Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holden's e36 ///m project/maintenance thread

I will use this thread to keep track of my maintenance and modifications of my m3.

1997 e36 m3 coupe
    -Bimmerworld coilovers
    -K&N CAI
    -Active Autowerke G3 track pipe (sections A & B) and muffler

First picture taken after purchase.

The first things I will address are maintenance items in order of importance and small modifications of little to no cost.
    Last edited by hcbeck2689; 05-19-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Bought a bulb to replace the burnt bulb for odometer and trip. Wanted to do it today but ran out of time before work.

Painted the kidney grills gloss black today. They were faded black so not sure if they were original or aftermarket, but seem to be oem quality. Fit was perfect and was quite difficult to remove them. I will reinstall tomorrow and upload some pictures.

-Holden

Put the kidney grills back on today. I waxed them before hand, because why not, and it seemed to make the spray paint look a smidge better. Unfortunately I never took a before, but just imagine 20 year old plastic.

I took it to a muffler shop to see how much they would charge to weld the crack in my pos Manzo muffler. When it was up on the lift I realized there was a much larger crack on the bottom that I had not seen before. I also asked them about hacking the mid pipe so it was not so low and hitting speed bumps, but the basically said they couldn't do it. I'm gonna try another shop and see what they say, but might end up getting a used oem midpipe for $250 and putting my BMW perf muffler on the back. Either way the muffler will be switched out once I can go get it off the car.

-Holden

Good stuff, sorry to hear about the cracks in the exhaust.

What is your car lineup right now?

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Good stuff, sorry to hear about the cracks in the exhaust.

What is your car lineup right now?
    You're looking at it.

Roger. For some reason I felt you like had two other cars...I'm losing my mind.

Time to go operate some heavy machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
    Roger. For some reason I felt you like had two other cars...I'm losing my mind.

Time to go operate some heavy machinery.
    Nope just the one. Unless I mentioned a Jeep Wrangler and exterra. My landlord leaves both of those here and I drive them when my cars in the shop or I have some use for them. Yea, my landlord is pretty cool.

My fiancée has a Ford Focus that gets killer gas mileage, like 36-38mpg hwy and 32 city(when she drives it). So we take that on out of town trips. I plan on teaching her to drive a stick in the m3. It is surprisingly smoother clutch engage than the 330i...I mean zhp, Haha, and it isn't near as nice as the zhp was so I am not going to be so anal.

Lifted the m3 up a little yesterday for some added clearance so my wheels don't rub. That was so annoying. Also added the Active Autowerke exhaust on. Very happy to get rid of the old Chinese exhaust.

-Holden
    Last edited by hcbeck2689; 05-19-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Got the car aligned today. They did not do the toe as I had asked and I am not a little confused after taking to the Tech on the phone.
    I wanted toe to be set 0.10 deg. Meaning 1/10 in. He set it to 0.00. He said that it is toed in because factory specs call for .2-.4 deg toe and that .3 would be straight and not toed at all. From my understanding the specs are like that so that the car IS toed in and there is understeer. I did not want quite as much understeer. The Tech said that the 0.00 toe actually means it is toed in, which does not sound right to me. In theory there will be less wear with zero toe, but the toe will actually pull at when throttle is applied and cause oversteer (per my understanding).
    So, should I keep the toe settings or take it back in? Looking for some help on this one.

-Holden
    Last edited by hcbeck2689; 05-19-2016 at 10:58 AM.

As far as I understood toe specs of a rwd car:

If you increase toe-in, this will result in reduced oversteer. If you increase toe-out,this will result in reduced understeer.

Most RWD cars have some negative toe-out from the factory but keep in mind toe-wear is what makes tires wear out quicker.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast