Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question What are the best-stopping pads for OE BMW brakes?

Has anyone here found pads that stop better (initial bite, fade, etc.) than OE? I'm about to change my rear pads and rotors (OE BMW Performance Rotors), followed shortly by fronts. I've only done this once before, and used stock BMW OE pads. I'm willing to trade more brake dust/rotor wear and a little more noise for better performance (I'm this way about the brakes on my bicycles, too...one can never have too much stopping power, IMHO).

I'll be checking back here because I have to order some brakes ASAP.

I really like my hawk HPS pads. They are so much eaiser on your wheels than the OEM BMW pads. Virtually no dust in comparison, stops great too.
    http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6136/5934684585_efb25fa4b8_m.jpg
    My garage: 08' Alpine White 135i Coupe putting out 405 wHP to BOTH rear wheels. 05' LeMans Blue X5 4.8is that I like to call Truckmeat. Socketheads 05' Dinan tuned ZHP, and a few Hondas to keep it real.

Ceramic?

Hawk pads are win. They stop on a dime, no fade but, you will have to turn your rotors more often.

Quote Originally Posted by kpro View Post
    I really like my hawk HPS pads. They are so much eaiser on your wheels than the OEM BMW pads. Virtually no dust in comparison, stops great too.
    Huh? Did you just saw Hawk and no dust in the same post? I-don't-think-so.
    Hawks dust like crazy, but they stop you like you wouldn't believe.

I would recommend Hawk HPS for street-oriented driving or HP+ pads for more auto-x or track type usage.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Huh? Did you just saw Hawk and no dust in the same post? I-don't-think-so.
    Hawks dust like crazy, but they stop you like you wouldn't believe.

I would recommend Hawk HPS for street-oriented driving or HP+ pads for more auto-x or track type usage.
    Hawks HPS & HP+ are NOT recommended for the track - when their relatively low MOT level of 750°F is exceeded their friction level falls off rapidly. They are fine for autocross. I ended up going with Stoptech Street Performance pads - we'll see how they do.

My Project Thread
    Register Your ZHP | CoolantSnitch

2005 ZHP 6MT Mods: AFE Intake, Carbon Fiber Hood w/ M3 Bulge, Meyle HD FCAB's, Zionsville T-Stat @ 88°C, Stewart WP, BMW Perf. Rotors F+R, Oil Temp & Press. Gauges, Alcantara Wheel w/ CF Trim, Alum. Pedals + E-Brake, Black Kidney's, Aux Input, Beltronics RX-75 Pro Radar Detector, Beisan Seals + Rattle Kit, Armrest Delete, Schroth Harness, StopTech Pads, SSR Comp-H's

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Hawks HPS & HP+ are NOT recommended for the track - when their relatively low MOT level of 750°F is exceeded their friction level falls off rapidly. They are fine for autocross. I ended up going with Stoptech Street Performance pads - we'll see how they do.
    Hawk says HP+ is suitable for the track. I've used them (both HPS and HP+) and they were fine through each 20-minute session...
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterC17 View Post
    Report back on the Stoptech's. Im interested to see how they compare to OEM in terms of performance and dust.

DROID2

03 TiAg 330i ZHP
    -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by HaloArchive View Post
    Hawk pads are win. They stop on a dime, no fade but, you will have to turn your rotors more often.
    BMW recommend replacing OE pads and rotors at the same time, and these are BMW Performance rotors; I'm not sure they can be turned. Why do Hawk pads necessitate more-frequent turning anyway? Do they wear unevenly?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast