Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Does anyone have a DIY for the BMW E46 Vanos seals and rattle fix?

:confused: Or did you just use the one on the seal website? Forgot the name. I am going to be doing this but wanted to see another diy on this before I start taking stuff apart on the engine.

Thanks
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

FYI, the VANOS rattle will just return after a few thousand miles unless you do one of the anti-rattle kits. Ask me how I know.

http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html Note: this method requires you to do all of the work. You'll save some $$ but most have described it as a PITA.

http://www.drvanos.com/index.php?opt...&id=2&Itemid=3 Easier but it obviously costs more.

Don't forget you'll need a few other parts like a VC gasket, etc.

Eli, did you get the anit rattle from beisan? I was planning on getting both the seal kit and rattle kit soon but forgot I will also need a new gasket.
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

Everything you need including the procedure is at www.beisansystems.com
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I got the seal kit and had it done before the anti-rattle kits were even made. Now it needs to be done again with the anti-rattle. Dane's right, read the instructions very carefully and they tell you everything you'll need when it comes to parts.

has anyone installed the anti-rattle kit? I remember reading that there was some sanding and some minor custom fabrication involved in the installation

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

Mmmm....read through the procedure and point me to the step.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Mmmm....read through the procedure and point me to the step.
    It's way down at the bottom of the rattle fix instructions Dane.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm

You may need to do some sanding of parts if the bearing play is either too loose or too tight. I was glad I didn't have any rattle so I skipped the rattle fix. I'm sure I would have been worried about whether I was installing it with the correct amount of play in the bearing since there is no way to be sure if you have it just right. If I would have had a rattle I probably would have went with the DrVanos replacement Vanos. I went with the Beisan kit and followed his DIY and everything went great. No issues at all. Can't say I noticed any difference though before and after but I have to wonder if the PO may have already done one or the other since my valve cover gasket was nice and soft when I took it apart, not hard like I would have expected at 75,000 miles.

jj.......if you're using the Beisan kit, also along with the valve cover gasket, don't forget to order the Vanos gasket #19 since the kit doesn't come with it. I also ordered #9 and #10 just to be safe. Didn't need the bolts but the plastic blind plugs were tough to get out and got a little chewed up by my needlenose pliers so I used the new ones. For $3 it's worth it just in case. You'll also need 2 of #17 gaskets. I also replaced #3 just to be safe. Don't know if it was necessary though.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...70&hg=11&fg=15

Also I ordered a couple of spare #5 and #8 valve cover studs/nuts, also not needed. When tightening the valve cover bolts they will bottom out when they are tight so just make them snug at that point and you'll be fine. I just used a screwdriver type nut-driver with a 10mm socket on it and just tightened them all with that, no chance of over-torquing one and twisting it off. Use a 1/4 ratchet on the few back ones that you can't reach with the nut-driver.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...72&hg=11&fg=15

Barry