Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Which strut nut are you talking about, the one on the end link or the one that connects the strut to the hub? Why do you need the special strut nut socket? On our ZHPs you just need a wrench to hold the end link still while you remove the strut bolt using a breaker bar or a ratchet to remove the nut, or if it's the bolt that connects the strut to the hub, you just need a breaker bar or ratchet.

That said, I got an impact wrench for $100 from Sears for my sister's suspension refresh and I am in love with it.

No I'm referring to the top nut. The one that holds the strut assembly together. It requires a 6/7mm allen and a 21/22mm hex simultaneously to remove, hence the pass-through socket. I know others have had success just putting an impact on it to remove but I know it's not recommended when tightening it down.

Quote Originally Posted by QC_ZHP View Post
    No I'm referring to the top nut. The one that holds the strut assembly together. It requires a 6/7mm allen and a 21/22mm hex simultaneously to remove, hence the pass-through socket. I know others have had success just putting an impact on it to remove but I know it's not recommended when tightening it down.
    My BMW tech friend used an impact on mine without even thinking twice about it. I'd say just be careful if using one and don't overtorque.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by QC_ZHP View Post
    Need to figure out the strut bolt situation. Should I order the special socket from ECS for $15 or should I spend $50 on a harbor freight electric impact? The impact will probably be the better investment but I would rather not spend the money on a low quality one if I could just get the job done with a socket, plus I don't particularly want to tighten it with an impact either.

links
    https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2652183/
    http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...nch-68099.html
    to be honest, they are both worth the investment.

the impact wrench is a great price and even if it lasts 2 years, it's worth it - plus, you'll get a lot more use out of that than the special socket.

typically what i do is hand-thread the nut on, then zip it down with the impact on the lowest torque setting, then tighten it further when it's installed in the car. always works.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    My BMW tech friend used an impact on mine without even thinking twice about it. I'd say just be careful if using one and don't overtorque.
    yep, you don't want to give it the full beans - an impact gun will (should) have multiple torque settings, this helps. mine has 3 forward settings and i never use #3.
    peter

2004 330i ZHP
    2005 330iT ZHP
    2010 328iT M Sport

Alright thanks fellas, looks like I'll be making a trip to harbor freight today. May through one of those sockets in my cart next time i place an order just to have it.

An air gun will usually overcome the torque and you don't need the Allen wrench. Alternatively I once used vice grips on a socket so the top was free for hex key.

Koni specifically says not to use an impact gun on that top nut. After I read that, I looked for something in my toolbox to use... finally I said F it and used an impact gun. Used an impact gun the second time I installed them too...Everything works fine, no worries
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sockethead View Post
    Koni specifically says not to use an impact gun on that top nut. After I read that, I looked for something in my toolbox to use... finally I said F it and used an impact gun. Used an impact gun the second time I installed them too...Everything works fine, no worries
    Bilstein says the same thing. Didn't stop my friend from using one. lol

Sent from my LG V10 on Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Probably for the idiots that hang on the impact gun to "get it real tight" and shear it off
    Dinan CAI &Throttle body, ESS Tuning TS2, Bimmerbrakes gen3 headers, UUC SSK & DSSR. Achilles oil pump, VAC oil pan baffle
    M3 Motor mounts, UUC Trans mounts, Modified clutch style LSD 3.15, TMS front subframe reinforcement, Koni Yellow sports,
    H&R sport springs,
    UUC sway bars, BMW Perf. Rotors, UUC SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, CSL replica wheels,
    Rotora strut bar, FXR HID conversion, M3 Mirror conversion, BSW stage 1 speakers

The Konis don't call for much torque, like 35 ft-lbs or less (depends on what type of washer and nut is being used). I used a torque wrench on my car with a Vice grips and foam padding to hold the piston still. Used the impact wrench on my sister's. Just don't over tighten.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast