Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Review

From the perspective of a Continental ExtremeContact DW owner.

I've bought Conti DW's for probably the last 3 sets of tires. Before that I had Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. The Dunlops tram-lined like crazy and wore very quickly, and were very loud, although they were very grippy. The Conti DW's (not the DWS) wore very well, lasted a lot longer than the Dunlops, were quiet and comfortable, and gripped like crazy. I knew they had a soft sidewall but I had no idea how much this was killing my driving experience until I ponied up the dough and tried the Michelin PSS.

For starters, the car drives like its on rails. The steering response is incredible, and the road feel is fantastic. Grip seems very good in turns during "spirited" driving. Off the line, after 400 miles or so on the tires, I still think the Conti DW's might have had very slightly more grip. Or I've got more power now that I've got my TS2 kit running really well, so, hard to say for sure. But the grip in the turns is definitely there. The car is SO fun to drive with these tires. And they are quiet, and they don't feel harsh over bumps either.

They do slightly tram-line on crappy roads.

And oddly, I get a slight amount of rub occasionally if I hit a real deep dip in the road. I'm running OEM style 135's, stock staggered sizes, and 10mm spacers front and rear. I had zero rub with this configuration with the continental DW's and even the crappy bridgstone Turanza's that I bought for hooning (and hoon I did). So the PSS must have slightly wider tread width, or maybe the tread blocks are more "square" on the edges, because the tire size is exactly the same as the others.

Regardless, I'm very very pleased with these tires. I can't believe how much difference a good sidewall can make. I highly recommend. Best tires I've ever had.
    2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    ESS Twin Screw Stage 2 - Wavetrac - Headers - Borla - BMW Performance
    Turner Motorsports - Powerflex - Hawk Performance

Build thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...yan-s-2003-ZHP
    Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
    Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
    They do slightly tram-line on crappy roads.
    Understatement of the week.

Good review. I have PSS square on my 03 and Connie ECDW staggered on my 06.

PSS are so much more a tire. Despite tramlining with a stiffer sidewall.

Awesome, thanks for the review. Im currently on hankook Ventus v12s but planning on going with the super sports for my next tire. Looking forward to comparing the two!

18x9 ET 42 Apex EC-7's / BC Racing BR Type Coilovers / GruppeM Intake
    ECS SS Brake Lines / Coby Wheel Wrap w/ Tri-Stitch / 35% Tint / BavSound Stage 1 / Stett Intake Boots / OE Euro Clears

I just ditched the conti dw on the wife's car and went with some hankook ventus v12 evo2.

The conti dw have a soft sidewall that makes the car not feel as responsive.

Was going to get the pilot ss but the price was a factor. Maybe next time in a non stagger setup.

Glad to hear you like them.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Lazlo View Post
    Understatement of the week.

Good review. I have PSS square on my 03 and Connie ECDW staggered on my 06.

PSS are so much more a tire. Despite tramlining with a stiffer sidewall.
    huh, Ill have to look for this on the freeway with those little lines. I haven't noticed that (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Vas View Post
    I just ditched the conti dw on the wife's car and went with some hankook ventus v12 evo2.

The conti dw have a soft sidewall that makes the car not feel as responsive.

Was going to get the pilot ss but the price was a factor. Maybe next time in a non stagger setup.

Glad to hear you like them.
    Check Costco. On top of their great prices for the tires and installation, every other month they have 70 dollars off on Michelins. I got mine installed out the door for I think a little over 700?
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT. Built 11-19-04. Bought 4-2012.
    Stock: Nav, leather, PDC, Xenon
    Added by me: OEM Alarm, OEM heated seats, OEM aux kit, OEM Bluetooth, intravee, M3 strut brace, BMW Performance Intake, Nappa leather arm rest, updated LCM (triple blink, euro hazards, trifecta lighting, 3 stage brakes), temp gauge

Love the PSS tire. Picking up a set this weekend for the Fiesta ST and will be picking up a set for my car when it comes time for new sneakers. I had them on my BRZ as well and love them. Was always looking at the Conti ECDW as an alternative, and the softer sidewall would be nicer for highway cruising. After reading this review, ill stick with the PSS!

Vas, I was able to get a great deal on a set for my GFs Fiesta ST. Michilen has a 70 dollar mail in rebate going at the moment. I went on TireRack and found a coupon for a local indy shop for a freee allignment. Then instead of ordering the tires through tirerack and having to pay shipping. I had the local indy shop order the tires for me. Saved $70 from rebate, getting a free alignment ($30-50 value) and didnt pay shipping (70 dollars!!!)

Not surprised to hear you rub with the spacers. All tires differ in size regardless of if the overall size is the same. Just a thing. And the PSS differ in the right spots to make them rub when others wouldn't. Not a huge deal just something to consider.

I've had these on both the stock setup and the ARC-8's I have now. Very spoiled, though I did switch from Bridgestone runflats when I first got them and that was night and day. With the ARC-8's and the Super Sports all these mods come together and I/the car had VAST amounts of ability on track I couldn't even begin to reach the limits of. The car just gripped and gripped.

Current:
    1988 BMW 325is
    1996 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 x3 Locked - Restoration/Project Thread on ih8mud.com
    Sold:
    "Scarlett" the 2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT - Project/Maintenance Thread
    2011 BMW M3 E92 6MT - Info/Maintenance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GotZHP View Post
    Vas, I was able to get a great deal on a set for my GFs Fiesta ST. Michilen has a 70 dollar mail in rebate going at the moment. I went on TireRack and found a coupon for a local indy shop for a freee allignment. Then instead of ordering the tires through tirerack and having to pay shipping. I had the local indy shop order the tires for me. Saved $70 from rebate, getting a free alignment ($30-50 value) and didnt pay shipping (70 dollars!!!)
    Thanks for the heads up about the rebate. However the tires were still out of my budget in the factory tire size for the zhp. They end up being over $700 for a set so I jumped this time on the Hankook rebate/sale and got a new set of summers for the wife's car for $452 plus $60 to mount.

His - 2004 Imola Red / Alcantara 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

Her's - 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather 330i | 6MT | ZHP |

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalZman View Post
    huh, Ill have to look for this on the freeway with those little lines. I haven't noticed that (yet)

Check Costco. On top of their great prices for the tires and installation, every other month they have 70 dollars off on Michelins. I got mine installed out the door for I think a little over 700?
    That's where I got mine.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast