Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Repair Paint or Leave it Original?

I've read a few articles advocating leaving a car's paint completely original to improve resell value. (More collectible that way, I guess? ) They discourage things like using touch-up kits or respraying individual body panels as they'll likely stand out down the road as the paint ages; short of a professional full vehicle respray in the original color, don't touch it. (I'd assume clearcoat corrections (i.e. swirls, shallow scratches, etc.) wouldn't ruin anything in this regard.)

What do you think? Crazy or spot-on advice?

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

I would leave it original. My e46 is going into the bodyshop to have alot of paint correction (dents, dings, scratches, and rust) in the near future. I am staying with the original color because it costs less to stay with. I had one of my 240sxs repainted in a different color which cost about $1500 more because the shop had to spray the door jams, under the hood, and under the rear hatch.
    Last edited by mikeyb74; 03-23-2011 at 07:21 AM.
    "The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

2009 Horizon Blue Mini R56 Cooper S 6spd
    2012 Pepper White Mini R56 "Justa" Cooper 6spd
    On the hunt for an e30, z3, or 318ti...

I would leave it original. I subscribe to the theory that a respray lowers the value of the car. Is it a theory, though? I don't know. It's what I've "heard."

I don't think our cars are in the class of vehicles yet (and they may never be in that class) where people would pay more for "original". I'm thinking most ZHP buyers would rather see a quality respray of a hood and bumper than to see one covered in rock chips. The key being "quality".

^my gut agrees with this

Sent using alien technology and Tapatalk
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    I don't think our cars are in the class of vehicles yet (and they may never be in that class) where people would pay more for "original". I'm thinking most ZHP buyers would rather see a quality respray of a hood and bumper than to see one covered in rock chips. The key being "quality".
    This was my train of thought with re-shooting the front bumper. And when the hood has too many chips and Dr Colorchip fills for my liking , I'll re-shoot that as well.

Easy decision for me, though, as I don't plan on ever selling her...
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

+1
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I can agree with that, too. A few rock chips? I would not paint. A lot of rock chips, I would paint.

Thanks, Eli.

A full color change is a pain in the ass and very expensive/time consuming to do it correctly. I would touch up what you need to though, and it shouldn't hurt the resale as long as its done properly.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

This is true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast