    This sound occurs while the car has been turned on with the motor running?
    Yes, immediately after the car turns over, the winding noise starts, goes for about 10-15sec and then shuts off.

Quote Originally Posted by GotZHP View Post
    Is it a pulley? I just bought a new idler / deflection pulley today. Mine was not that high pitched when it first started to go, but now it screeches. Also when it first started acting up it would only make noise in short bursts
    Its definitely not a pulley/belt noise.. this is more of an electric motor/pump noise.

Coby Alcantara Knob|CF Diffuser|BMW Performance Kidneys|Umnitza Eyes|RCR|UUC TSE3|GruppeM CF-Kevlar Intake|BC Racing Coils|Spacers|BavSound Stg. 1

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

Secondary air pump, perhaps?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Secondary air pump, perhaps?
    BP, that's an interesting idea.. SES light came on about a year ago and the code it threw was for the secondary air pump. But one day it went away and hasn't come back on since. Do you think I could be on its way out without throwing a SES light? Also, have you heard of this sound getting linked to the SAP before?

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

Never heard of this sound before, but I never searched for it online either since I never had that problem.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Never heard of this sound before, but I never searched for it online either since I never had that problem.
    BP, great call, it was the SAP. Really checked it out today with that in mind. It has always worked, but lately been much noisier than normal, hence the thread.

I guess this noise means the hose that runs from the pump to the check valve starts to deteriorate and crack over time. Gonna give that a look after work..

Thanks!

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

Nice, let us know how it works out.

As an aside, what does the secondary air pump do? I'm guessing it's involved with the exhaust system. Cursory internet search suggests more complete combustion of exhaust gases in the catalytic converter.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Nice, let us know how it works out.

As an aside, what does the secondary air pump do? I'm guessing it's involved with the exhaust system. Cursory internet search suggests more complete combustion of exhaust gases in the catalytic converter.
    ding* ding* ding*

Yes, you are correct as far as I'm aware.. Literally sounds like someone switches a vacuum on once I turn the motor over... Should have thought a bit more about the title of the thread before starting it, haha.

BMW/CCA/CT VALLEY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast