Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @ Prestovie... A radar detector is not used to tell you it's okay to speed. If you use a radar detector for this purpose then you will eventually get nailed by any police officer. Sometimes they sit completely passive, as you found out, until they see you and then point their radar/laser guns at your car and light you up at the very last minute. The radar detector is still doing it's job by detecting the radar/laser the police is lighting your ass up with but by then it is way too late. I used to use radar detectors with that mindset and got my share of speeding tickets.

I now use my Valentine V1 as an additional device to help aid in my situational awareness and not as a means to allow me to speed with relative impunity. Since changing my mindset in the use of radar detectors, I have not gotten any speeding tickets in 20 years now (knock on wood). They are awesome devices that can still alert you to presence of police. It is unfortunate you got nailed doing 94 in a 70... hope things will work out for you

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    I have a Valentine One hardwired using Stealth Assist on my iPhone. Works great and has saved me from getting around 4 tickets over the last year. If they hit you with laser it's instant on and very hard to react fast enough to slow down and not get a ticket. Honestly having a radar detector has taught me to slow down. There is a used Valentine One for sale over on the M3Forum for $380- http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ight=Valentine
    I might return this one and try the Valentine One out, thanks. And what's stealth mode? Does it work on iPhone?

2004 BMW 330i TiAg ZHP/// 6MT(purchased from forum 6/06/16);
    KONI Yellows | Akebono Brake Pads | ECIS cold air intake system;
    Hotchkis Sport sway bar | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber front strut brace
    Vibrant Performance Muffler | Coby Wheel Tri-Stitch steering wheel & shift boot
    Michelin PSS | Blizzak WS-80

@cakM3 I can see why now lol, but it definitely did its job in the sense of notifying me when I'm getting gunned, may have saved me from a class A misdemeanor(missed it by 2mph). I'll definitely have to check out the Valentine One and improve my usage of detectors

2004 BMW 330i TiAg ZHP/// 6MT(purchased from forum 6/06/16);
    KONI Yellows | Akebono Brake Pads | ECIS cold air intake system;
    Hotchkis Sport sway bar | ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber front strut brace
    Vibrant Performance Muffler | Coby Wheel Tri-Stitch steering wheel & shift boot
    Michelin PSS | Blizzak WS-80

I've used a V1 for many years and I've used a 9500ix for multiple years. Both beep and my brain reacts to the beeps and I get off the throttle and do a speed check before braking if I am traveling at a speed more than traffic is flowing at. The V1 arrows is only there for peace of mind and the control freak in the driver who wants to know where the signal is coming from. No matter what, if the audible thread is strong, you aren't going to test your top speed so arrows are just there for your entertainment.

The V1's beeps are less intrusive and pleasant to the ear. In an area with a lot of radar it can be tiresome. The arrows flash all over because in the city the radar bounces off buildings and makes it look like there are multiple bogeys. I'm always hitting the volume button to mute/quiet the beeping when they go off. In the open highway the device is great and when the right radar is used, the V1's strengths come alive, the arrows become more accurate and it will somewhat protect you from your lack of discipline with the right pedal. LOL

Where the older V1 leaves off, the newer 9500ix picks up from it's later technology using GPS. After some time of driving in your regular stomping grounds the 9500ix will remember those locations of repetitive frequency and auto-cancel them out after 3 false alarms. You can manually cancel a known location out by just pressing the mute button three times. Radar range is fine just like the V1 and you can set the 9500ix to give verbal warnings so you don't have to be distracted and look at the display. The 9500ix will show multiple threats with multiple strength bars so you can see if there are 2 X-bands, 1 K-band, and 1 Ka-band as well as which one is the strongest. The 9500ix also has X-band lockout so it won't go off on any X-band should your state/location not use X for speed detection. The 9500ix is networked online a database of known locations for speed cameras so the detector will warn you when you are very close to approaching a red light/speed camera. As you approach you just hear "speed camera ahead" and as you pass the camera it'll say "you have reached your marked location". The good thing with the 9500ix GPS you can set it to tell your actual speed in kmh/mph or battery voltage.

The patent for V1 arrows has expired for Valentine and the newer generation Passport has taken advantage to implement that function.

No matter what a radar detector makes you feel more invincible than without one. I am conscious that I drive differently with and without a detector even though I say I'm the same. I've learned to curb most of that attitude because a radar detector doesn't guarantee anything and if it's constantly "saving" you from a real ticket, you need to really do a reality check in your driving habits because those will catch up to you in a much worst way than just a ticket. I'm not going to say I'm a saint but follow the law and let a radar detector supplement you in driving a vehicle that is easy to overspeed against a sign because of it's smoothness and power. The best detector is your brain and attitude. In the 8 years I daily drove my ZHP, I was served 3 minor speeding tickets. The M3 I've daily driven for over 2 years and haven't got anything, knock on wood. LOL.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Radar Detector Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Prestovie View Post
    I might return this one and try the Valentine One out, thanks. And what's stealth mode? Does it work on iPhone?
    It's an App for use with the Valentine One, and Yes it work with the iPhone. I have my phone mounted on the dash using a Bimmian mount. When using the Stealth Assist app you can see it easily.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 06-05-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

I have a V1 hardwired in my TDI for daily commute. I turned off K, X because of all the false alarms here. I only have KA and laser on. My V1 is older so the laser has alot of false alarms with the Volvo and Mazda's with their stupid cruise control stuff.

Remember that it is a radar detector. Half the cops out here don't even have it on a lot of the times so I could easily pass a highway patrol car without the V1 even going off.

Quote Originally Posted by Prestovie View Post
    WOW is all that I can say
    I purchased my own 9500ix yesterday morning from Best Buy, and have been driving around with it since. I'm currently in a restaurant halfway between Chicago and Virginia(to pick up a ZHP!) and have been high tailing it over on route 80E, sometimes hitting the speed limiter on my brothers 2006 530xi(135mp, but that's not why I'm posting this)
    No, I'm posting this because of my new radar detector. In the past day or so it had been really helpful surprisingly, and has notified me of a few cops a good distance away. But of course, when there is stationary charger about 1/4mile away NOTHING.
    Thank god I was only going 94 in a 70, but it could have been much, much worse. All of a sudden the 9500ix starts beeping it's head off, and lone behold I'm being gunned at that very moment.
    So, I will now be returning this $350 "radar detector" and putting the money towards my ticket and court fees.
    There is nothing you can do against laser, short of jamming it, which is usually illegal. Nothing wrong with your radar detector - they can't detect what's not there, and it sounds like that cop simply waited to turn on his radar at the last second, knowing he'd get you. It's a cat & mouse game, and in this case you lost. Roll with the punches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    I've used a V1 for many years and I've used a 9500ix for multiple years. Both beep and my brain reacts to the beeps and I get off the throttle and do a speed check before braking if I am traveling at a speed more than traffic is flowing at. The V1 arrows is only there for peace of mind and the control freak in the driver who wants to know where the signal is coming from. No matter what, if the audible thread is strong, you aren't going to test your top speed so arrows are just there for your entertainment.

The V1's beeps are less intrusive and pleasant to the ear. In an area with a lot of radar it can be tiresome. The arrows flash all over because in the city the radar bounces off buildings and makes it look like there are multiple bogeys. I'm always hitting the volume button to mute/quiet the beeping when they go off. In the open highway the device is great and when the right radar is used, the V1's strengths come alive, the arrows become more accurate and it will somewhat protect you from your lack of discipline with the right pedal. LOL

Where the older V1 leaves off, the newer 9500ix picks up from it's later technology using GPS. After some time of driving in your regular stomping grounds the 9500ix will remember those locations of repetitive frequency and auto-cancel them out after 3 false alarms. You can manually cancel a known location out by just pressing the mute button three times. Radar range is fine just like the V1 and you can set the 9500ix to give verbal warnings so you don't have to be distracted and look at the display. The 9500ix will show multiple threats with multiple strength bars so you can see if there are 2 X-bands, 1 K-band, and 1 Ka-band as well as which one is the strongest. The 9500ix also has X-band lockout so it won't go off on any X-band should your state/location not use X for speed detection. The 9500ix is networked online a database of known locations for speed cameras so the detector will warn you when you are very close to approaching a red light/speed camera. As you approach you just hear "speed camera ahead" and as you pass the camera it'll say "you have reached your marked location". The good thing with the 9500ix GPS you can set it to tell your actual speed in kmh/mph or battery voltage.

The patent for V1 arrows has expired for Valentine and the newer generation Passport has taken advantage to implement that function.

No matter what a radar detector makes you feel more invincible than without one. I am conscious that I drive differently with and without a detector even though I say I'm the same. I've learned to curb most of that attitude because a radar detector doesn't guarantee anything and if it's constantly "saving" you from a real ticket, you need to really do a reality check in your driving habits because those will catch up to you in a much worst way than just a ticket. I'm not going to say I'm a saint but follow the law and let a radar detector supplement you in driving a vehicle that is easy to overspeed against a sign because of it's smoothness and power. The best detector is your brain and attitude. In the 8 years I daily drove my ZHP, I was served 3 minor speeding tickets. The M3 I've daily driven for over 2 years and haven't got anything, knock on wood. LOL.
    Great thoughts Trev
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Thanks Seth!

I really do mean it guys. If your intent to get a radar detector is to beat the system you're in for a much more costly future. I use it because when it beeps it reminds me to check my speed. Use your head to play responsibly. Don't use technology as an entitlement to play.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Agreed and no matter what radar you're using if you're doing 94 in a 70, you're gonna be nailed. Trust me I had a suspended license once when I was younger for speeding like a dumbass like that. 3 tickets in 3 months including a 125/65... 5mph from going to jail. It's not worth it (to me anymore at least).

If you need to drive flat out, don't be doing it on an interstate in rural America, thats how all of those counties make their money. You're better off going 100mph through downtown Chicago than in the middle of Ohio where nobody is around.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast